What Past Player Would You Add to Defensive Line

toddc

2 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Biggest issue right now is Edge.  I'd add Dee Ford.  Groves, McClover probably 2nd or 3rd options for pure edge guys.  Jeff Holland honorable mention.

Loved me some Dee Ford!! 

Another is Antonio Coleman. I remember he was about set to enter the NFL draft after Tubs last season in 2008. Then Chizik was hired as HC and he talked Coleman into coming back for 2009. About halfway through the 2009 season, it was obvious Ted Roof's bend but don't break style wasn't what we Auburn fans had grown accustomed to under Tubs. Even Tubs last year when we finished 5-7, our defense was legit and only allowed 18 ppg. I remember about 7 or 8 games into that 2009 season, Coleman went scorched earth about our lack of defense and even had a 1 on 1 meeting with Chizik because Chizik was the one that talked him into staying an extra year instead of entering the draft. Antonio still led the team in sacks and was like 2nd in the SEC in sacks that 2009 year. He was 2007 All SEC 2nd team, 2008 All SEC 1st team and 2009 All SEC 1st team. He also played with a cast for much of that 2009 season. 

It's crazy how he went from a late 1st round or 2nd round grade to being undrafted. I just always thought that he was a BIGTIME talent that could've been very special if he was on the 2010 team but he missed it by 1 year.

Edited by TeamZero77
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Loved me some Dee Ford!! 

Another is Antonio Coleman. I remember he was about set to enter the NFL draft after Tubs last season in 2008. Then Chizik was hired as HC and he talked Coleman into coming back for 2009. About halfway through the 2009 season, it was obvious Ted Roof's bend but don't break style wasn't what we Auburn fans had grown accustomed to under Tubs. Even Tubs last year when we finished 5-7, our defense was legit and only allowed 18 ppg. I remember about 7 or 8 games into that 2009 season, Coleman went scorched earth about our lack of defense and even had a 1 on 1 meeting with Chizik because Chizik was the one that talked him into staying an extra year instead of entering the draft. Antonio still led the team in sacks and was like 2nd in the SEC in sacks that 2009 year. He was 2007 All SEC 2nd team, 2008 All SEC 1st team and 2009 All SEC 1st team. He also played with a cast for much of that 2009 season. 

It's crazy how he went from a late 1st round or 2nd round grade to being undrafted. I just always thought that he was a BIGTIME talent that could've been very special if he was on the 2010 team but he missed it by 1 year.

Coleman was a good one.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NewYrkTiger said:

Wasn’t Bruce a linebacker? 

He played in 3-4 defense, so yes, technically on the roster sheet, a LB. But let’s be real… before Jevon Kearse (also listed a college LB), Aundray Bruce was the original freak DE.

Jeff Holland also was originally listed as a LB while being recruited, but he played DE in a 4-3.

Edited by Viper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Biggest issue right now is Edge.  I'd add Dee Ford.

Dee Ford and Aundray Bruce. IMO, the two best DEs in AU history. So rangy. So cat quick. 

57 minutes ago, TeamZero77 said:

Coleman was awesome. He and Groves made a great duo in 2007, then with Antoine Carter in 2008 & 2009.

Coleman / Carter / Fairley in 2010 would have been cheat code unfair. 

• Like 2