Big News

SKCAUB

To all who are wanting a stadium expansion:

Wouldn't you have to first fill the one you have on a regular basis to consider that a needed option? From what I've heard about game attendance, it's been pretty poor, even for some of the SEC games.

That's just from friends who go to the games. I was at the GTech game and I was surprised at the number of seats I saw open when looking around.

204087[/snapback]

28-18

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is indeed a memorable day. I agree with seven's post 100%! :D

however, i disagree with the cop-out excuse that the gaps in seating in the upper deck is solely due to a lack of walk-up purchases and visitor attendance. we put visiting teams in one corner of the upper deck... not all four. and there were obvious holes in all four corners.

204157[/snapback]

Not a "cop-out excuse" at all - just a factual explanation. As of a couple of years back, visiting seats are now dispersed in five areas - northeast corner of the lower bowl, and all four corners of the upper decks. This was done in response to a changing trend among other schools. It used to be almost a "gentlemen's agreement" that schools would provide a contiguous block for the visiting team, often with some portion of that block along a corner of the visiting team's sideline. Increasingly, teams like MSU would break-up the visiting team's blocks, which diminished the visitor's effect in their home stadium. The final straw may have been in Atlanta, when tech put all of the Auburn tickets up in the north end upper deck. This past year, Auburn split the visitors out to the upper rows of the last sections in each corner of the upper decks, in addition to a reduced piece of the northeast corner. They were reluctant to do so, but it makes sense (respond in kind to the Mississippi schools and tech).

i hope it was just due to the unforseen circumstances this fall, but i'd rather stand pat where we are and sellout consistently, then build if necessary. i know some folks say "build for the future," but i'm more of a "don't look like a jackass in present" kind of guy when it comes to this kind of thing

204157[/snapback]

Stability, routine success, and improved scheduling (no 1AA's replacements for mid-majors who back-out of games) will quickly make that future arrive soon.

good post Freebody.  expansion for premium seating is all fine & dandy with me.  i forget about the other teams in the SEC that don't travel like our mighty Tigers!  but from my seats in the South EZ, i can't see the West upper deck so i have no idea what the crowds look like up there.  i can see the visitors on the East side though. 

204158[/snapback]

I stand up there on the top row during games (no matter where my seats are), and trust me, there are blocks of seats for the visitors up on the West upper deck as well.

would expansion in the North EZ include club-level type seats?

204158[/snapback]

Yes, but it might be the south end that goes first.

You guys just kill me............ :lol: Don't you realize that we are STARTING rumors here by doing this and saying this? What a let-down when we realize that the stadium will NOT be enlarged, Borges will NOT be named AHC (Matter of fact, he is being metioned on ESPN for the h ead coaching job at SDSU even as we rumor) or a new basketball facility. Lets calm down or get let down....WDE! ;)

Let me preface this by saying it IS A RUMOR...so I have NO LINK. But there is supposed to be, I hear, some BIG, GOOD news coming out of the Athletic Dept. after the bowl game. Does anyone have a clue what that might be?

I only come here seeking the truth....

:au:   :homer:

203860[/snapback]

I heard a rumor but don't know what it is. How did this go on for 4 pages?

Let me preface this by saying it IS A RUMOR...so I have NO LINK. But there is supposed to be, I hear, some BIG, GOOD news coming out of the Athletic Dept. after the bowl game. Does anyone have a clue what that might be?

I only come here seeking the truth....

:au:   :homer:

203860[/snapback]

I heard a rumor but don't know what it is. How did this go on for 4 pages?

204188[/snapback]

Yeah...thanks for that update. If you read my note, you'll see that I am trying to find out from those who have some connections what the "rumor"...and I called it that..."might" be. So sue me.

I'll tell you, some of you guys ought to write for the NY Times...you sure know how to criticize a legitimate, qualified quest for some dish. I'm sure that you have NEVER tried to follow up on a rumor.

That said...I've been coming to this site for a long time for NEWS...so I have a thick skin. But some of you would run a newbie off with your responses. Personally, I have enjoyed the talk about coaching promos, stadium expansion, et al. We have some very enlightened folks on here who are very interesting. And to those, I enjoy reading your posts.

:au::homer:

I don't entire buy those averages...por ejemplo, when they would say the attendance, it was always listed as capacity, even for games that were obviously oversold (ie people standing in the isles for as far as you could see), so I'd guess all those extra people weren't figured into the attendance average...

204099[/snapback]

I have always wondered about that...no matter who AU plays, or how packed it is, if it is a game that would be sold out, it is announced at 87,758 or whatever capacity is. It's amazing how 87,758 against Arkansas still allows you to breathe but 87,758 against UA, LSU, or UGA packs you in like a sardine. I would believe there is something against intentionally overselling, but UT, Michigan, and Penn St., just to name a few, routinely announce an attendance 3, 4, or 5 thousand over their official capacity.

:nanner::au::nanner:

204101[/snapback]

:ut: also. They regulary announce 110% attendance for games or the year. There must be something about the fire laws in Alabama where we can't announce it. I have always wondered where all of those people on the ramps come from and how they get in the games. There must be 3000+ up there.

there were most definitely gaps in the corners of the upperdecks. very noticeable. and the crowd wasn't loud. i'd say that was the weakest big game crowd i've ever seen at auburn. it will always stick with me that we didn't sellout or get loud in that game. oh well. we did better as the season progressed.

i hope we don't overexpand. there is a major danger of doing just that.

