Apparently ESPN showed me a different game

Strychnine

As the topic says, apparently ESPN showed me a different game than what some here were watching. I am neither a "positive" or "negative" fan, I just watch the game and take from it what it is.

After the greatness of the 2004 season, I was not expecting to be blown out of my chair by our performance against Georgia Tech. I expected us to win, but I expected it to be ugly as well. In fact, I even expected Georgia Tech to demonstrate why we usually play ULM or Ball State (or some other school of that caliber) for an opener.

It was torture to watch, as any loss is, but it was not as bad as many make it sound. Brandon Cox is definitely every bit the accurate QB he was advertised as. He made some mistakes (most of them costly), but who really expected him to just come out and pick up where Campbell left off? He certainly exceeded what I was expecting of his first game. I thought our offense in general was surprisingly productive considering what it had to replace from last year. Maybe some of you should look a few years back to find some truly anemic offenses. Better yet, just look at the AU-GT game from 2003.

I thought the defense got off to a bad start, but eventually performed rather well. All of those interceptions could have really caused that game to get out of hand (see AU-UT last year), but the defense kept us in a position to win. We replaced several players and were breaking in a new coordinator to boot, I expected worse.

Even in a loss, this game showed me that this team certainly has the ability to beat anyone else we will play.

As the topic says, apparently ESPN showed me a different game than what some here were watching.  I am neither a "positive" or "negative" fan, I just watch the game and take from it what it is.

After the greatness of the 2004 season, I was not expecting to be blown out of my chair by our performance against Georgia Tech.  I expected us to win, but I expected it to be ugly as well.  In fact, I even expected Georgia Tech to demonstrate why we usually play ULM or Ball State (or some other school of that caliber) for an opener.

It was torture to watch, as any loss is, but it was not as bad as many make it sound.  Brandon Cox is definitely every bit the accurate QB he was advertised as.  He made some mistakes (most of them costly), but who really expected him to just come out and pick up where Campbell left off?  He certainly exceeded what I was expecting of his first game.  I thought our offense in general was surprisingly productive considering what it had to replace from last year.  Maybe some of you should look a few years back to find some truly anemic offenses.  Better yet, just look at the AU-GT game from 2003.

I thought the defense got off to a bad start, but eventually performed rather well.  All of those interceptions could have really caused that game to get out of hand (see AU-UT last year), but the defense kept us in a position to win.  We replaced several players and were breaking in a new coordinator to boot, I expected worse.

Even in a loss, this game showed me that this team certainly has the ability to beat anyone else we will play.

178921[/snapback]

I agree.

178921[/snapback]

Strychnine is right...this game shows why we traditioanlly opened with Pacific and SW Louisiana in the Dye years...and you defintiely want to open with an easy game with a new QB... but we had a chance to win until late in the game. As in any game this complex there are a hundred strategy type decisions that could have been done differently.

It is quite reasonable to expect 8-10 wins after the bowl game is over...I still think we have a solid chance at beatign UGA or LSU and I expect we will beat Bama, although the gambler in me would put the probability of beating bama down to .58 instead of my preseason numebr 0f .75

now if we lose to MSU then I'll revise that probability down to .4

this will be a fun team to watch, it was a good point about comaprign this latest offensive effort to the game against tech 2 years ago...there is no question we are better off this year and that was an 8-4 team. I think this years record will eb better than 8-4.

Strychnine is right...this game shows why we traditioanlly opened with Pacific and SW Louisiana in the Dye years...and you defintiely want to open with an easy game with a new QB... but we had a chance to win until late in the game. As in any game this complex there are a hundred strategy type decisions that could have been done differently.

When it was 10-0 and the offense was doing nothing, I was worried. Then all of a sudden the lights came on, and it was 10-7. Campbell did not look that good at any point in his first season. Cox made mistakes, but he was not just handing the ball off to star RB's either. Basing this on a "bad game", his future looks very bright.

The offense was productive, and I am certain that at least two of those interceptions were on drives that could have produced points otherwise. We could have won that game, and it could also have been even worse. I have certainly seen losses that looked much worse than that one, and they included the immortal players we put in the draft last year.

I love this post!! By the way I was GreenBaytiger and have since moved to the D.C area and am back on. This post says exactly why I didnt through a fit watching this game. Our defense looked down right bad THE FIRST 2 DRIVES!! But from that point forward they looked very strong. I was a bit concerned with the DEs they looked like they were trying to out muscle the Tech OL and that does not happen in big time college football. I feel like that is why P.J got as many rushing yards as he did. But as for Mr Cox he is going to be scary good when he gets a little more big game exp. I thought that we were going to win all the way until the last FG and he is why not our RBs. By the way has anyone seen our running game?? :P:roflol::roflol: and on that topic being down is not how you get a good idea of a running game! BUT only being down by 3 in the third QT is a great time to run hint,hint CAB :poke: but with the production it was getting I can see his point. Overall this was a great game for B.Cox he stood tall in the pocket and hit some big time throws and got some big time hits for it too. But my thoughts are if we improve as much as we showed we have the potential too we will be a tough out for any team we play!!! Thanks for hearing me out :big::big: and War D Eagle Boys and as usual ONE GAME AT A TIME WDE

For those of you with memberships, check out Phillip Marshall's column on the ITAT site (AUTigers.com). He reports that the coaches are very upbeat and are convinced that the problems can be fixed. I agree.

