Does ND deserve to be in the BCS?

vatz22au

Does ND deserve to be in the BCS?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Does ND deserve to be in the BCS?

• Yes
    • No
    • I dont know

They havent beaten a ranked team all year....The defense they have is horrible. 5-5 Stanford took it to the wire and gained the lead with 1:45 on the clock...also scored around 30 points.

Their claim to fame? They almost beat USC in the "game of the century." (How many teams have almost beaten USC this year? *cough* Fresno St.*cough* ) Besides, I still consider that bama vs tenn game (5 overtimes) as one of the greatest I've ever seen.

The schedule they have is lack luster..... They need to join a conference, the "lets have special rules for the BCS around Notre Dame" thing is unfair to college football.

Any of the top 15 teams I believe could take it to Notre Dame.

Comments?

It depends on how you look at it..... From one aspect ..Yes....

ND, like other large private schools has understood that 'football is a business'...Acordingly, they work it like a business. Friends, Grads, Alumni, and fans spread their influence to every voting pollster, writer, bowl committee, etc. As a result, they can press for favors when needed.....

Who else.....usc, Miami, maybe others......

Continue to look for these schools to get the unfair advantage.......

So from their aspect, they earned it.....

It depends on how you look at it..... From one aspect ..Yes....

ND, like other large private schools has understood that 'football is a business'...Acordingly, they work it like a business.  Friends, Grads, Alumni, and fans spread their influence to every voting pollster, writer, bowl committee, etc.  As a result, they can press for favors when needed.....

Who else.....usc, Miami, maybe others......

Continue to look for these schools to get the unfair advantage.......

So from their aspect, they earned it.....

202341[/snapback]

They earned it? You basically described how they have a big influence on others....but definitely havent "earned" it.

They havent beaten a ranked team all year

Top twenty-five teams on Notre Dame's schedule:

Pittsburgh #23

Michigan #3

Purdue #22

USC #1 (I know they lost)

The schedule they have is lack luster..... They need to join a conference, the "lets have special rules for the BCS around Notre Dame" thing is unfair to college football.

I agree; they should join a conference. It is not fair for them to have their own special BCS clause. However, to discount the team's ability because they're not in a conference is just silly.

That's a little bold and not entirely accurate. Notre Dame has a lot of talent

Pittsburgh #23

Michigan #3

Purdue #22

I agree; they should join a conference. It is not fair for them to have their own special BCS clause. However, to discount the team's ability because they're not in a conference is just silly.

That's a little bold and not entirely accurate. Notre Dame has a lot of talent

202353[/snapback]

I seemed to recall a friend telling me the stat they havent beaten a ranked opponent all year, dont know if those rankings are "what they were at the time" or if those are the teams rankings as of now...

Regardless, they dont deserve a bcs bid.

Also, look at their nice tv schedule...Every game on ABC, NBC, and ESPN....and check out their opponent's records for each of those televised games (1-7 syracuse!?!).

Pittsburgh #23

Michigan #3

Purdue #22

202353[/snapback]

I seemed to recall a friend telling me the stat they havent beaten a ranked opponent all year, dont know if those rankings are "what they were at the time" or if those are the teams rankings as of now...

Also, look at their nice tv schedule...Every game on ABC, NBC, and ESPN....and check out their opponent's records for each of those televised games (1-7 syracuse!?!).

202356[/snapback]

Those rankings are what they were at the time. I know everyone says you are supposed to go by what the team was ranked at the time (otherwise, we couldn't claim to have beaten #4 LSU and #8 UT last year, as they obviously didn't finish there) but come on, Pitt and Purdue aren't even bowl eligible. Michigan, ok, gotta give you that one...I guess they are close enough to say that you could count them as where they were ranked at the time. ND has beaten three teams this year with a winning record-Michigan, BYU, and Navy. I think they are a good team, but definitely not up to snuff to be in a BCS game.

Oh, and Vatz, remember they have that TV contract with NBC where every home game they have is televised. Not as bad this year, but man did it piss off last year to watch games like 4-6 ND take on 3-7 Stanford (or whatever there records really were).

Can anybody tell me where their magical "National appeal" comes from? Alabama and Meeshigun have won just as many games and bowls and national championships, etc, etc, ad nauseum, but no one talks about their "National Appeal." I don't dispute that it's there, only that I don't think their advantage in national interest is nearly as great over some other "National" teams as it's made out to be. I certainly can't explain why it's there. And no, you can't give me the "It's because it's a Catholic School Answer." Most Catholics in the US live in the Northeast where they don't even know college football exists. The ones in the rest of the country aren't enough to justify the supposed interest ND has.

:au:

Can anybody tell me where their magical "National appeal" comes from?  Alabama and Meeshigun have won just as many games and bowls and national championships, etc, etc, ad nauseum, but no one talks about their "National Appeal."  I don't dispute that it's there, only that I don't think their advantage in national interest is nearly as great over some other "National" teams as it's made out to be.  I certainly can't explain why it's there.  And no, you can't give me the "It's because it's a Catholic School Answer."  Most Catholics in the US live in the Northeast where they don't even know college football exists.  The ones in the rest of the country aren't enough to justify the supposed interest ND has.

202358[/snapback]

Unfortunately, I think that part of the answer is that Notre Dame is by far the most famous, prestigious religious university in the United States. If there was a similar D-1A football program at a 4-year $30K/year Southern Baptist university, I think they would garner a similar sidewalk fandom as Notre Dame's. However, their fandom would have to disavow their blind allegiance to Bama first.

