Opening Against GT

auburn_eagle34

I know everybody is pretty upset right now, including myself. But I just want to say how much I think it is a bad idea to open up against a team like Georgia Tech. People always give teams crap for opening up against patsy opponents but I think it is the best way to start a season. Especially with a qb who has never started a game. For example, as I recall (Correct me if Im wrong) we didn't play so well against ULM in our opener last year. If we had been playing a descent team, we could have very well lost, but we got all our kinks worked out and polished up our game. We will be fine this year as we enter the cupcake part of our schedule but a perfect season is now out the window partly because of our scheduling. There is no way to simulate the gamespeed or pressure of football in a scrimmage. That is why the best way to prepare for a season is to open up with a softy who you can work on things against. We'll play the MSU and Ball State and Cox will get it together when we enter the at Arkansas and at LSU part of our schedule but we shouldn't have broken him in against GT. I wouldn't be suprised if LSU loses to ASU next week for the same reason. ASU has played a game and LSU has not. All I'm saying is we are still a solid team and can still contend for the SEC but we need to lose the big name opponent openers. No matter how exciting or much appeal it brings, we should start the season against cupcake opponents. To tell the truth, I'm not to excited about opening against Wash St. next year. We'll be fine but opening against tough teams that blitz 70 percent of the time is a STUPID idea.

I disagree. AU should play the toughest teams they can find the very first game of the season. There needs to be an urgency about pre-season practice & preparation. The only way to get better is to play the better teams. In some of the articles before the game, all the GT players were saying they welcomed the chance to open against a big-time opponent like Auburn rather than against Samford like they did last year. If all their players shared that attitude and ours didn't, is it any surprise that GT looked like they wanted it more last night?

AU has a history of opening against patsies and I'm convinced it doesn't help the team get better prepared to play the seaon. Glorified scrimmages help you play ... glorified scrimmages. Playing good competition helps you compete on a higher level. Losing the first game is always a risk if you schedule a tough oppenent, but so what? In the long run, AU can only get better because of it. Just say NO to season openers against creampuffs.

I dont think it matters as long as it is the opener for both teams.

Auburn is going to get better and Ga. Tech has improved. You dont lose the quality and experience you guys had last year and open with the same team. Look at Oklahoma.

Even having a good team with alot of talent doesnt mean you go undefeated all the time.

You guys are having the high expectation blues. Great season last year and your goals are set really high. Nothing wrong with that but this years team is inexperienced in some key positions.

By LSU time i think it makes for a great game.

At least you guys got to play a game. As of now we are not sure we even get to play our game against Arizona St. If they dont LSU players and coaches may never recover this season.

BTW thanks for all the support and prayers from Auburn fans. It means alot.

:gt: had to open up with :au: , too. Sadly, despite last year's record, coming to Jordan Hare to start the season isn't the fear factor that it should be. Just ask Virginia, USC, and now Tech.

Having those 4 pieces that went to the NFL didn't help us beat Tech in 2003. That group socred a total of 3 pts.

By LSU time, Auburn is going to get murdered. Just like 2 yrs ago. I expect a 21+ win margin for the Bengal Tigers.

I thought GT was the one that should be having second thoughts about opening against AU. Are we going to be a national power or are we going to play wiffle ball. When we are the ones others are leary about then that will signal that we have arrived. GT is probably much better than expected, although the Atlanta Constitution was predicting this outcome all along. We played exactly the team we should have. When we start beating the GTs in openers then we will start being ranked a little higher in preseason. VT opened with USC last year and was in the game at the end, with a new QB. Vick was out for the season.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I would much rather open against a GA Tech than a ULM like last year. Even with this loss, which wasn't supposed to happen, you gain a measure of respect by playing a tougher opponent. One creampuff a year that I can take my whole family to without taking out a loan is enough. Every other game should be a decent opponent.

One other note, schedules are made at least two years in advance these days. Teams' fortunes change year to year. A game today is much different two or even one year down the road.

Archived