62 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the SEC West?

• Auburn
    • Alabama
    • LSU
    • Ole Miss
    • Arkansas
    • Miss. State

So who will win the SEC west this year? With Alabama getting back on track from the slumps of probation...This year will be one of the most competitve years for the SEC West.... LSU has the talent to win a NC this year, but Auburn & Alabama both have teams that could win games and get to Atlanta.

In July, it is easy to vote for Auburn.  Until they loose an SEC game, they are the team to beat!

:cheer:   :au:   :au:   :cheer:

168224[/snapback]

I agree.

In July, it is easy to vote for Auburn.  Until they loose an SEC game, they are the team to beat!

:cheer:   :au:   :au:   :cheer:

168224[/snapback]

Ditto here

I am going with LSU.

For the same reason, I don't see UGA winning the East. I think we both lost a bit too much and see us both being 9-2...maybe 8-3 at worst teams.

I'm Gonna have to go with Miss. State on this one. But not really. I Think it could be just as easily be :au: , :lsu: , or :ua: . We will just have to see when it comes right down to it

I have to disagree here. I don't think that we are the team to beat in the SEC this year. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most teams overlooked us again in 2005. The reason behind my logic is simple: We lost a lot of talent from last year's team. The very players who we could not have gone 13-0 without last year, Campbell, Rogers, Brown, and Williams, will not be in uniform for AU in 2005. Most programs and experts see Auburn having a decent, but rebuilding effort this fall. They make these predictions based on star players lost and we lost quite a few from last year's team. No championship predictions have been made other than by the AU faithful

All of these low, preseason rankings indicate that we're not the team to beat in '05. The team to beat in any conference is the team with the highest preseason ranking, as is the case with LSU this year. Look no further than the preseason in 2003. Georgia went 13-1 and won the SEC Championship in 2002 and even with all of their starters returning in 2003, the team to beat was Auburn. The pressure was not on Georgia to repeat, but Auburn to go all the way Why? We finished strong in '02 and returned most of our starters for the '03 campaign. I guess the media personnel was so impressed with our finish in '02 that they felt inclined to give us a high preseason ranking.

In my opinion, LSU and UAT have the most to prove this year. The pressure is definitely on them. Why? Because all of the preseason hype. You have UAT players talking championship, you have ESPN salivating over LSU and UT on a nightly basis. All the while, Auburn is not expected to do much this season. If we had all of our returning starters from last season, then things might be different.

Anyway, we have a title to defend and the more attention directed elsewhere, the better.

Alex

I have to disagree here. I don't think that we are the team to beat in the SEC this year. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most teams overlooked us again in 2005. The reason behind my logic is simple: We lost a lot of talent from last year's team. The very players who we could not have gone 13-0 without last year, Campbell, Rogers, Brown, and Williams, will not be in uniform for AU in 2005. Most programs and experts see Auburn having a decent, but rebuilding effort this fall. They make these predictions based on star players lost and we lost quite a few from last year's team. No championship predictions have been made other than by the AU faithful

All of these low, preseason rankings indicate that we're not the team to beat in '05. The team to beat in any conference is the team with the highest preseason ranking, as is the case with LSU this year. Look no further than the preseason in 2003. Georgia went 13-1 and won the SEC Championship in 2002 and even with all of their starters returning in 2003, the team to beat was Auburn. The pressure was not on Georgia to repeat, but Auburn to go all the way Why? We finished strong in '02 and returned most of our starters for the '03 campaign. I guess the media personnel was so impressed with our finish in '02 that they felt inclined to give us a high preseason ranking.

In my opinion, LSU and UAT have the most to prove this year. The pressure is definitely on them. Why? Because all of the preseason hype. You have UAT players talking championship, you have ESPN salivating over LSU and UT on a nightly basis. All the while, Auburn is not expected to do much this season. If we had all of our returning starters from last season, then things might be different.

Anyway, we have a title to defend and the more attention directed elsewhere, the better.

