Les Miles?

texaubie

Guest Tigrinum Major
Okay, I thought it was clear, but I see your point so I changed it, lol.

175554[/snapback]

No problem, I am easily confused.

In fact, I keep myself confused on purpose just in case I ever fall into enemy hands.

I played on the team one year under bowden...we definitely had mandantory workouts all summer long  6 am every morning, not to mention in the fall winter spring...Everyday the coaches would be on you if you missed classes, they had assistants in the classes checking on you, punishment and whatnot was dealt out after practice...While I certainly believe that Yox has a better workout program than Bowden's guy.  I also believe that tubberville values character more in his recruiting and pays more attention to personal issues...I don't believe that bowden was doing nothing...my first hand experience tells me that the lives of those football players under bowden's program was football, football football about 98% of the time...much more structured than the general student population at Auburn.

Tubby just has a better system and pays more attention to detail...it wasn't like the old guys didn't workout or have curfews...remember Fred Beasely, Heath Evans, Pat Nix, Frank Sanders, Jimmy Brumbaugh? those guys weren't clowns, they were serious workers...what about Martaveous Houston and Robert Baker?  Tubby would have made them NFL stars or kicked them off the team...Bowden let them flounder around.

175524[/snapback]

Thanks for the insight Gabe.

For those of us who do not have any "Ins" with the program sometimes its hard to know what to believe & not believe.

First hand experience is always nice to read about. You should post more often.

No offense....but Urban Meyer has made UF above us?

Bullcrap.

During Mark Richt's first off-season...he had zero instances as well.

Meyer will eventually have tons of problems as most SEC schools seem to have.

Florida has been just as bad if not worse then UGA/UT the last several years, barring this off-season

When Meyer has his first star arrested, let's then see what he does

174810[/snapback]

Dont quote me or anything, but i think it was Zook himself while at UF that got in trouble at a frat party or something. UF had many problems while Zook was there. As for Meyer, I really dont know what kind of program he runs. I like Richt, to me I think he runs a really good program. He has really got UGA playing well and has his players in line. As for UT, well its UT.

From the College Football News

http://collegefootballnews.com/2005/TQ/Tuesday_Question.htm

(Scroll to last sentence under 5. LSU)

Richard Cirminiello

Q: Going into the season, give your preseason Top 10.

A: 1. USC – Depth issues on defense and some key coaching defections make the Trojans sort of vulnerable by their standards, but any team hoping to dethrone the champs better be prepared to hang 40 on them; no one is going to slow down USC’s star-studded offense. Road games at Arizona State (Oct.1), Notre Dame (Oct. 15) and Cal (Nov. 12) qualify as potential landmines.

2. Texas – Yeah, there’s a certain red and white demon that needs to be addressed and an every down back to be located, but the ‘Horns are as talented as any program east of Los Angeles, and are as confident as they’ve been in a long, long time. Until proven otherwise, the nation’s second best team is in Austin.

3. Tennessee – This might be Phillip Fulmer’s best Tennessee team since the 1998 edition, which ran the table and won the national championship. The early season road schedule—at Florida and LSU in successive weeks—is horrifying, but a split keeps them in the SEC and national title chase. Above all else, the Vols must stay healthy, something that didn’t happen last year.

4. Virginia Tech – The Hokies just might be better and faster than last year’s team that shocked everyone, and won the ACC. Replacing Bryan Randall at quarterback will be a lot tougher than most assume, and will be priority No. 1 for the coaching staff. Marcus Vick has a tremendous upside, but probably won’t have to win games by himself until sometime next October.

5. LSU – The bevy of blazing backs and receivers get all the attention, but it’s the Tigers’ line play, which might carry the program to its second title game appearance in three years. The transition from the stoic and workmanlike Nick Saban to the far more laid back and low-key Les Miles is a bit of a concern that bears watching.

The transition from the stoic and workmanlike Nick Saban to the far more laid back and low-key Les Miles is a bit of a concern that bears watching.

and this means????????

what are you trying to get out this? The fact that we just replaced one of the greatest coaches in the SEC with a coach with a much different personality and there is a bit of concern that the new coach might not come in and finish in the top 5 in his first season???? Because thats really all thats there!!!

I see your point rolltoomer. Anytime you go from a screaming control freak to a laid back good old guy you can have a breakdown in discipline and a negative effect on the team.

Could help explain why miles could win some big games but never put together a great season at osu. Too laid back. Not saying thats the case, but it would make sense.

