Pat Sims

AFTiger

From the Montgomery Advertiser

Sims out?: Defensive lineman Pat Sims, one of the team's top recruits of 2004, missed Auburn's practice Sunday.

Asked about Sims' absence, defensive tackles coach Don Dunn said to refer those questions to Tuberville. The head coach, though, wasn't available for comment Sunday night.

Sims was expected to challenge Neil Brown for playing time behind starter Wayne Dickens at defensive tackle this season. Brown missed the MSU game with a neck injury, but true freshman Sen'Derrick Marks played behind Dickens.

Sims did not play.

Anybody know what is going on?

He is in the process of finding himself. He has all the tools and talent to be a very good player, but has not shown it on the practice field. He did not play Saturday and missed Sunday's practice. Hopefully he will think things straight and will work through, be a better man and football player (for AU). If not it would appear the possibility of quitting and transferring is before him. Let's hope he makes the best decision for his life.

Following is from the Huntsville Times:

Auburn notebook

Monday, September 12, 2005

Future is uncertainfor redshirt freshman

AUBURN - Redshirt freshman defensive tackle Pat Sims did not practice with Auburn's football team Sunday, and his future with the team was uncertain.

Sims, who was highly recruited out of Fort Lauderdale's Dillard High School in 2003, dressed out but did not play in Auburn's 28-0 victory over Mississippi State last Saturday.

Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville said he would not comment until he had talked to Sims, who had fallen behind true freshman Sen'Derrick Marks on the depth chart.

This is the first I have heard about this so I have no clue, but....it sounds like some more attitude adjustments are taking place in the form of not playing a player.

Look at how well Kenny Irons faired from getting his "focus" straight. Tubs has built a program up, that in my opinion, he doesn't have to put up with "lack of focus". If you don't want to practice or play hard, he is going to find someone that does.

I think it is the sign of a good program!!!!

This is the first I have heard about this so I have no clue, but....it sounds like some more attitude adjustments are taking place in the form of not playing a player.

Look at how well Kenny Irons faired from getting his "focus" straight. Tubs has built a program up, that in my opinion, he doesn't have to put up with "lack of focus". If you don't want to practice or play hard, he is going to find someone that does.

180648[/snapback]

I agree with you but at the same time I wish TT would let more of the bench warmers get in a play or two after the game is decided. I know hw played a lot of guys against MSU but I wish, for example, he would have put in Fields at QB for the last series. It would have bewen good experience for Blake. And just letting Sims get on the field for 1-2 plays might have saved a guy with a lot of potential.

180648[/snapback]

I agree with you but at the same time I wish TT would let more of the bench warmers get in a play or two after the game is decided. I know hw played a lot of guys against MSU but I wish, for example, he would have put in Fields at QB for the last series. It would have bewen good experience for Blake. And just letting Sims get on the field for 1-2 plays might have saved a guy with a lot of potential.

180653[/snapback]

I agree with you if our first team were experienced...they are not. These boys need to play together as much as possible.

It is not like the team last year where we knew what they could do...these guys are going to get A LOT better and it is the game situations that make them better.

You can not simulate a game type atmosphere and I think that is what cost us against Tech. These guys are still really young and need the experience also.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Rumors at ITAT have him back at practice today. The article about Alonzo Horton said that he was with Alonzo when he got the news about his brothers. Hopefully, he will be back.

Defensive lineman Pat Sims was a no-show for Tuesday's practice. He also missed Sunday's practice. The players have Mondays off.

Sounds like he is gone from the team....anybody know for sure?

From what I hear, and this is just totally rumor...but supposedly his work ethic is very bad. Sometimes he gives 100%, and other times he takes plays off. Hopefully he can do whatever he has got to do and rejoin the team.

I hope he can decide to work at it. With his talent, his future would be very bright if only he could realize that and be willing to make it happen. I hope he has talked to Chet.

Auburn played 55 players on Saturday.

If I were on the team and didn't get in, I would be discouraged too. Hope he can overcome whatever his problems are.

You will recall that he was really highly recruited.

Redshirt freshman Pat Sims, who didn’t play in Auburn’s win over Mississippi State Saturday, was absent from both Sunday’s practice and again on Tuesday before telling the coaches he was leaving the program. Sims plans to stay in school and transfer at the end of the semester. He plans to play football when he transfers....where ???

I seem to recall some articles (sorry, don't have a link) pre-season where Sims wasn't happy about his situation (that of not being the starter & all.) The general gist of the articles was optimistic and after being forced to work his tail off in red-shirt workouts, he was ready to show what he could do. There was some bitterness expressed -- he mentioned that Ohio St & Miami, FSU, etc. had all recruited him but he chose to come to AU. It sounded then like he was questioning whether he made the right decision and now it's come to this where he probably feels like he needs to move on in order to get some meaningful playing time.

Sorry it didn't work out for him here at AU. Good luck to him whereever he goes.

I guess good luck, but from what I see...Im glad this player is transferring.

"Sims out: Defensive tackle Pat Sims, one of Auburn's top recruits of 2004, has left the team permanently and will transfer to another school. Sims played in one game last season before being relegated to the scout team. In an August interview with the Montgomery Advertiser, Sims said he was upset about being redshirted, and considered leaving at that stage"

Hes not a teamplayer, and hes all about "Me". Hopefully whatever school he chooses next will baby him more than we did.

Guest Tigrinum Major

I wish him well, wherever he lands.

Auburn isn't for everyone and I hold no grudge against him, unless he starts badmouthing his experience there. If he is as good as he thinks he is, he will be a good player for someone. If he's not, that will come out also.

Archived