WAR EAGLE CHALLENGE

Starts Thursday night at 6 at Jane B. Moore with Auburn vs. Michigan State, who bookends the tournament for us.  We also play Radford twice, with single games against Mercer and Louisville.  Michigan State, despite having lost only 2-1 to alabama, is only 5-12 on the season.  It looks as though the strongest challenge will come from 11-6 Louisville.  They split two games with Michigan and run-ruled Cal State Fullerton on the Titans' home field, behind a 1-hit pitching performance from Danielle Watson.  The Cardinals have 3 pitchers with ERAs in the low 2s, who have about evenly split innings so far, so idk which one we'll see.  Unfortunately, we play Louisville on Saturday, and the Saturday games are not televised.

We will welcome former AU players Laney Joyner of MSU and Blair Bass of Louisville back to the Plains - I think.  Bass is listed on the roster, but doesn't show up in the stats.  Louisville also has Cassady Greenwood of Oak Mountain HS, whom I suspect of being Carmyn's sister.

Slot Canyon usually gives us a scouting report on these things, but we haven't heard from Slot since before the Judi Garman, which he was going to watch on FloSoftball.  Perhaps he has gotten engrossed in watching every game available, and is even now watching Muhlenburg v. Canisius.

Flash bulletin:  Grand Canyon beat #1 Florida State tonight.  That leaves those people across the state as the lone remaining undefeated team.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, OlderWhiskey said:

Starts Thursday night at 6 at Jane B. Moore with Auburn vs. Michigan State, who bookends the tournament for us.  We also play Radford twice, with single games against Mercer and Louisville.  Michigan State, despite having lost only 2-1 to alabama, is only 5-12 on the season.  It looks as though the strongest challenge will come from 11-6 Louisville.  They split two games with Michigan and run-ruled Cal State Fullerton on the Titans' home field, behind a 1-hit pitching performance from Danielle Watson.  The Cardinals have 3 pitchers with ERAs in the low 2s, who have about evenly split innings so far, so idk which one we'll see.  Unfortunately, we play Louisville on Saturday, and the Saturday games are not televised.

We will welcome former AU players Laney Joyner of MSU and Blair Bass of Louisville back to the Plains - I think.  Bass is listed on the roster, but doesn't show up in the stats.  Louisville also has Cassady Greenwood of Oak Mountain HS, whom I suspect of being Carmyn's sister.

Slot Canyon usually gives us a scouting report on these things, but we haven't heard from Slot since before the Judi Garman, which he was going to watch on FloSoftball.  Perhaps he has gotten engrossed in watching every game available, and is even now watching Muhlenburg v. Canisius.

Flash bulletin:  Grand Canyon beat #1 Florida State tonight.  That leaves those people across the state as the lone remaining undefeated team.

Thanks for the preview.  I had glanced at some of the teams and stats and am of the same opinion you posted above.  Cassady Greenwood, a freshman catcher at Louisville, is Carmyn's younger sister.  Yes, I have been trying to get my $'s worth from my 1 month subscription to Flosoftball (intend to post my impression later).  Currently the Spring Games in Clermont, Florida are underway  (Feb. 22 - March 30) and is billed as the largest college softball event in the world with almost 400 teams participating.  From the few games I have tuned in there seems to be a camera located behind home plate which televises the game with no announcer.  Today I will be riveted to the computer watching a couple of morning matchups.  First game will be a couple of NCAA III teams Thiel College vs Trine University.  Second game will be Widner University vs Otterbein University.  I may miss the AU game today as I suspect I will be watching Concordia College Moorhead (Cobbers) from Minnesota playing Eastern University.  Don't know if anyone caught it but Concordia lost a defensive battle with Widner yesterday 17 -10.  Humor aside; not making fun of any of these teams.  Impressive how many young ladies put in the time and effort into playing this sport at so many levels.   Unfortunately, I don't believe Muhlenburg and Canisius play this year but that is a match up I would love to watch.  Looks like our Sunday games my be in jeopardy if current rain outlook holds.

