The results are in...LSU fans really hate us!

AUHansel

My rivalry order is this...

1. UGA (mostly because I am from Georgia and damn I hate their fans!

2. Alabama (I never cared a whole lot about this one until i moved from georgia to Auburn as a student, and then the full extent of this rivalry hit me)

3. LSU

Is it just me, or did the Auburn/LSU rivalry go from good to great in September, 1994 - when LSU's Jamie Howard kept trying to throw passes on third down.  5 fourth quarter picks, 3 returned for touchdowns, Auburn wins 30-26. 

Anybody know who got each of the five picks?  Good trivia question there.. and for a bonus, who scored the defensive TD in the second quarter for the Plainsmen on a fumble?

152701[/snapback]

Don't remember who picked them all...but I was there, as my season tickets are in that wonderful North End Zone!!! :big:

:au::homer:

i personally love the LSU rivalry.  it is a close second to me behind alabama.  i will never forget the way i felt as a kid in 88 after the Earthquake game, being in the upper deck for the 94 INT game, or sitting as a freshman student right behind the fire of the 96 game (if Dameyune doesn't get hurt i still say we win that game!  :angry: ).  my favorite road game of all time is the 97 game in Baton Rouge.  I've never been more excited in my life and I still love seeing me and my best friend on the ESPN replays. 

my goodnes, how much longer till fall practice starts?????????

152726[/snapback]

As an LSU fan I too love the Auburn rivalry. I look forward to playing Auburn every year. I think some AU fans are reluctant to admit just how much of a rivalry LSU/AU has become. I think there's a good kind of hate between LSU and AU. I wouldn't want to like every team we play on our schedule. I respect AU as a program but they are one of the teams I'd like to beat the most and I think that really adds to my overall college football enjoyment. In that sense it's good to see some AU fans on here downplaying the rivalry. They feel like if they make the rivalry out to be an important one they are somehow giving credence to LSU and that's the last thing they want to do. But we all know how important the LSU/AU game has been in recent years. That can't be denied.

I'm 20.  However, my first memories of Auburn were living two apartments down from Toomer's Corner in 1989 when some game ended 30-20 and we rolled Toomer's for about three years.

152719[/snapback]

I was one of the students rolling it.

Damn, I feel old...

152725[/snapback]

I was right there, too. And the reason we FEEL old is because we ARE old.

i personally love the LSU rivalry.  it is a close second to me behind alabama.  i will never forget the way i felt as a kid in 88 after the Earthquake game, being in the upper deck for the 94 INT game, or sitting as a freshman student right behind the fire of the 96 game (if Dameyune doesn't get hurt i still say we win that game!   :angry: ).  my favorite road game of all time is the 97 game in Baton Rouge.  I've never been more excited in my life and I still love seeing me and my best friend on the ESPN replays. 

my goodnes, how much longer till fall practice starts?????????

152726[/snapback]

As an LSU fan I too love the Auburn rivalry. I look forward to playing Auburn every year. I think some AU fans are reluctant to admit just how much of a rivalry LSU/AU has become. I think there's a good kind of hate between LSU and AU. I wouldn't want to like every team we play on our schedule. I respect AU as a program but they are one of the teams I'd like to beat the most and I think that really adds to my overall college football enjoyment. In that sense it's good to see some AU fans on here downplaying the rivalry. They feel like if they make the rivalry out to be an important one they are somehow giving credence to LSU and that's the last thing they want to do. But we all know how important the LSU/AU game has been in recent years. That can't be denied.

152973[/snapback]

I love the lsu/au rivalry. It is a big rivalry. It has not though and will probably never surpass the uat and uga rivalries.

Ok since I will attempt to explain this as best I can. As most of you know LSU and Tulane used to be serious rivals. However, Tulane's football program got on a serious decline and they could no longer compete with LSU. In about 1997 I believe, LSU and Tulane ended their yearly match up which lasted over 100 years. This left LSU without an arch rival. LSU and Arkansas tried to start a rivalry with the "Battle For the Boot" game. This never really took to LSU fans since we own Arkansas. In the SEC West the last few years Auburn and LSU have been the only teams to actually have a shot at winning it. So naturally LSU now looks at Auburn as its main rival since you guys are the only one that can challenge, and even beat us out for the division crown. You guys should really take this as a compliment instead of letting it bother you.

Fumble was recovered by Chris Schelling (i think)

Interceptions were returned by Alvis (greatest int return ever - he broke 6 tackles to score) then Smith then Robinson.

To the point of the thread, lsu is a DISTANT third on our rival list and if my wife weren't a who, I probably wouldn't give them much thought at all.

Fumble was recovered by Chris Schelling (i think)

Interceptions were returned by Alvis (greatest int return ever - he broke 6 tackles to score) then Smith then Robinson.

To the point of the thread, lsu is a DISTANT third on our rival list and if my wife weren't a who, I probably wouldn't give them much thought at all.

153235[/snapback]

My List...

