Difficult record to break...

StatTiger

Correct if me if I'm wrong but I believe Bowden has 358 career wins and Peterno is five games behind at 353. Even if the record was finally established at 360, can anyone ever break it? Within recent memory, Coach Tom Osborne would have been in the picture, retiring after the 1997 season with 255 career wins in 25 years. Had he continued to coach, he would be over 300 by now.

Think about it...

A coach would have to average 10 wins for 36 years to tie the record. I just don't see any coach in this day & age, coaching for 36 years much less, averaging 10-wins per season during the same time period. I know many expect Bowden and Peterno to step down but I can't fault them for wanting to set a record that will probably never be broken. I know records are meant to be broken but this one is just about out of reach, IMO.

Is there anyone out there now, who might have a shot?

Thoughts?

Coach John McKissick

I know one man who has beat both of their win records! He was the coach at my old school Coach John Mckissick. Over 500 wins he has the most wins as a football coach in America! Summerville High School is going to the South Carolina state championship for football this weekend best of luck to them!!!

Coach John McKissick

I know one man who has beat both of their win records!  He was the coach at my old school Coach John Mckissick.  Over 500 wins he has the most wins as a football coach in America!  Summerville High School is going to the South Carolina state championship for football this weekend best of luck to them!!!

202531[/snapback]

Before this season Phil Fulmer was on pace

Doesn't Diddy Bowden have 30 some odd wins from his first head coach job that aren't Div. 1 ? For soem reason, I think he's got that many extra wins which he shouldn't have. Whats the story there? Also, doesn't Joe Pa have 4 undefeated seasons at PSU, and not 1 NC to show for any of 'em? :blink:

Coach John McKissick

I know one man who has beat both of their win records!  He was the coach at my old school Coach John Mckissick.   Over 500 wins he has the most wins as a football coach in America!  Summerville High School is going to the South Carolina state championship for football this weekend best of luck to them!!!

202531[/snapback]

Hey man! I work at WCIV in Charleston and am going to the big game at Williams-Brice this weekend. Summerville is playing Gaffney, home of Gamecock freshman phenom WR Sidney Rice. It should be fun! Give me your address and I'll send you the raw footage and the finished packages.

Before this season Phil Fulmer was on pace

202533[/snapback]

CPF has 128 career wins in 14 seasons, which is 9 per season. Can he average 10 wins for the next 24 years? Fulmer has a great record but he's still so far away from catching up to 360. This is the very reason why I don't see this record being broke.

Doesn't Diddy Bowden have 30 some odd wins from his first head coach job that aren't Div. 1 ? For soem reason, I think he's got that many extra wins which he shouldn't have. Whats the story there? Also, doesn't Joe Pa have 4 undefeated seasons at PSU, and not 1 NC to show for any of 'em?  :blink:

202535[/snapback]

Yep, I believe he has 31 wins from his Samford days.

Uh ... both Bowden & Paterno may have to hang on a few more years to catch up with these two:

Eddie Robinson, Grambling State: 408-165-15

John Gagliardi, St John's University: 432-118-11

especially since Gagliardi is still coaching. Link

In this day and age it will be a feat for most coaches to reach 100 wins in their career, with 200 being the big hurrah goal.

If someone coached for 50 years and won about 7 games a year it could happen. Much more probable than winning 10 a year for 36 years.

202554[/snapback]

i wouldn't think that is very likely considering that the youngest head coach is 38 years old. i don't think we will ever see an 88 year old head coach. it would be hilarious though.

Also, doesn't Joe Pa have 4 undefeated seasons at PSU, and not 1 NC to show for any of 'em?  :blink:

202535[/snapback]

I know PSU finished 12-0 in 1986, and won the National Championship that year (their 2nd in 5 years, but in 1982, they went 11-1).

If someone coached for 50 years and won about 7 games a year it could happen. Much more probable than winning 10 a year for 36 years.

202554[/snapback]

i wouldn't think that is very likely considering that the youngest head coach is 38 years old. i don't think we will ever see an 88 year old head coach. it would be hilarious though.

202557[/snapback]

I thought Lou Holtz was 539...oh wait that is in Dog years. His brain is definatly over 88.

Correct if me if I'm wrong but I believe Bowden has 358 career wins and Peterno is five games behind at 353. Even if the record was finally established at 360, can anyone ever break it? Within recent memory, Coach Tom Osborne would have been in the picture, retiring after the 1997 season with 255 career wins in 25 years. Had he continued to coach, he would be over 300 by now.

Think about it...

A coach would have to average 10 wins for 36 years to tie the record. I just don't see any coach in this day & age, coaching for 36 years much less, averaging 10-wins per season during the same time period. I know many expect Bowden and Peterno to step down but I can't fault them for wanting to set a record that will probably never be broken. I know records are meant to be broken but this one is just about out of reach, IMO.

Is there anyone out there now, who might have a shot?

Thoughts?

202529[/snapback]

Just thinking about those numbers realistically, I don't believe anyone will have a shot. I don't have the numbers (I would expect that you do though Stat), but most coaches don't even stay at one program for more than 10 years anymore. Let's just suppose that a coach lasts 36 years in the profession. He would most likely have been at 3-4 different schools during that time. The first year or two at each school would most likely be 7-8 win seasons at best. That means he would have to have several undefeated seasons in there somewhere, which is not nearly as likely as it was 10-20 years ago. I just don't see it happening.

Just thinking about those numbers realistically, I don't believe anyone will have a shot.  I don't have the numbers (I would expect that you do though Stat), but most coaches don't even stay at one program for more than 10 years anymore.  Let's just suppose that a coach lasts 36 years in the profession.  He would most likely have been at 3-4 different schools during that time.  The first year or two at each school would most likely be 7-8 win seasons at best.  That means he would have to have several undefeated seasons in there somewhere, which is not nearly as likely as it was 10-20 years ago.  I just don't see it happening.

202665[/snapback]

I agree. Other than the two coaches currently trying to set the new record, how many other D1 coaches are even close to 30 years as a HFC? I brought up Tom Osborne as an example because he was in a position to compete for the record but even he elected to step down after 25 years of coaching. Spurrier was tired after 12 years at Florida despite all the success he had. In fact, it was his success level at Florida which brought on more pressure to win at a high level. Phil Fulmer has accomplished the majority of what most fans want from their HFC yet he's under fire now with the 2005 season. The expectation level of any fanbase in this day & age makes it difficult for a coach to perform over an extended period of time.

I think it is plausible but not very likely in our lifetime. The reason it's plausible is because teams play more games now than they ever have before and it will get to be more after allowing the 12th game next year. It is possible for SEC, ACC, BIG 12 teams to have 14 games a year now and who knows if the season will be extended to include more games later or if a playoff system is ever introduced that would allow even more games.

Archived