Games on TV.  Just a comment to everyone.  I have been a little disappointed that all of the home, pre-SEC games haven't been televised.  If course, the reason is that we don't have enough crews to handle all of the events - per AD Green.   ( and as he indicated - this is a repeat of last year)  If you are unhappy with the coverage I encourage you to send him an email at agreene15@auburn.edu  Seems to me that they should plan accordingly since it will repeat year after year.

I suggested to him the one camera behind home plate would be better than nothing.....just a thought.

9 minutes ago, warladytigers said:

Games on TV.  Just a comment to everyone.  I have been a little disappointed that all of the home, pre-SEC games haven't been televised.  If course, the reason is that we don't have enough crews to handle all of the events - per AD Green.   ( and as he indicated - this is a repeat of last year)  If you are unhappy with the coverage I encourage you to send him an email at agreene15@auburn.edu  Seems to me that they should plan accordingly since it will repeat year after year.

I suggested to him the one camera behind home plate would be better than nothing.....just a thought.

The networks are in the heat of college basketball season.  There are very few softball games ever televised until basketball regular season is over.  After that, we have numerous games scheduled for TV.  

8 hours ago, slot canyon said:

Unfortunately, I don't believe Muhlenburg and Canisius play this year but that is a match up I would love to watch.  

Canisius would run-rule them anyway.

Game is streaming tonight....Martin looking good in her second inning.....took her about 7 pitches to get the Spartans in order.

AU coming to bat.....0-0 in bottom of the second inning...

Double play by AU to get out of big jam without giving up a run....nice job by the infield...

AU still up 2-0 

Martin getting out of a few troubles....but some timely pitches and good defense gets it done.......AU now up 4-0 in bottom of 5th...'

Tannen Snow with a dinger.....her 7th and it's AU by 5-0

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

I will say MSU 2nd basemen and SS are very good infielders

2bman is Laney Joyner, who transferred to MSU from Auburn.

Just watched the game on replay and thought we played very well.  Couple of dingers, manufactured a couple of runs, plus an RBI single by Tannon.  Good baserunning, great defense in the 3d to get out of that jam and hold MSU scoreless despite Makayla's not having her best stuff.  Crack missed a homer by 3 feet, and got robbed by Joyner in the 5th, or it would have been 6-0 on Tannon's big fly.  Rivera just missed a double in the 5th as well.

BTW, watching the game on replay was an adventure.  ESPN tended to lose the stream at every changeover; I had to start over at least a half a dozen times, and guess where to slide the ball to. I did surprisingly well. Radford and Mercer tomorrow, and I hope we don't see Martin. I think they have re-sequenced the games a bit, and we now end with Radford on Sunday.

My favorite plays last night in the Michigan State game were the back to back bunts with Bree ending up making it to 3rd base off the throwing error into right field and then getting home off of the Podany bunt.  We have not been good at bunting for the most part this season.  The revised schedule today has Radfrod at 2 and Mercer at 4:30.  Both listed as being on SEC+.

I heard the announcer say that, due to projected bad weather on Sunday, they had rescheduled the games for two  today, two on Saturday, and none on Sunday.  Did I hear incorrectly?

The second game with Radford is still listed at 12:30 Sunday. Originally, MSU was in that slot. The second game with MSU is now at 4:30 Saturday, and is listed as SEC+ TV. Interesting. The Louisville game is still not being televised. I judged that Tannon Snow had her best game ever for us last night. She had an RBI single plus the homer, scored from second on the attemmpted DP, and had the double play that snuffed out MSU's best scoring opportunity.

Louisville beats Radford 1-0 on six hits; playing Mich. St. now.

Edit:  Louisville defeated Mich. St. 14-1 in 5 innings.

OK...let's play ball....game ready to get under way...streaming on watch ESPN...looks like a  nice day

Ouch….Radford starts with back to back singles....AU gets a couple out and then the catcher hits one to the wall in left and two runs score....A couple of playable balls IMO...but anyway, the runs score and Swindle is behind 2-0 after the top of the first...

Well...bottom of the third and AU down 2-1.....

AU takes advantage of infield hit, couple errors, and fc to score two runs and go ahead 4-2 in top of 6th.    Fortunate to be in the lead today at this point. 

Veach tags one over right center ….#8 and AU goes up 5-2 in 6th 

Swindle goes the distance...5-2 win over Radford...

Archived