How do the coaches stack up in the SEC?

quietfan

Just one small town Louisiana writer's opinion, but I like it:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...0324/1078/rss12

How do the coaches stack up in the SEC?

1.Tommy Tuberville, Auburn - He may be unpopular in Louisiana, but that's only because of his success against the Tigers. Since 1997, Tuberville is 6-2 against LSU. His remarkable 13-0 season in 2004 should have won him a national championship for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that Auburn's recruiting classes have not been the perennial top five juggernauts of Southern California, Oklahoma and LSU. Auburn has to recruit against Alabama to its immediate west, Georgia to its immediate east and Florida and Florida State to its south. Tuberville has also been able to win consistently despite little support from his silly superiors past and present, constant changes on his staff and a spoiled fan base. Auburn lost three players to the first round of the NFL draft last season, but expect the Tigers to challenge LSU for the West and beyond this season

Of course, it was four 1st-round draft picks, but what the hey...

Tuberville has also been able to win consistently despite.......a spoiled fan base

:blink: huh?

He's right.... Auburn fans are spoiled. Auburn fans are generally the most passionate.... when Auburn is winning. When South Carolina sells out its stadium every game for 13+ years with that program in that huge of a stadium, and Auburn can't sell out for a team from Louisiana during an undefeated season.... I just shake my head. That is why I DON'T want an enclosed upperdeck, because our stadium will look pathetic when no talent comes to Jordan-Hare. Auburn fans leave games earlier than probably any other school I know of, with the exception of maybe Mississippi State (based on personal experience), do nothing but complain when things go wrong, and cheer when they win.

I am thankful that I know plenty of "Auburn Fans" that do NOT fit into the category described. :au:

He's right.... Auburn fans are spoiled. Auburn fans are generally the most passionate.... when Auburn is winning. When South Carolina sells out its stadium every game for 13+ years with that program in that huge of a stadium, and Auburn can't sell out for a team from Louisiana during an undefeated season.... I just shake my head. That is why I DON'T want an enclosed upperdeck, because our stadium will look pathetic when no talent comes to Jordan-Hare. Auburn fans leave games earlier than probably any other school I know of, with the exception of maybe Mississippi State (based on personal experience), do nothing but complain when things go wrong, and cheer when they win.

172175[/snapback]

If you're referring to LSU, then do take note of it being the weekend directly after Hurricane Ivan.

Not being "spoiled" is what sets Auburn people apart from fan bases of most other schools. It is one of the best things about being an :au: man, IMO.

I think he was refering more to games like LA-Monroe, LA Tech, Citadel and whatever other unexciting home games there were last season. Its not that we're spoiled, but simply who wants to watch our 4th stringers beat up on a 1-AA team when we can be back in the dorm watching other awesome games. That kinda tends to show that AU fans actually are interested in the football aspect of the game as opposed to other places where it is just a fun place to get drunk with your friends.

Actually, I'm one of the ones that sticks around to the end of those pastings when our 4th string is in. I love watching our future get some PT. I can move to an open area that folks vacated and kick back and watch them perform. I'd rather be in JH watching that than most anywhere else on a football Saturday. I'm sick that way. :P

Actually, I'm one of the ones that sticks around to the end of those pastings when our 4th string is in.  I love watching our future get some PT.  I can move to an open area that folks vacated and kick back and watch them perform.  I'd rather be in JH watching that than most anywhere else on a football Saturday.  I'm sick that way. :P

172193[/snapback]

I'm with you there! I personally witnessed every second of the Ball State massacre back in 2000 and made the mad dash to the Explorer to beat the rainstorm afterwards. I ran a 4.26 40 if I recall correctly! :big:

As of today, Tommy Tuberville is the BEST Coach in America. His peers voted him to that lofty position. I agree. :au:

Dang TIS, I forgot about that rain storm. I did the exact same thing. :D

In any debate about the best current SEC coach, I think you have to eliminate a few names first based on experience or lack thereof. I wouldn't consider Meyer and Miles until they have a couple of seasons under their belt in the SEC for obvious reasons. All kidding aside, I'm going to reserve judgment on Shula until after this year. He's been strapped to this point and we'll see where he ranks after playing without all the limitations. I'm also going to give the ole ball coach a year or two without 100 All-Americans to play with before I give him his due again.

Love him or hate him, Fulmer's record speaks for itself over a decade plus. He has to be one of the top 2-3. Richt has now established UGA as a national player again so he has to be up there as well. CTT now has the right guys around him and that's the key, coupled with his recruiting prowess. He needs to put a couple more 10 win seasons on the board and show some consistency and I'll call him the best, hands down.

Current coaches, I'd throw a net over Fulmer, Richt and CTT.

Guest Tigrinum Major

That guy was brutal. The comments about Ogeron (who has never even been a coordinator, by the way) and Shula were just brutal (sorry, my thesarus is broken.) I don't put much stock in it though, considering he says that this year could be Shula's last. As much as I hope it is (for western instability's sake), I don't think they fire this guy after this year, no matter if they stink the place up (which I don't think they will).

I agree that Shula isn't the long term fix, but if he is fired after the season, what person in their right mind would want that job (assuming EVER wanting that job was not proof that they are not in their right mind)?

Archived