I went to school in the Doug Barfield era. I KNOW futility. This is not it.

Winning at football is HARD. That is the reason it is worth trying. We have coaches and players with ability who are giving it their all.

War Eagle!! :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

What color Kool-aid are you drinking? And where can I get some? :P

179029[/snapback]

:homer:

179029[/snapback]

Raptor you can get what he is drinking in Tuscaloosa right by your house and your team's stadium! or 3 trailers down! :moon:

179029[/snapback]

Raptor you can get what he is drinking in Tuscaloosa right by your house and your team's stadium! or 3 trailers down! :moon:

179103[/snapback]

:huh: ?? Was it something I said?

179029[/snapback]

179103[/snapback]

179106[/snapback]

I don't think he knew you were messing around.........I Seriously hope you were messing around. If not.........I'll break it down for you. First Game Gitters, New Quarterback, New Running Backs, Pass Rushing DEnds trying to stop the run, New Corner Backs, oh yea........I almost forgot New DC. As much as I Really hated to watch the game after the last INT. I came to realize that we had to lose sometime, and I'd much rather it be the first game of the Regular Season and Not the last. Another thing, Auburn will not face a team the rest of the season that Blitzes that much. Plus, we Will run a lot more the rest of the season.

179029[/snapback]

I am more than willing to share. I have been saving this Kool-Aid since Jonestown.

Have you already written off a few more losses?

179029[/snapback]

179103[/snapback]

179106[/snapback]

I don't think he knew you were messing around.........I Seriously hope you were messing around. If not.........I'll break it down for you. First Game Gitters, New Quarterback, New Running Backs, Pass Rushing DEnds trying to stop the run, New Corner Backs, oh yea........I almost forgot New DC. As much as I Really hated to watch the game after the last INT. I came to realize that we had to lose sometime, and I'd much rather it be the first game of the Regular Season and Not the last. Another thing, Auburn will not face a team the rest of the season that Blitzes that much. Plus, we Will run a lot more the rest of the season.

179110[/snapback]

I don't like excuses. We should not have lost, period. I do have to disagree with you on one thing: You can bet that EVERY team we play will blitz like crazy until we learn to pick it up or hurt them with our passing game. The reason GT beat us two years ago was because they watched what USC did and each team after that continued to do the same things. Some better than others, of course. That what good coaching does. They break things down, watch and learn from mistakes and take advantages of the otehr teams weaknesses.

I don't like excuses. We should not have lost, period. I do have to disagree with you on one thing: You can bet that EVERY team we play will blitz like crazy until we learn to pick it up or hurt them with our passing game. The reason GT beat us two years ago was because they watched what USC did and each team after that continued to do the same things. Some better than others, of course. That what good coaching does. They break things down, watch and learn from mistakes and take advantages of the otehr teams weaknesses.

Cox hurt Georgia Tech with the passing game. I imagine most defenses consider giving up 300+ passing yards a bad thing, but they loved the interceptions. Cox threw 2 touchdown passes, 300+ yards total (342 if memory serves), and 4 interceptions. This transpired in the midst of all that blitzing. Inexperienced players make poor decisions sometimes, despite how much talent they have. Sullivan threw 2 touchdown passes, less total yards, and 5 interceptions in his first start. Sullivan did not turn out bad at all.

You give up 6 turnovers and you only lose by 9? All this is is growing pains. I see great things for Brandon...he's going to be a good one if he stays healthy. :thumbsup:

You give up 6 turnovers and you only lose by 9?  All this is is growing pains.  I see great things for Brandon...he's going to be a good one if he stays healthy.  :thumbsup:

179395[/snapback]

Aye, and that also demonstrates the fact that the defense was not horrible either.

I see great things for Cox as well, and he definitely showed that he could step out there and take a proper beating.

Cox hurt Georgia Tech with the passing game. I imagine most defenses consider giving up 300+ passing yards a bad thing, but they loved the interceptions. Cox threw 2 touchdown passes, 300+ yards total (342 if memory serves), and 4 interceptions. This transpired in the midst of all that blitzing. Inexperienced players make poor decisions sometimes, despite how much talent they have. Sullivan threw 2 touchdown passes, less total yards, and 5 interceptions in his first start. Sullivan did not turn out bad at all.

I knew Pat Sullivan; and BC, Sir, is no Pat Sullivan.

179334[/snapback]

179334[/snapback]

That Cox is Pat Sullivan, or the second-coming of Pat Sullivan, was not my point at all. If that was all you took from it, do not bother reading anything else I say.

Guest Tigrinum Major

179447[/snapback]

7, how can you say that BC will not be a good QB? Maybe I am misunderstanding your comments. If so, please let me know. You got it right when you said he would struggle and not be another Campbell, but you have to admit he performed reasonably well in a situation that was not all his fault.

I am not predicting that BC will be another Sullivan, Campbell (Jason or Randy for that matter), Burger, White or even Leard. I do think he will be a good QB that will win some big games in the future, including the very near future. There are issues that must be corrected and I believe that the coaches will do so sooner rather than later.

Comments?

Archived