The transition from the stoic and workmanlike Nick Saban to the far more laid back and low-key Les Miles is a bit of a concern that bears watching.

and this means????????

what are you trying to get out this? The fact that we just replaced one of the greatest coaches in the SEC with a coach with a much different personality and there is a bit of concern that the new coach might not come in and finish in the top 5 in his first season???? Because thats really all thats there!!!

175781[/snapback]

geaux,

Unwad your panties, or keep flying off the handle like an idiot would for no reason.

You are gonna really lose it when the lswho melts down from a sudden lack of discipline. ;)

BTW, did you notice this was a thread pertaining to what kind of program miles runs???????????????????????????? (mocking your ???????????????)

I see your point rolltoomer. Anytime you go from a screaming control freak to a laid back good old guy you can have a breakdown in discipline and a negative effect on the team.

Could help explain why miles could win some big games but never put together a great season at osu. Too laid back. Not saying thats the case, but it would make sense.

175791[/snapback]

yeah that or the fact that he is recruiting against Oklahoma and Texas :headscratch: :roll:

175791[/snapback]

yeah that or the fact that he is recruiting against Oklahoma and Texas :headscratch: :roll:

175793[/snapback]

How many times did he beat the top team in the conference (OU) only to then lose games he was expected to win and never complete that great season? Use the recruiting crutch if you like. There is plenty of talent out there.

175791[/snapback]

175793[/snapback]

How many times did he beat the top team in the conference (OU) only to then lose games he was expected to win and never complete that great season? Use the recruiting crutch if you like. There is plenty of talent out there.

175795[/snapback]

many coaches and teams do that. It doesn't mean the coach lacks discipline!!! They just might not have the talent to compete week in and week out. How many times do average teams in the SEC beat teams they shouldn't and then lose some they shouldn't? ALL THE TIME!! Its part of being an AVERAGE football team with AVERAGE talent.

Look, I don't know how Miles is going to turn out....but neither do you!!!! Miles has a good track record and I seriuosly doubt LSU would replace Saban with a coach that has no discipline!!!!

Geaux, when you said greatest coaches in the SEC...did you actually mean in the history of the SEC?

175802[/snapback]

Come on Slink, give me some credit.... :D

I meant "At the time"

175791[/snapback]

175793[/snapback]

175795[/snapback]

many coaches and teams do that. It doesn't mean the coach lacks discipline!!! They just might not have the talent to compete week in and week out. How many times do average teams in the SEC beat teams they shouldn't and then lose some they shouldn't? ALL THE TIME!! Its part of being an AVERAGE football team with AVERAGE talent.

Look, I don't know how Miles is going to turn out....but neither do you!!!! Miles has a good track record and I seriuosly doubt LSU would replace Saban with a coach that has no discipline!!!!

175798[/snapback]

We're not just talking about an average team beating a team they shouldn't. We're talking about them beating the undeniably best team in the conference on several occasions then losing games they were expected to win. He had at least three (or was it only two) chances to have a heckuva season after beating OU and failed each time.

I never said he had no discipline, obviously he has some. He has a small percentage of what saban had from the sound of it and that is where the trouble could possibly come in. Face it, now way in hell is Miles the coach LSU would have gotten if Saban had left quickly after the season. They were stuck between a rock and a hard place, most of the good coaches had been snatched up already, and Miles still wasn't their first choice.

And what about the guy he wanted to hire at DC until the LSU folks found out and said he!! no! Sounds like discipline isn't the only question mark with miles.

The fact that the new guy has already kicked 9 players off the team could be a sign that the players were a little to used to miles and his laid back attitude when the new guy came in, or it might not be.

I am well aware that I don't know how miles will turn out but thanks for pointing that out :poke::D . There is obviously some question about whether the drastically conflicting styles will be a negative or not.

With all the talent LSU has if they lose an early one or two they should win you had better believe there will be a spotlight on Miles and his laid back approach.

I hope you guys do well until we come in and burst your bubble.

I think I see your point:

Poor coaching + Good Talent = Average performance (e.g. Zook at UF)

Average Coaching + Average Talent = Average performance (e.g. Miles at OSU)

Good Coaching + Average Talent = Good performance (Petrino at UL)

Good Coaching + Good Talent = Great performance (Tuberville at AU)

:big:

Scott, I understand that nobody knows how Miles will do at LSU. However, his track record and the mess he left at OSU does warrant some concern that you might be looking for another coach in 3-4 years. If you don't admit that, then I don't think you are being honest.

Archived