It's a done deal..

quietfan

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/huntsvill...ll=1&thispage=2

Auburn will open '06 on ESPN against Washington State

Announcement of 12th opponent expected today

AUBURN - Auburn will open the 2006 football season against Washington State in a nationally televised game on Sept. 2 at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Athletic department sources said Friday that final agreement was reached in recent days. The official announcement is scheduled for today. Auburn will give Washington State a guarantee in excess of $500,000, the source said.

Athletic director Jay Jacobs declined comment.

The agreement finishes months of talks and negotiations since the NCAA approved a 12th game for the 2006 season. The game will be televised by ESPN. Auburn is not scheduled to play a return game at Washington State.

The 2006 schedule has not been released, but the Cougars join Tulane, Temple and Division I-AA Villanova as current nonconference Auburn opponents. Auburn's 2006 Southeastern Conference schedule includes Mississippi State, Florida, Arkansas, LSU, Ole Miss, Georgia and Alabama.

Auburn officials also had talks with Wake Forest, Michigan and Notre Dame and others before reaching final agreement with Washington State

WSU on ESPN is a great way to start a season!

But...Tulane, Temple, & Villanova? Still a little soft on OOC schedule, IMO. Particluarly, do we have to play a 1-AA every year? Of course, Florida rotates back on our schedule next year, and Urban Mayer will have a season of SEC play under his belt--could be tough.

Glad to know we're talking to people like Michigan & Notre Dame--respectable Div 1-A opponents without necessarily being Top-10/Top-5 toughness.

Growing up in the outskirts of Philadelphia, I have grown up with Temple and Villanova around me. Althought they might not have the top notch players, they will play as hard as they can until the final whistle. I have never seen a game in which either team gave up.

wonder why they listed every single sec game except south carolina? no conspiracy theory or anything just seems like stupid writing. couldn't come up with last one off the top of your head?

What is up with Villanova? :blink: We apparently had talks with Wake, Michigan, and ND. We probably had talks with a few others I would think. And we can't replace Villanova?

Somone at the athletic department needs to receive a severe tail-kicking! That is pathetic. :roll:

Auburn’s game vs. Villanova is expected to be a “throwback” contest in which the Tigers and Wildcats will wear replica uniforms based on their 1936 uniforms when they faced off in the first and only college football bowl game played on the island of Cuba. Auburn tied the Wildcats 7-7 in a memorable game that was called both the Bacardi Bowl and The Rhumba Bowl.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Auburn’s game vs. Villanova is expected to be a “throwback†contest in which the Tigers and Wildcats will wear replica uniforms based on their 1936 uniforms when they faced off in the first and only college football bowl game played on the island of Cuba. Auburn tied the Wildcats 7-7 in a memorable game that was called both the Bacardi Bowl and The Rhumba Bowl.

176541[/snapback]

Link? From somewhere besides ITAT?

If this is true, I hope whoever the good idea fairy that dreamed it up gets their just rewards in heaven or wherever they end up.

This is quite possibly the worst idea I have heard in a long time. Has anyone checked out what those throwback unis will look like? I haven't, but I assume it will be an ugly sight.

Somehow, I think the "vintage uniform" comment was a joke. But I had forgotten that Villanova was our Bacardi Bowl opponent.

I still have no taste for rum, though. Give me scotch or beer.

always good to play the crappy pac 10 schools instead of the one good pac 10 school, USC

also, i dont understand why we are playing all these philly schools, they will kill our SOS

always good to play the crappy pac 10 schools instead of the one good pac 10 school, USC

176622[/snapback]

Hey, if it gets USC a MNC when they do it, why not us?

Although I sort of feel like "good Pac-10 school" is an oxymoron.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Athletic director Jay Jacobs declined comment.

:no::no::no:

176608[/snapback]

Not taking up for JJ, but I took that as a no comment as the story had not been offically announced yet.

On a positive note, I am just glad to see the game on September 2nd in lieu of August 31st. Thursday night games are the worst. Bet on it being a night game also, based on the fact that WSU will melt otherwise.

Archived