Les Miles?

texaubie

The new OK State coach has had to dismiss nine players so far. Is this a reflection of the kind of program Miles runs?

ESPN Article

Several players said the day Gundy replaced Les Miles as head coach he established guidelines that players attend class, be on time for team meetings, adhere to workout routines, represent the program well and play hard.

yeah its true....

while Miles was at OSU he told his players they only had to show up on test days, show up at their convienence to team meetings, work out at thier leisure, and try to make the program look good, but don't stress yourself.

gimmie a break, that article is a joke, it makes it look like Miles had no rules at all which I find ridiculus. I don't put any stock into it at all.

There is a big difference between having rules, and having a proactive coaching staff that works with the players to enforce the rules. Look at CTT and Urban Meyer at UF, from what I have read this off-season those 2 stand above what is going on at LSU, UT and UG...

No offense....but Urban Meyer has made UF above us?

Bullcrap.

During Mark Richt's first off-season...he had zero instances as well.

Meyer will eventually have tons of problems as most SEC schools seem to have.

Florida has been just as bad if not worse then UGA/UT the last several years, barring this off-season

When Meyer has his first star arrested, let's then see what he does

I have a number of friends in and around OKC and most folks in the state assume that there were lots of dirty things going on at OSU especially in recruiting. It will be interesting to see if Miles has a string of programs in his wake that end up on probation.

Again, that proves nothing.

Meyer has a different way of dealing with UF players. Great.

Richt brought his own system too. He got Quincy Carter out of the system right after he was hired and was said to be very strict on his players.

Then came the 2nd season off-season...and some people got into trouble...rings and so forth.

Meyer will shortly have his own problems and this fake aura that he is harsher then others will be dismissed.

UF has as much blood on their hands as UT and UGA

I have a number of friends in and around OKC and most folks in the state assume that there were lots of dirty things going on at OSU especially in recruiting.  It will be interesting to see if Miles has a string of programs in his wake that end up on probation.

174813[/snapback]

Dude, I live in Oklahoma and I've NEVER heard that...

Every coach has their own methods. I went to a seminar the year Rudi came to Auburn and CTT spoke to us. He made no bones about the fact that his predecessor, Tot in a Box, had ZERO discipline and believe it or not, had very little in the way of mandatory workouts. CTT said he ran off about 30 players in the first year.

It's possible that people would perceive Miles in a bad light if someone comes behind him with a whole new attitude and a new set of rules and discipline. Time will tell on that. As for Richt, he's shown me nothing but class since he arrived. He's dealt with any problems that arose and seemed to do it quickly. If he continues with his plan he'll keep UGA a consistent top 10 club.

There is a big difference between having rules, and having a proactive coaching staff that works with the players to enforce the rules.  Look at CTT and Urban Meyer at UF, from what I have read this off-season those 2 stand above what is going on at LSU, UT and UG...

174804[/snapback]

HA!!.....what are you talking about. LSU hasn't had many off the field problems at all. One instance with Pittman getting in a bar fight which actually turned out to be nothing (all charges were dropped), and 1 or 2 other minor instances.....I can't believe you are even thinking about putting us with Tenn as far as off the field problems are concerned!!!!!

why is everyone think Meyer is so great?

Nah, I don't think so.

Fulmer and Richt have had a lot of off-season suspensions this year but I don't consider our programs to be bad

174785[/snapback]

From what I've seen, Richt runs a tight a ship. Fulmer does not. I don't know about Miles but if I were an LSU fan I would have concerns about seeing nine of his former players dismissed over the summer.

"...why is everyone think Meyer is so great?"

Great point. Even my Gator friends have started saying they hope Meyer lives up to just half the hype preceding him. My initial impressions are he's as cocky as Spurrier, but his claim to fame is an impressive season at...Utah...beating the Utah States of the world.

I have a number of friends in and around OKC and most folks in the state assume that there were lots of dirty things going on at OSU especially in recruiting.  It will be interesting to see if Miles has a string of programs in his wake that end up on probation.

174813[/snapback]

A la Lou Holtz?

174813[/snapback]

A la Lou Holtz?

175268[/snapback]

I must protest...the NY Jets NEVER ended up on probation!!! :rolleyes:

:au::homer:

You know, I am just so glad Lou Holtz is gone. If you had told me ten years ago I would be HAPPY to have Steve Freakin' Spurrier dominate the sports scene in the state where I live, I would have told you to go staight to Hell. But after living through the ill-fated Holtz occupation, anything is a welcome change.

I think meyer is the real deal. Maybe he's not though. Doesn't mean he'll win the sec this year, but if they get 8 or more wins then they could be trouble in the years to come.

Ryan P also got into an argument with DL Al Jones the other night in Baton Rouge as well.

So.....good team chemistry he is getting.

175487[/snapback]

?????? and where is this info coming from?????

I haven't heard a thing. but even if true....just because 2 freshmen have an arguement doesn't mean there is bad team chemistry....try again Slink ;)

?????? and where is this info coming from?????

Straight from a family member of RP's

175497[/snapback]

Well I know Ryan P has a big mouth and ego, so I can't say that i'm surprised. But again, that still doesn't mean we have bad team chemistry.

Do tell scotty, Why does the Ostrich stick it's head in the SAND? :D

Every coach has their own methods.  I went to a seminar the year Rudi came to Auburn and CTT spoke to us.  He made no bones about the fact that his predecessor, Tot in a Box, had ZERO discipline and believe it or not, had very little in the way of mandatory workouts.  CTT said he ran off about 30 players in the first year.

It's possible that people would perceive Miles in a bad light if someone comes behind him with a whole new attitude and a new set of rules and discipline.  Time will tell on that.  As for Richt, he's shown me nothing but class since he arrived.  He's dealt with any problems that arose and seemed to do it quickly.  If he continues with his plan he'll keep UGA a consistent top 10 club.

174840[/snapback]

I played on the team one year under bowden...we definitely had mandantory workouts all summer long 6 am every morning, not to mention in the fall winter spring...Everyday the coaches would be on you if you missed classes, they had assistants in the classes checking on you, punishment and whatnot was dealt out after practice...While I certainly believe that Yox has a better workout program than Bowden's guy. I also believe that tubberville values character more in his recruiting and pays more attention to personal issues...I don't believe that bowden was doing nothing...my first hand experience tells me that the lives of those football players under bowden's program was football, football football about 98% of the time...much more structured than the general student population at Auburn.

Tubby just has a better system and pays more attention to detail...it wasn't like the old guys didn't workout or have curfews...remember Fred Beasely, Heath Evans, Pat Nix, Frank Sanders, Jimmy Brumbaugh? those guys weren't clowns, they were serious workers...what about Martaveous Houston and Robert Baker? Tubby would have made them NFL stars or kicked them off the team...Bowden let them flounder around.

Archived