"Tigers discover go-to tailback"

vatz22au

Coach Gran comments:

“We’ve found our starting tailback,” Gran said. “Kenny Irons is our starting tailback.”
“He had (11) carries and I like the way he pressured the line of scrimmage. It was all positive in his first start. The way he hits the hole; he’s got that Carnell Williams explosion.”

Very Humble Irons:

But to Irons, he’s a long way from being Cadillac.

“I wouldn’t say (I’m) the No. 1 guy,” the junior running back said. “Everyone’s competing. I’m still competing. I’m going to do my best to stay we’re I’m at. I want to produce.”

As for the second man in the rotation:

Two guys who took a major step in that direction were Carl Stewart and Brad Lester, while Tre Smith took a step back.

Here

Sorry Tim :(

I know they need to solidify who is going to play, but the caliber of competition this past week and this upcoming week does not do much to determine how a particular individual may do in SEC play. I would think that AU would get more out of a practice.

This is actually right along the lines of what many, if not most, predicted would happen. It seemed most folks here thought Irons would take over by about the 5th game or thereabouts. I don't have a preference either way. I know the coaches see em' every day and grade them with tons of film so if they say KI, sounds good to me.

As long as it's KI and not AI. Practice? Practice? Man, we talkin' bout practice here. :D

I hope we continue to get Tre and Lester into the O when we can use their talents, but I trust Coach Gran and CTT so War Damn Eagle and congrats to Irons.

Ok. Give Tre 7 carries and sure, he is going to fall back, of course it doesn't bother me because I don't think he is the best back out there.

182589[/snapback]

Irons - 11 carries 147 yds 2 TD

Lester - 7 carries 91 yds 2 TD plus 93 yard kick off return for TD

Smith - 7 carries 52 yds 1 TD

Stewart - 8 carries 51 yds 1 TD

Davis - 2 carries 49 yds 1 TD

Archived