ALABAMA------HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE, HATE :thumbsdown:

GEORGIA------HATE, HATE, HATE

FLORIDA-------HATE, HATE (fading fast)

LSU------------Hate

Ole Mrs.--------hard to hate a poor pitiful retarded kid.

LSU might take 3rd place this year.

At least there's some form of respect in the AU/UGA and AU/UA rivalries. I couldn't give a rat's (nutria for them) ass about lswho and their fans...just as long as we beat 'em, I couldn't care less.

Cajuns.....bluggghh. icon8.gif

It takes some time to build a rivalry tradition. Georgia is our oldest rival, dating from 1892. We started playing uat and GT about the same time, but had the notorious 41 year break in the bama series. The natural in-state rivalry has proven to be enough to keep the tide on our most hated list. Regrettably, our annual game with GT ended in 1987, but the rivalry had cooled off a bit after GT left the SEC in the 60s. We started playing Florida in 1912 and missed very few years playing them, so they are a time-honored rival. Florida was our first opponent in Cliff Hare Stadium.

The continuous Tennessee series started in 1956 and ended in 1991, when the conference expanded and split. The modern LSU series started in 1969, but didn't become an annual event until 1992. Other longtime rivals are Miss. State and Kentucky, but those programs have not been strong enough to keep the rivalry hot.

I ramble through all this partly to show that Auburn is really an SEC East team trapped in the West. I can't recall the details, but there was a lot of discussion during the SEC realignment as to whether Auburn would be placed in the East or West. Auburn officials wanted to be in the East, as I recall, because UT, UF, and UGA were our strongest rivals outside bama. The fact that we are now in the West is effecting a change in our rivalry hierarchy that may take a few more years to mature. I still don't see LSU as a traditional rival because I was out of school before the modern series started; still, there have been some great games between the two schools, and unquestionably the foundation is laid for a legendary rivalry.

Damn, this would be a good subject for a term paper, if one could find the course to fit it into.

LSU will probably become a bigger rivalry as time goes on due to the conference division. But UT was a big rival for so long and it was a good one. Especially since they were one of the schools who felt like they were "too good" to come to Auburn, like Bama did. With the new cross divisional rotation, we will see UT more frequently than we have the past 12 years so it might get renewed.

I think geography contributes to the "rival" definition for many of us. Sharing state borders with Tennessee, Georgia and Florida means more exposure their fans. Although the panhandle isn't solely Gator country.

The tradition with Bama, Georgia and UT will probably keep them at the top of the list of rivals. But with UF rotating and LSU being an annual opponent, they may share fourth spot on the list.

I think the term "Traditional rival" carries a lot of weight when it comes to the UT and UF rivalries and some of the younger posters here probably don't really think of them as any more a rival than anyone else on our schedule. Recently, LSU has become as hated and heated a rivalry as any team we face.

For me, Bama is and always will be the one game on the schedule we have to win. After that, UGA then LSU.

Ok since I will attempt to explain this as best I can. As most of you know LSU and Tulane used to be serious rivals. However, Tulane's football program got on a serious decline and they could no longer compete with LSU. In about 1997 I believe, LSU and Tulane ended their yearly match up which lasted over 100 years. This left LSU without an arch rival. LSU and Arkansas tried to start a rivalry with the "Battle For the Boot" game. This never really took to LSU fans since we own Arkansas. In the SEC West the last few years Auburn and LSU have been the only teams to actually have a shot at winning it. So naturally LSU now looks at Auburn as its main rival since you guys are the only one that can challenge, and even beat us out for the division crown. You guys should really take this as a compliment instead of letting it bother you.

153203[/snapback]

It seems as though it is more of a case of many of your coona$$ variety of fans are overly angered by the fact that we don't list you as a higher rival than we do.

No one will ever overtake bammer as our #1. UGA and AU is one of the oldest rivalries in college football. Dude just spend enough time here or roam through our archives (Geauxtigers is a good one to follow) and you can easily see where most of the dislike for lsu fans on this forum comes from.

153203[/snapback]

Is that why yall replaced Tulane with Louisiana Lafayette? La Tech?

In defense of LSU, Tulane started to think in their own mind that they were as good as other big time teams and wanted LSU to share way too much money with them.

I agree with LSU to tell Toolame to go "F-THEMSELVES" as they did.

From reading these posts you can see how much SEC expansion splintered Auburn's rivalry structure. Many older fans still list UT and UF as rivals and some even still think of GT as a rival. At the same time, many of the students and recent alumni see LSU as the next great rival. I think this trend will continue until UF and UT will be considered just another SEC team with historic ties to Auburn and LSU will become the next great rival. I think while the UGA game is still intact and has much history, its signifigance is marginalized because they are in the SEC east. As it stands right now, the LSU game is the most important game for Auburn every year. It's the game that makes or breaks Auburn's season.

True enough. Auburn and lsWHO are the only two powers in the West and thus they are becoming strong rivals. :au:

Archived