Scouting Report on GT

AUesquire

For those with more time than me to look it up, what's the current take on GT? I ask because I remember some discussion months ago on this board about them being extremely thin on the DL because of graduation, injuries, suspensions or something.

I keep hearing the "Experts" say they think GT has a great chance of upsetting AU but no one gives any reasons other than our graduations and Reggie Ball, who they say has to have so much confidence coming in after leading them to a victory over AU 8 years ago. Sporting News SEC preview mag has GT as a loss right off the bat. I just don't get it.

Wishful thinking by our detractors??

Their "all-world" sophomore WR, Calvin Johnson, is supposed to have some help this year, but of course, he'll still make "fantastic catches". They have an Olineman that's so good mainly because nobody knows about him, and Ball, as you mentioned, just doesn't even need to practice because he beat a much more talented team two years ago so this year should be easy.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

WAR DAMN EAGLE!!!! HURRY UP SEPTEMBER 3RD!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, here are some links from the AJC....

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/g...25techfoot.html

I think tech has a good team. A great team?...No. Then again, we do not know what will be the chemistry of this years Tiger Team. I am glad to have a good team come to JH for the opener. IF we can win that one, we should have a strong chance to rise in the polls for several weeks. I have NO fear of tech. I would follow this AU Team anywhere to play anyone. Can't wait for the kickoff. :au:

The NIP is just around the corner...I can feel it! :D

The only thing that makes me slightly nervous about GT is that its our first game of the year with a new QB. I would rather play a La Tech or ULM first then play GT the second Saturday of the season. I think we'll be fine though and may surprise a lot of people.

The only thing that makes me slightly nervous about GT is that its our first game of the year with a new QB.  I would rather play a La Tech or ULM first then play GT the second Saturday of the season.  I think we'll be fine though and may surprise a lot of people.

176223[/snapback]

I hope you're right. I'm starting to get that nervous/excited feeling whereas before it was just excited...anyone else?

Georgia Tech has a handful of high quality players, namely Calvin Johnson and P.J. Daniels, but they are not going to stand toe-to-toe with Auburn's defensive talent in Jordan-Hare for four quarters. If Auburn loses this game it will be because of Auburn (ie Nall-ball), not the Yellow Jackets.

My prediction:

Auburn 27 GT 13

with Auburn scoring two defensive TDs

Ga. Tech was being touted early this offseason due to all sorts of players coming back, especially on the defensive side but as of now they have lost 3-4 starters from the defense due to injury, off the field problems etc. I'm worried about the game for the reason that others have stated, it is the season opener and Cox will be starting his first game. I don't understand all the hoopla over Reggie Ball, he is an average QB who isn't very graceful under pressure. Ga. Tech is once again on their way to a fourth straight 7 win season.

That's what I recall reading, Slug. I think they are very thin and undersized on the DL after those losses you referred to. I understand they have a very good secondary but up front could be a problem. I think that may play into AU's hands because I might expect a little more ground and pound until the new guys get their feet under them.

However, I still see the opening play as a 20 yard skinny post to Courtney and he bulls his way for 15 more.

First and 10 at the Tech 45 :big::cheer:

I like the way you think Esquire! I remember back in the early 90's, We opened a game with a BOMB to Ace from Stan White. A 60 yd completion that probably should have been a TD. THAT will get the crowd into it in a hurry! But, I believe it will be TRE, off tackle, to open our offense in this one. But, hey, what do I know? :blink:

This is what makes it fun, folks. We are actually talking about our next opponent and how they match up and in just a handful of days we will know.

My prediction (based on nothing more than a gut feeling) is :au: 30 :uga::ut: 3.

Our defense shut down, CJ last year.

You all can too.

He had 15 passes thrown to him and only caught 4 for something like 45 yards

176218[/snapback]

you think :gt: must suck because you are always saying it will not be close. I don't think it will be close either, but you got to give :gt: a little credit.

"I remember back in the early 90's, We opened a game with a BOMB to Ace from Stan White. A 60 yd completion that probably should have been a TD."

Hmmm, are you thinking about the opening play against the Univ. of the Pacific that was an 80 yd TD? Of course that sort of thing works against...the Univ. of the Pacifics. Might be fun to try it against GT. I'm more into the safe first completion for the jittery new AU QB...something 5 yds to the TE up the middle. Then let the RBs loosen up the GT D, then let Cox pick em apart when he's settled in. The only way we lose this game is turnovers and/or special teams lapses.

you think :gt: must suck because you are always saying it will not be close. I don't think it will be close either, but you got to give :gt: a little credit.

176286[/snapback]

Why? They have had 4 consecutive recruits classes going downhill.....Gailey has brought nothing to the program but ass-whippings and 6-7 win seasons.

Ball is an average AT BEST QB and their d is lacking depth.

I don't care what the tech fans say, their defensive depth is marginal at best.

They are headed for another 5-6-7 win season at best.

They suck

I mean, my god...since the 60's and forward....Tech has basically been a joke of a program.

Yes, they had a 9 win year in the late 70's and a 9 win year in '85....and then their 11-0-1 year in 1990....but what else in 40 years?

5-6 win seasons?

South Carolina with one lucky year in that span.

Archived