Not usually a cold water person

GalensGhost

I'm not usually a person to throw cold water. In fact, I'm generally one of the most optimistic people in the world.

But I was a little taken aback by the pass coverage. I understand a play or two where a guy has a 15-yard halo. But it seemed like every time Shockly dropped back there was somebody running alone like a gazelle across the savannah.

I'm not sure what we're trying to do there, but it unnerves me. Somebody help me!

Oh. We won. It's GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger. WDE!

lsWHO's beating of uat was so ugly it was very hard to watch. uat has NO offense...none. ringo was throwing off his back foot like a junior high qb. IF the uat kicker can hit ten fgs next week, they have a chance. :lol:   :lol:

197788[/snapback]

:big: (BIG FREAKING GRIN)

I CANNOT WAIT TO BE ON THE PLAINS NEXT WEEKEND. SHOULD BE ANOTHER CLASSIC............WHOOPIN. GOING FOR 4 IN A ROW BABY.

Instead of worrying about the negatives tonight, think of it this way: Our defense was good enough to beat Georgia, and I think Bama's offense will be worse.

Instead of worrying about the negatives tonight, think of it this way:  Our defense was good enough to beat Georgia, and I think Bama's offense will be worse.

197804[/snapback]

Yeah, I get it. I'm happy. I'm optimistic. I see the silver linings.

It was just uncharacteristic. It concerned me. I didn't know what to make of it.

Here's the way I saw it ghost. Almost 1\2 of ug's passing yards went to pope and we won't see another one like him until the next time we play ug. Also, we played the best (or one of the best) QB in the SEC tonight and still came out ok.

Remember, we did score a DEFENSIVE TD tonight. Not too shabby IMO.

I'm not usually a person to throw cold water. In fact, I'm generally one of the most optimistic people in the world.

But I was a little taken aback by the pass coverage.  I understand a play or two where a guy has a 15-yard halo.  But it seemed like every time Shockly dropped back there was somebody running alone like a gazelle across the savannah. 

I'm not sure what we're trying to do there, but it unnerves me.  Somebody help me!

Oh. We won. It's GREAT to be an Auburn Tiger.  WDE!

197762[/snapback]

I was worried about that as well but since they won, I will overlook till next week.

Were you able to listen to the AU post game show? Quinton Riggins talked about that and attributed it to playing a true 50 defense rather than the normal 4 - 3 that AU usually plays.

Hopefully they will be able to do better next Saturday when UaT comes to town.

I'm really excited about the win and like our chances next week.

But I am concerned with what I saw tonight in the secondary, so many just wide open recievers and comments like finding huge holes in the zone, or just let their man go..... yikes. Also heard alot of references about using the 50 bear D.

I'm sure this will be addressed this week and probably first on the list of things to do tomorrow.

And Pope is a beast.

Pope may very well be the best pass catching TE in the SEC since the big Lefleur<sic> guy at lsWHO.

Pope may very well be the best pass catching TE in the SEC since the big Lefleur<sic> guy at lsWHO.

197817[/snapback]

He can catch and he looks like Richard Kiel standing heads and shoulders above everybody else out on the field. Scary tight end.

GalensGhost, I don't think your statement of concern is negative at all. It certainly merits concern. Massaquoi and Pope both ran amuck all n ight long. Our tackling was poor and our secondary coverage was suspect. However, I don't think we have seen or will see that type of QB for the rest of the year or another tight end like Pope, so who knows?

I will stand by my earlier post that the way to beat Alabummer for the fourth time in a row is to:

1. Put a LOT of pressure on Croyle ALL the time;

2. Take away the BIG pass play

3. Contain Darby;

3. NO turnovers;

Ok, that's a tall order but it will win for us. WDE! :cheer::au:

Our pass defense was terrible.

We gave up 441 yds of total offense.

We won the game. That's about all you can say. I'll take it.

197837[/snapback]

WHat did u expect when Gibbs had to put TWO LBs on Shockley as spies...Thank God SHOCKLEY'S gone next year!

http://wardamntailgate.com/index.php?modul...TATIONXXIII.htm

Joe “God help us if he has to play” Tereshinski, who filled DJ’s former role of “Backup Quarterback Who Ruins Perfect Seasons” quite nicely.

With a name like Tereshinski, it has to be good (for us).

I have also never been one to throw cold water on a great win. That was a great game and a great win! :D

That having been said, you have to be concerned about the pass defense. If you had told me before the game that AU would score 31 I would have told you it would be a blowout. The pass defense these past two weeks has been the worst I have seen on an Auburn team in a very long time. Yes, Shockley and Pope are great players, but come on, Pope is as big as a house! How can our LB's and DB's just leave him standing around in the middle of the field waving his arms with not a soul within 15 yards! These last two games are the worst overall defensive performances since TT came to Auburn. Whatever the issues are they need to be dealt with before next week or we are not headed to a happy ending. It looks as though we don't even have safeties on the field at times.

I was pretty frustrated in the 2nd half that Pope still wasn't being covered. David Gibbs could have done a better job of adjusting in the 2nd half.

Our corners made some great plays. But Shockley's passes were dead on. And UGA receivers were not in any mood to drop anything. Good job.

Here's the way I saw it ghost. Almost 1\2 of ug's passing yards went to pope and we won't see another one like him until the next time we play ug. Also, we played the best (or one of the best) QB in the SEC tonight and still came out ok.

Remember, we did score a DEFENSIVE TD tonight. Not too shabby IMO.

197810[/snapback]

I think UGA is maybe the best team all around in the SEC this year. With DJ the UF game would have been UGA's for the taking.

I have a feeling we will not see Pope next year in Auburn.

First of all this was a great win and we are at the time of the season where "just win baby". But you do wonder about the pass defense. I want to think that we were so concerned with Shockley scrambling and running the ball (which he did do some), that we did have the "spies" on him and did not blitz alot. By having the spies I believe we played a lot of zone. To me that is the only way some of these guys were wide open. Shockley and Pope are their team and even thought they came close they did not beat us. I think the strategy changes this week to heavy pressure via the blitz and man up on the outside. UA either runs slant or throws long in those situations. They will go for max protection with few running the route.

Our pass defense was terrible.

We gave up 441 yds of total offense.

We won the game. That's about all you can say. I'll take it.

197837[/snapback]

WHat did u expect when Gibbs had to put TWO LBs on Shockley as spies...Thank God SHOCKLEY'S gone next year!

197842[/snapback]

I expect Gibss to make halftime ADJUSTMENTS. None were made. Shockley was coming off a knee injury and wearing a knee brace. He was killing us with his arm, not his legs. True he had a couple of good scrambles, but his passing is what did the damage against us.

Archived