Sanders stepping down

Guest Tigrinum Major

Guest Tigrinum Major

Sanders Taking The Fall

Bad decision, in my opinion. Sanders' scheme is not bad, but players have fumbled thru the endzone and missed passes this season. He is the fall guy for players' poor execution.

Rumor (not in the link) is that Cutcliff might take over the remainder of the season if his doctor will allow it. Nothing is firm yet on when Sanders steps down, but if he does this week, the rumor makes sense. Sanders will stay on staff.

we knew it was bound to happen

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...TS0601/51031001

Sanders Expected to Step Down as UT Offensive Coordinator

By CHRIS LOW

Staff writer

Tennessee Coach Phillip Fulmer is expected to announce later this afternoon that Randy Sanders will step down as the Vols' offensive coordinator, although Sanders will stay on staff for the remainder of the season as quarterbacks coach.

Fulmer will take over the play-calling duties and offensive coordinator responsibilities for the rest of the seson. Fulmer and Sanders have had ongoing discussions about this change for the last two days.

After Saturday's 16-15 loss to South Carolina, the Vols are ranked 108th nationally out of 117 Division I-A programs for scoring offense. The South Carolina loss marked the first time in the Phillip Fulmer era that the Vols have lost three straight games.

Sanders Taking The Fall

Bad decision, in my opinion.  Sanders' scheme is not bad, but players have fumbled thru the endzone and missed passes this season.  He is the fall guy for players' poor execution.

Rumor (not in the link) is that Cutcliff might take over the remainder of the season if his doctor will allow it.  Nothing is firm yet on when Sanders steps down, but if he does this week, the rumor makes sense.  Sanders will stay on staff.

193939[/snapback]

I agree completely. :ut: might very well have other problems, but their players have not been playing like top tier SEC players. Way too many mistakes and at times lackadaisical play. They don't seem to be playing with heart and desire like many :ut: teams in the past. Is that coaching? I don't know, but it has been obvious that Fulmer would be forced to make a decision like this soon. The :ut: fans would accept nothing less.

For what it's worth, I think their QB situation has caused much more turmoil than expected. They are all, coaches & players, probably blaming each other for their demise this year.

Remember, UT looked very bad in some games last year (Auburn, Vandy, Notre Dame).. they played enough good games (Georgia) a year ago to escape with the SEC East, but I think Fulmer, if he does this again in 2006, is gone.

Even in good times, the UT faithful have not been happy with Sanders. Personally, in today's "What have you done for me lately" society, I'm surprised Fulmer's held out this long. I guess because they've have such a good winning percentage, it's hard to justify making a change.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this season has given the UT contingent the ammunition they've needed to force a change. Sanders may or may not be the greatest OC, but just look at our own situation and what a change to the right man can do for the program.

Don't tell 'em Esquire. Maybe we should start a "Keep Randy!" campaign. :D

I agree completely.  :ut:   might very well have other problems, but their players have not been playing like top tier SEC players.  Way too many mistakes and at times lackadaisical play.  They don't seem to be playing with heart and desire like many :ut: teams in the past.  Is that coaching?

193976[/snapback]

I think this speaks volumes for the kind of program that :ut: has. I see how many, 12 I think it is, players that have been in trouble with the law in the last year, and I can't help but say that how your team performs on the field is related to what kind of young men you are recruiting into your program. It's obvious the difference in a program such as :au: when compared to :ut: . Recruit thugs and you won't have the respect from them that you need as a coach which translates into losing games.

Yet again, another reason to be grateful for CTT and the kind of program that he has established at :au:

Well you knew someone was going to take it on the chin for the poor paly this season. It surely wasn't going to be Fulmer, at least for this season.

I still don't know how we gave that game away!!! Tenn has turned out to be a joke, and somehow we managed to throw away a 21-0 lead???? It just kills me!!! <_<

194199[/snapback]

It kills me that you guys didn't do the same in our game! :(

I still don't know how we gave that game away!!! Tenn has turned out to be a joke, and somehow we managed to throw away a 21-0 lead???? It just kills me!!! <_<

194199[/snapback]

It kills me that you guys didn't do the same in our game! :(

194208[/snapback]

Can we get a do-over?

Archived