You should also check out where the Catholics all live. I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, which is about 75% Catholic. I also know that some of the northern midwest and Great Lakes states have quite a few Catholics as well. Outside of the southeastern US, I think that Catholics run pretty thick everywhere.

And as far as teams being snubbed from the BCS, I think that Oregon will have a huge bone to pick if Ohio State gets the nod for the 2nd at-large bid (assuming ND gets the first). Oregon has one loss to USC. Ohio State has 2 losses (both to good teams, though they played like crap in both games [PSU, Texas]) and a squeaker of a win over 4-loss Michigan. Neither is too awfully compelling, but I'd let the 1-loss team in before I'd let Ohio State in.

Unfortunately, I think that part of the answer is that Notre Dame is by far the most famous, prestigious religious university in the United States.  If there was a similar D-1A football program at a 4-year $30K/year Southern Baptist university, I think they would garner a similar sidewalk fandom as Notre Dame's.  However, their fandom would have to disavow their blind allegiance to Bama first.

You should also check out where the Catholics all live.  I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, which is about 75% Catholic.  I also know that some of the northern midwest and Great Lakes states have quite a few Catholics as well.  Outside of the southeastern US, I think that Catholics run pretty thick everywhere.

And as far as teams being snubbed from the BCS, I think that Oregon will have a huge bone to pick if Ohio State gets the nod for the 2nd at-large bid (assuming ND gets the first).  Oregon has one loss to USC.  Ohio State has 2 losses (both to good teams, though they played like crap in both games [PSU, Texas]) and a squeaker of a win over 4-loss Michigan.  Neither is too awfully compelling, but I'd let the 1-loss team in before I'd let Ohio State in.

202381[/snapback]

You are certainly right about the size of Notre Dame relative to other religous schools...its just that I really find it hard to believe that it plays such a large part of the equation. My catholic girlfriend's mom is a huge Alabama fan. The team she hates more than any other (besides AU)....Notre Dame. I guess really though, it's not so much that I'm really disputing any of it, as unfortunately (just like you pointed out) you are probably right. It's just tough for me to believe. Seems an easy case could be made for them to be among the most followed nationally, it just baffles me how the Irish national following seems to be truckloads larger than anyone else.

I guess you're right as well about the Catholics. I know they are everywhere, I just always thought that Protestants/other made up the great majority outside the Northeast. Certainly never knew about St. Louis...they say you learn something new everyday, so I guess I'm done for today. :)

Pittsburgh #23

Michigan #3

Purdue #22

202353[/snapback]

202356[/snapback]

Those rankings are what they were at the time. I know everyone says you are supposed to go by what the team was ranked at the time (otherwise, we couldn't claim to have beaten #4 LSU and #8 UT last year, as they obviously didn't finish there) but come on, Pitt and Purdue aren't even bowl eligible. Michigan, ok, gotta give you that one...I guess they are close enough to say that you could count them as where they were ranked at the time. ND has beaten three teams this year with a winning record-Michigan, BYU, and Navy. I think they are a good team, but definitely not up to snuff to be in a BCS game.

Oh, and Vatz, remember they have that TV contract with NBC where every home game they have is televised. Not as bad this year, but man did it piss off last year to watch games like 4-6 ND take on 3-7 Stanford (or whatever there records really were).

Can anybody tell me where their magical "National appeal" comes from? Alabama and Meeshigun have won just as many games and bowls and national championships, etc, etc, ad nauseum, but no one talks about their "National Appeal." I don't dispute that it's there, only that I don't think their advantage in national interest is nearly as great over some other "National" teams as it's made out to be. I certainly can't explain why it's there. And no, you can't give me the "It's because it's a Catholic School Answer." Most Catholics in the US live in the Northeast where they don't even know college football exists. The ones in the rest of the country aren't enough to justify the supposed interest ND has.

202358[/snapback]

Unfortunately, it comes from things like the movie "Knute Rockne" and such...and the fact that "back when", they were beating powerful (seriously) teams like Army, and on and on. It's a mystique built by the media, which is controlled by the northern part of this country....and it stinks...it's not fair...and I HATE NOTRE DA*N!!!

:au::homer:

Those rankings are what they were at the time.  I know everyone says you are supposed to go by what the team was ranked at the time (otherwise, we couldn't claim to have beaten #4 LSU and #8 UT last year, as they obviously didn't finish there) but come on, Pitt and Purdue aren't even bowl eligible. 

202358[/snapback]

So does that mean that LSU's only loss came to a top 10 Tenn in overtime?? :lol::D:D

You should also check out where the Catholics all live.  I grew up in St. Louis, Missouri, which is about 75% Catholic.  I also know that some of the northern midwest and Great Lakes states have quite a few Catholics as well.  Outside of the southeastern US, I think that Catholics run pretty thick everywhere.

Lots of Catholics in New Orleans and SE Louisiana, too!

And I love Notre Dame. My third favorite football team (behind Auburn, and whoever is playing Alabama that week).

Those rankings are what they were at the time.  I know everyone says you are supposed to go by what the team was ranked at the time (otherwise, we couldn't claim to have beaten #4 LSU and #8 UT last year, as they obviously didn't finish there) but come on, Pitt and Purdue aren't even bowl eligible. 

202358[/snapback]

So does that mean that LSU's only loss came to a top 10 Tenn in overtime?? :lol::D:D

202461[/snapback]

Well...so much for the credibility of that system. :)

About the Indepentent teams? there are four of them right? why dont they just form their own conference? if they did maybe the could pull other teams from bad conferences (big east) and make a decent conference, making it easier for conference teams to get at large bids.

ATLauburnfan :au:

Archived