CTTs influence on the Offense

AUesquire

I see a trend that sometimes is a little disturbing where CTT and his influence over the game plan is concerned. In the off season, I heard him admit that the LSU game shouldn't have been as close as it was because he purposely didn't want to throw the ball because of the wind predicted that day. Recall a hurricane was blowing through. Turned out, opening up the offense was what brought us back.

The O was shut down after the half several times last year. Granted we had big leads in many of those games and I'm certainly not complaining about not running up the score. But, the Va. Tech game was the poster child for the point I'm making here. I don't recall ever seeing a team go into a bigger shell than that and it almost got us beat. This past Saturday, I watched an almost identical scenario in the second half with regard to the playcalling. 2 vanilla running plays and a safe pass on 3rd and long to try and pick up the 1st down. Difference was, it was MSU...not Va. Tech.

It was painfully obvious the offense was in shut down mode. While only netting 14 first half points, the offense looked like last year's. A great mix of running and throwing. The backs looked good because the D was totally off balance. Tight ends were used, they threw to backs out of the backfield, screens were run etc. Second half....let's turn off the switch. I know it was MSU and the D had it in control all game but 14 points isn't safe even against Ball State with a half to go.

Granted, it's hard to find something to complain about when your team has won 16 out of the last 17 games. I'm just wondering how much influence CTT has over Borges and the in-game play calling. If turning off the switch is CTT's call, I honestly would like to see him allow Borges to do what he hired him to do. Let him call the plays from start to finish. And if I'm wrong about that influence and it's Borges going ultra conservative, I'd like to see CTT get in his ear and say, "Don't shut it down so quick, keep the pressure on."

Thoughts?

Well, only in hindsight do you know what is best. Do you recall a Nick Saban LSU team continuing to pass through a comfortable lead only to be repeatedly intercepted enough times to lose the game?

I think the AU philosophy of becoming conservative and trying to run out the clock is a good one. It won't always result in victory, but usually will. Running up the score still results in higher poll rankings, and should we had greater margins of victory last year, we may have played for the MNC. Tell me the final score under each scenario, and I'll tell you the way to go. :thumbsup:

Guest Tigrinum Major
Well, only in hindsight do you know what is best.  Do you recall a Nick Saban LSU team continuing to pass through a comfortable lead only to be repeatedly intercepted enough times to lose the game?

180767[/snapback]

I thought that was Curly Hallman.

Back on the original idea, yes, it frustrates the heck out of me. I don't mind going into a shell midway through the fourth, but not midway through the third. It rarely comes back to bite us, but it has once or twice and it alwasy makes the game closer than neccessary. I subscribe to the Spurrier philosophy: If you don't want to get beat that bad, learn to play better defense.

I agree that to this point, it hasn't gotten AU beat and again, I certainly am not advocating running up the score and embarrasing anyone. MSU should have been 42-0 at the very least. Instead, we're discussing what's wrong with the running game and why we aren't in the top 25 and other "Questions about this team." The offense CAB runs is not a high risk offense anyway. I truly believe continuing on with the game plan in the 3rd quarter makes it a very convincing victory for the players and the voters.

Sorry, but I'm not ready to write off this season and I still hope to get to Atlanta and a BCS bowl.

I may be wrong about the coach. We need to power up our Bengal Tigers and let them keep me straight on LSU football.

After seeing [Cox] throw the ball right in the gut of a defender [who dropped it], I am not complaining about the play calling. I'd rather win 28-0 than 42-14.

You may be right. Who knows. I have not heard AB say that Tubby pulls in the reigns on the offense, but, it could happen. I am not opposed to "running up the score" in the third and start of the fourth quarter. There is a difference in running your offense and running up the score. Who knows, it may have well cost us in '04.

I hope we have the "problem" of people complaining about the margin of victory in a ton of AU WINS this season. :au:

WAR EAGLE ! ! !

Guys, take this for what it is worth ;) We are playing the bench as much as possible last week and from now until :usc: CTT and CAB want playing time, and experience.

Bold Prediction: Watch for a non-Tre back to start carrynig the load.

CTT may 'start' Tre, but I bet KI will be getting the rock more and more to get him ready for the real games.

Well, only in hindsight do you know what is best.  Do you recall a Nick Saban LSU team continuing to pass through a comfortable lead only to be repeatedly intercepted enough times to lose the game?

180767[/snapback]

I thought that was Curly Hallman.

Back on the original idea, yes, it frustrates the heck out of me. I don't mind going into a shell midway through the fourth, but not midway through the third. It rarely comes back to bite us, but it has once or twice and it alwasy makes the game closer than neccessary. I subscribe to the Spurrier philosophy: If you don't want to get beat that bad, learn to play better defense.

180770[/snapback]

It was Curly Hallman....

Tubs is the head coach...he gets the heat if we screw up, and the praise if we win. So I guess he's kind of entitled. Just a thought.

:au::homer:

I agree totally. And I sure don't want this to sound like a "sky is falling" type thread. Not my intent. I just think the MSU game was a good example of shutting it down too early and someone is making that call. They ran a beautiful, well conceived offense in the first half. Racked up yardage and could have had about 14 more with a few breaks. 2nd half....complete shut down. Two runs up the middle, 3rd and long...punt. Only up 14 with a half to play. Honestly, that worries be a little.

Yes, we won and I ain't complaining about 16 wins in 17 games. I'd just like to see CAB given full control from start to finish and keep the pressure on.

Archived