Good "blurb" on Auburn

GoAU

On the other hand, I was right about Auburn not missing much of a step from last season’s success. I figured that there would be a slight letdown from 2004 (after all, the Tigers went 12-0 AND had to replace its senior starting QB along with its superstar RB duo), but the defense, which was loaded with speed and power hitters, would be good enough to win the SEC. The season-opening loss to GA Tech had me scratching my head, but that would be the only game in which this team was outplayed (which was later somewhat validated by Tech’s success). The loss at LSU could/should have easily been a win at LSU, as the offense and defense both played spectacularly, but an otherwise solid John Vaughn (five missed field goals) just happened to have one of those nights, which ended up being the difference between the West title and having to root for the Hogs on Thanksgiving Friday. The offense, which was thought to be the biggest question mark of this year’s squad, was the class of the SEC (and far exceeded my expectations), as Brandon Cox proved to be as good as advertised, and Kenny Irons nearly made us forget about last year’s backfield. Basically, the team got better with each game, and, by the end of the Bama contest, had you wondering if this might just be the most well-balanced team in the SEC – despite the fact that it would likely be shut-out of the SEC championship and a BCS bid.

Tuesday Question

Archived