Alex

168288[/snapback]

Although we lost 3 players on offense...remember 2 of them played the same position ;)

I like it when alot of people call this team," young..." We actually have alot more experienced players on this year's team.

Count them...8 preseason All-SEC players (ya its preseason but still an honor based on the player's abilities from last season):

1. Travis Williams

2. Stanley McClover

3. Marcus McNeil

4. Courtney Taylor

5. T.J. Jackson

6. Groves

7. Kody Bliss

8. John Vaugn

Any team that estimates us as being young is going to get a real shocker.

Lets see what are some of the best Unit Rankings:

1. WRs - Auburn #4 in the country Click here

2. LBs - Auburn #3 in the country Click here

Not only that...But our DL and OL are EXTREMELY talented (McNeil, Groves, McClover, T.J. Jackson).

With the only question mark at qb (not rb...see Kenny Irons, Tre Smith, Carl Stewart, Brad Lester)....And Cox being very able to come through for us...

HOW CAN YOU COUNT THIS TEAM OUT!!!!! B)

With the only question mark at qb (not rb...see Kenny Irons, Tre Smith, Carl Stewart, Brad Lester)

You just lost 2 RB's that were choosen in the first 4 picks of the NFL draft. You are kidding yourself if you think you won't have a dropoff at that position.

With the only question mark at qb (not rb...see Kenny Irons, Tre Smith, Carl Stewart, Brad Lester)

You just lost 2 RB's that were choosen in the first 4 picks of the NFL draft. You are kidding yourself if you think you won't have a dropoff at that position.

168294[/snapback]

Drop Off = Yes

Question mark = No

They wont be the top 2 Draft prospects like the ones we had last year...But I wouldnt say they are a question mark. At least 3 of the 4 mentioned are just as good as any starting RB in the SEC.

Not drinking the kool-aid here....Tuberville - ," Kenny Irons is dangerous....every 5th or 6th touch this kid has goes for a long gain. He is an exact clone of Caddy....but faster."

168294[/snapback]

AU will have a "drop off" at the rb position. How often does a team lose TWO rbs to the TOP FIVE picks in the NFL? Answer: Never before.

We will "drop off", but , just not as FAR as some would like to believe! :au:

AU will have a "drop off" at the rb position. How often does a team lose TWO rbs to the TOP FIVE picks in the NFL? Answer: Never before.

We will "drop off", but , just not as FAR as some would like to believe! :au:

168315[/snapback]

Exactly my point. The talent you had at RB was literally....absurd...abusive as I like to say.

I don't think for one second Auburn's running game will be bad....but to the level it was last year? I don't see it.

Just like our WR's at UGA....we will have a drop off with Bailey and others now at the helm. I think they will prove a LOT of people wrong and play great but their will be a dropoff from 2004

I agree about the two running backs, but it is the new QB that could torpedo your season. What if he is not very good as the starter? What if he gets hurt?

Can't just dismiss the loss of a senior QB who was a 1st round pick.

I agree about the two running backs, but it is the new QB that could torpedo your season. What if he is not very good as the starter? What if he gets hurt?

Can't just dismiss the loss of a senior QB who was a 1st round pick.

168318[/snapback]

I dont believe we ever dismissed the qb question mark. Matter of fact...I put in in my post:

"With the only question mark at qb (not rb...see Kenny Irons, Tre Smith, Carl Stewart, Brad Lester)....And Cox being very able to come through for us..."

He will make this a very good season or a very bad season.

As for the question," What if he gets hurt?"...Well, we could apply that question to ALOT of teams this year and the answer would be," OH ****."

We have some capable backups...but I believe that question is just something that could happen to any team at any time. What if Jason had gone down last year? I bet that 13-0 record wouldnt be there....

Losing CW and RB will be a factor but it's not like we rode them to a 13-0 season.

2003: 2389yds-541-32tds / 4.42

2004: 2383yds-552-27tds / 4.32

Our rushing numbers were actually better in 2003 yet we lost 5 games. The biggest difference was in our passing game and Campbell's record breaking season. The backs we currently have are good enough to average 183 yards per game but how Brandon Cox competes at QB, will determine what kind of season we will have in 2005.

