Campbell a Redskin??

woods1110

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft05/colu..._len&id=2041257

Redskins targeting Auburn's Campbell

Pasquarelli

By Len Pasquarelli

ESPN.com

Just three years after investing a first-round choice on quarterback Patrick Ramsey, the Washington Redskins are plotting to acquire the possible replacement for the man who currently holds the top spot on their depth chart.

Washington, already slated to pick ninth overall, added a second selection in the first round of the 2005 draft on Tuesday night, acquiring the 25th pick overall from the Denver Broncos. The prospect Washington brass is eyeing at No. 25? Auburn quarterback Jason Campbell.

In return for the Broncos' first-round choice, which Denver officials have been shopping for the past few days, the Redskins surrendered their third-round pick (76th overall) in this year's draft, along with first- and fourth-round selections in 2006. The haul is reflective of the regard in which they hold Campbell, who was 31-8 as a starter in college.

Even before their most substantive predraft review of the position late last week, Redskins coaches and scouts had regarded Campbell as on par with Alex Smith of Utah and California's Aaron Rodgers, generally regarded as the top two quarterback prospects. A lengthy film study of Campbell further strengthened Washington's resolve to move on the Auburn quarterback.

During his 46 appearances for the Tigers, Campbell completed 552 of 854 passes for 7,299 yards, with 45 touchdown passes and 24 interceptions. Despite playing under different offensive coordinators during each of his four seasons, Campbell completed more than 60 percent of his passes all four years. He completed 69.6 percent of his attempts while leading undefeated Auburn to a No. 2 ranking and a 16-13 win over Virginia Tech in the Sugar Bowl.

The Redskins now must guard against another team jumping ahead of them and grabbing Campbell, one of the draft's fastest rising prospects.

Certainly the flirtation with Campbell is not good news for Ramsey, the Redskins' top pick in the 2002 draft (32nd overall) and the man who finished the 2004 season as Washington's starter. The former Tulane star replaced Mark Brunell in the lineup for the second half of the season and started the final seven games.

Washington might entertain a trade for Ramsey, provided they get Campbell and feel he can play immediately for them. Brunell and Tim Hasselbeck, who on Monday signed his one-year restricted free agent qualifying offer of $656,000, remain on the roster.

For his career, the 26-year-old Ramsey has completed 465 of 836 passes for 5,370 yards, with 33 touchdown passes and 28 interceptions. He has started in 23 of 29 appearances.

Meanwhile, the Redskins say they aren't trading their No. 9 pick, which they'll likely use on a cornerback, but they're not ruling out any possibilities.

"Right now, we've had no discussions with anyone about trading away the ninth pick," team president and coach Joe Gibbs said. "Are we considering any options we are presented with? Yes. We'll consider anything, but no one has presented a compelling scenario."

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

I am so glad that things are working for Jason. It would be great if Washington used the ninth pick to get Carlos and the 25th for Jason.

After purchasing half-a-season of Redskin tix each of the past 3 years, I swore that next year I was going to save my money. The stadium is too commercialized, the fans have watched too many Coors Light commercials and feel the need to be angry and drunk and the team has looked like they had Hugh Nall as an Offensive Coordinator.

But if Jason is here ... WAR DAMN EAGLE and HAIL TO THE REDSKINS !!!

btw, the Redskins are expected to take a corner with their 1st choice. They are talking Rolle, but I think Carlos is better. Wouldnt that be something?

And in case you missed it, Redskins had the best D in the country last year and the ony PRO-Bowl selection from that squad was Marcus Washington.

Yeah, I know the Titans are lookin' at Antrel Rolle, too (which makes no sense because they just got rid of his brother, but whatever). I've heard Carlos may go to the Redskins, too. Or possibly Pac Man Jones.

Just as a Titans fan, I hope they skip Rolle and take Carlos, but call me biased.

anyone know who the last super bowl winning team with a black starting QB?

wasn't it the Redskins?

Yeah it was Doug Williams with the Redskins.

I think 3 have made it to the superbowl.

Doug Williams, Steve McNair (Titans, another team supposedly interested in Jason), and Donovan McNabb.

Also, ESPN's latest mock draft has the Browns passing up Aaron Rodgers at the 3rd pick and taking Braylon Edwards instead.

And then using their 3rd pick in the 2nd round on Jason Campbell. Apparently there isn't enough of a drop-off between Rodgers and Jason to warrent taking one a full round up, when they could use it on another valuable player.

From today's Wash Post:

Following Coach Joe Gibbs's trip to Auburn to see quarterback Jason Campbell on Tuesday, ESPN reported the Redskins are considering him with the 25th pick. The Redskins could then use the ninth pick on a cornerback, either Auburn's Carlos Rogers or West Virginia's Adam "Pac-Man" Jones. Three league sources who have been in regular contact with the Redskins indicated Rogers is the front-runner at this point.

I know the feeling. Unfortunately I don't see Rogers falling that far.

But can you imagine DeAngelo Hall on one side and Carlos Rogers on the other? Now that is the making of a great secondary.

Well as soon as I make that post...check out this mock draft.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/8397057

27. Atlanta: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn

Rogers is a tall, fast cornerback who should help out the Falcons quickly. It's the second year in a row the Falcons invest their top pick in a cornerback, which probably suits them just fine considering the rise in popularity CBs are receiving across the league.

Now I disagree with a lot of his draft. I don't think Rogers will fall that far. BUT at least one guy thinks it is a possibility!

Yeah no way he drops that far although it would be nice to have him as a Falcon I just don't see it. We need some dang good corners thats for sure.

Archived