Why didnt Tiger/Spirit fly pre-game?

TigerinSC

Did not hear any explaination on why we did not have Tiger/Spirit fly around the stadium in the pre-game. Any one know why? Over that last four years I have been to 3 games where the eagle did not fly pre-game, we are 0-3 in those games

Apparently he flew a very short distance but I missed it somehow. Someone told me that it was impossible because of the ESPN cameras for him to fly all the way around, which makes since because they have those sky cams with all the wires.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Did not hear any explaination on why we did not have Tiger/Spirit fly around the stadium in the pre-game.  Any one know why? Over that last four years I have been to 3 games where the eagle did not fly pre-game, we are 0-3 in those games

178807[/snapback]

I thought it was a bad omen when the eagle did not circle the stadium on Saturday night. The PA announcer was beginning his spiel about Spirit cicrling the stadium when the eagle was released and went straight to the field. I read in the Birmingham News the next day it was because of the wires that suspend the camera above the field for the bird's eye view (irony can be so ironic) and that the plan was never to circle the field. I would have thought that would have been an important thing to tell Carl Stephens.

Anyway, I don't know for sure, but that was the explanation.

Thanks for the info, I am in South Carolina needless to say our newspapers didnt mention any thing about it. I have to read over and over and over "ole ball coach" stories and what evidently ,by the media coverage , was the greatest football victory in the history of sports, Clemson beating A&M. I go to this forum to find out to read about the real tigers.......Thank God for the internet

or don't fly the bird at all when he can't circle. it was depressing, not exciting.

178877[/snapback]

I totally agree...dang, did I just agree with a self proclaimed "bed wetting libbie"... :no:

So any statements by GT fans that the eagle did not fly because we were afraid a GT DB would intercept it would be untrue? *grin*

WRECK TECH, WRECK TECH, WRECK THE HELL OUTTA GEORGIA TECH!

I absolutly HATE that camera! I hate the angle, I hate the wires, I hate every frikkin thing about it! I wish they'd leave that crap to the NFL.

Yeah, he flew from out of the student section in the endzone. He pretty much just jumped, nothing exciting.

Hadn't thought about the cables...they spanned all four corners of the stadium though.

Maybe I'm too much of an Auburn traditionalist, but not only was it depressing that the flight was so short, but I for one wish that they would stick to flying Tiger at ever game, with the only exception to that being Nova. Auburn's mascot is a Golden eagle, not a Bald eagle, and there's just something not right about it to me when a bald one flies. I guess I was just raised with my dad always telling me about the golden eagle and it has stuck with me.

Maybe I'm too much of an Auburn traditionalist, but not only was it depressing that the flight was so short, but I for one wish that they would stick to flying Tiger at ever game, with the only exception to that being Nova.  Auburn's mascot is a Golden eagle, not a Bald eagle, and there's just something not right about it to me when a bald one flies.  I guess I was just raised with my dad always telling me about the golden eagle and it has stuck with me.

179061[/snapback]

Well, you have to think a little deeper on the subject. Flying the eagles at the game gives exposure to the Raptor Center. The Raptor Center gets paid to go around and teach kids and organizations about birds of prey and about conservation. Flying ANY bird helps a lot of people, and Auburn. Remember Auburn getting recognition at the Olympics? That's a good thing. :thumbsup:

Yeah, ok, it's not a Golden Eagle, but then again it's better than nothing. And besides, the tiger is Auburn's REAL mascot, not a Golden Eagle so I don't get too upset about it. I do get a little irritated when people call us the Auburn War Eagles. :rolleyes:

I absolutly HATE that camera! I hate the angle, I hate the wires, I hate every frikkin thing about it! I wish they'd leave that crap to the NFL.

178903[/snapback]

well it gives u a MUCH better view of the OL and DL as well as the backfield...

178903[/snapback]

well it gives u a MUCH better view of the OL and DL as well as the backfield...

179067[/snapback]

SOMETIMES it's acceptible on a REPLAY, but not a live shot. Verticle depth perception in such a chaotic environment is extremely difficult.

Archived