Talent is no substitute for experience in either backfield. Our youth on both sides will lose us a game or three.

Last year we could easily have lost at least three games. Our four first rounders won the games by their indomitable leadership.

I like our team and expect to enjoy a good rebuilding season, but we will see some games slip away.

WDE!

'76 Tiger

Talent is no substitute for experience in either backfield.  Our youth on both sides will lose us a game or three.

Last year we could easily have lost at least three games.  Our four first rounders won the games by their indomitable leadership.

I like our team and expect to enjoy a good rebuilding season, but we will see some games slip away.

WDE!

'76 Tiger

168363[/snapback]

Both sides? Is our defense not one of the most experienced in the conference? Ya we lost 2 CBs....but what team in the conference doesnt lose a player or 2 on offense or defense every year?

I understand we have a very young qb and (i guess alot of you are throwing the experience of Tre smith away? What about Carl Stewart playing in about every game last year?) a somewhat inexperienced RB corp....But good god guys, look at the players....We have a veteran team in my opinion. WRs are all coming back, TEs are coming back, O-line is coming back, Defensive line is coming back, 2 Dbs coming back, LBs coming back, Kickers coming back.

Young? :lol:

Maybe we should just say," the inexperience of the young qb and/or rb will make or break or season,".

Sorry for heating away....Ive just read all up and down on alot of boards about "auburns young team." We are not young by a long shot, with the exception of 2-3 players.

Losing CW and RB will be a factor but it's not like we rode them to a 13-0 season.

Our rushing numbers were actually better in 2003 yet we lost 5 games. The biggest difference was in our passing game and Campbell's record breaking season. The backs we currently have are good enough to average 183 yards per game but how Brandon Cox competes at QB, will determine what kind of season we will have in 2005.

168327[/snapback]

The running game was vastly more consistent in 2004 as compared to 2003. The 2003 MSU game helped to skew the overall rushing numbers (405yds). AU rushing totals by game:

2003:

AU-SC 43

AU-GT 40

AU-Vandy 219

AU-WKU 285

AU-UT 264

AU-Ark 160

AU-MSU 405 (Curve breaker)

AU-LSU 50

AU-ULM 241

AU-UM 158

AU-UGA 81

AU-UAT 249

AU-UW 197

2004:

AU-ULM 194

AU-MSU 283

AU-LSU 131

AU-TC 234

AU-UT 148

AU-LT 198

AU-Ark 225

AU-UK 210

AU-UM 205

AU-UGA 186

AU-UAT 74

AU-UT 185

AU-VT 110

Note the rushing consistentsy that Borges brought to the offense. This was a result of having a balanced offense (and competent OC). So the overall numbers, are close, but the way that they were achieved are vastly different. In 2003 we struggled to rush the ball against good opponents (SC, GT, LSU and UGA). In 2004 it was a VERY different story. Balance and consistentsy. :thumbsup:

We actually piled on Borges’ back to a 13-0 season. :)

:au:

I voted for LSU, the amount of talent in Baton Rouge is impressive and their home slate sets up well for a trip to Atlanta. Auburn and Alabama are the only other viable contenders in the West right in my eyes. Auburn does have to go to Red Stick where Tubby and the gang haven't won since 1999. Two things are going for Auburn though to win the West is that LSU is overrated at home in Death Valley and lately the odds on "favorite" to win the divsions and the conference have not won it lately.

168327[/snapback]

Dammit Stat! You just can't keep quiet can you? Auburn is only going to win 3 games this year after losing Ronnie and Carnell, remember? Auburn is nothing without those two....good grief. Please delete your post before some cajun or bammer stumbles upon it. Thanks! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::P

With their schedule, LSU better be very good and MUST not have any problems with the coaching transition.

They play Arizona State & Tennessee but with an off week in between (unless they have filled the off week with a game)

They play Florida & AUBURN back to back (at home).

If they do win after playing AU, UT, & UF and then the SECC, I will be impressed!

Archived