204122[/snapback]

The gaps in the upper corners were where the visiting tickets were seated. Apparently GT did not sell their allotment.

email I got from a friend:

Houston Nutt may be on his way out of Arky.  Lots of in-house fighting AND rumors of him fleeing to Colorado are everywhere.  We'll see...

AU Notes:

* Hugh Nall (OL Coach) is no longer a candidate for Georgia Southern HC

* Eddie Gran (RB/ST Coach) interviewed for the Mid Tenn. State job, although Pat Sullivan (of AU and UAB fame) is the front runner

* Al Borges is a candidate for San Diego State job (maybe Colorado, others) BUT...here's where it gets interesting:

* According to posters that are usually in "the know" on auburnsports.com, we should be looking for an announcement after the bowl game confirming (A) Big Al's paycheck will be getting fatter ($500k-$800k, current salary is $290k), ( B) will be officially named Assistant Head Coach, and © will be the successor in 2-4 years after Tub's retires (not sure if this part will be in contract and/or publicly released).  Apparently CTT is still having health issues (neck, etc.) and looks to be retiring within 4 years.  Al is now in-line to get that job (possibly contractually?) and to make sure he does not bolt, will be paid equivalent to a tier 2 HC (San Diego State HC made <$400k last year, Shula ~$800k). 

Anyone know anything about these "health" problems that CTT has?

Well I at least appreciate all the Ferris references :roflol: . Thanks for the laughs. Just don't get me started on Monty Python ;) .

Your heard it here first...

The press conference will be about the latest vendor change for the athletic department. In announcing the latest streamlining in his de[artment, Jacobs will tell us how he saved a bunch of money by switching their insurance to Geico.

Your heard it here first...

The press conference will be about the latest vendor change for the athletic department.  In announcing the latest streamlining in his de[artment, Jacobs will tell us how he saved a bunch of money by switching their insurance to Geico.

204230[/snapback]

That was easy03-11-gecko.jpg

Wouldn't you have to first fill the one you have on a regular basis to consider that a needed option? From what I've heard about game attendance, it's been pretty poor, even for some of the SEC games.

That's just from friends who go to the games. I was at the GTech game and I was surprised at the number of seats I saw open when looking around.

--------------------

--Streyeder

Do you honestly think that Bama will have over 93,000 for MTSU and some of those other non-conference games? No way.

Guest Tigrinum Major

204228[/snapback]

He has surgery on his neck several years ago and, according to conventional wisdom, still has concerns about it.

As far as the other info you posted, I have seen some of that at other similiarly unsubstaniated places and one, maybe two of those are accurate. The rumors, that is.

204228[/snapback]

He has surgery on his neck several years ago and, according to conventional wisdom, still has concerns about it.

As far as the other info you posted, I have seen some of that at other similiarly unsubstaniated places and one, maybe two of those are accurate. The rumors, that is.

204240[/snapback]

Hmm...didn't know his neck was still bothering him that badly.

204228[/snapback]

204240[/snapback]

204293[/snapback]

It has been aggravated by 24 cold Gatorade showers in the last 26 games

Guest Tigrinum Major

204228[/snapback]

204240[/snapback]

204293[/snapback]

I didn't either. But most things I read in various places concerning other things that your friend's email contained are best taken with a grain of salt.

I am not by any means "in the know", but most of those things seem unlikely to occur.

--------------------

--Streyeder

Do you honestly think that Bama will have over 93,000 for MTSU and some of those other non-conference games? No way.

204239[/snapback]

Attendance issues hmm ?

Attendance Stats

Game stats

Games

We do need a expansion, and that expansion need to occur within the student section.

As I posted earlier this year, games such as Tenn last year students were not allowed back in if they went to the bathroom, Auburn payed a fine to the fire marshall involving the student section at GT this year. These stories are available from the Plainsmen. Alabama game again you could not walk down the aisle at all from people standing in it.

--------------------

--Streyeder

204239[/snapback]

Attendance issues hmm ?

Attendance Stats

Game stats

Games

204359[/snapback]

Thanks for providing some actual stats for us to discuss!

When you first look at that, the overall rank of number five does seem really good, but on closer inspection, the story is not quite as great as it first seems. First off, notice that Auburn had seven home games, whereas most of the teams ranked below us had six, so that inflates our score. If you compare on a per game instead of total our rank would be much lower.

What concerns me more, however, is our percentage attendance. A quick glance at these stats make it look like on a percentage basis, we are actually #7 out of 12 SEC teams. Tenn, Florida, LSU, UGA, South Carolina, Alabama, then Auburn. If the different teams use different ways of figuring their attendance (for instance if stadium workers are counted in some, but not others) I would be interested to hear. Otherwise, I stand by my earlier comments, I don't think any massive additions should be made until we can get people in the seats for our "B" level games (Ole Miss, UK, Vandy, Miss St. etc).

Thanks again for going out and finding hard numbers!

--------------------

--Streyeder

204239[/snapback]

Attendance issues hmm ?

Attendance Stats

Game stats

Games

204359[/snapback]

Thanks for providing some actual stats for us to discuss!

When you first look at that, the overall rank of number five does seem really good, but on closer inspection, the story is not quite as great as it first seems. First off, notice that Auburn had seven home games, whereas most of the teams ranked below us had six, so that inflates our score. If you compare on a per game instead of total our rank would be much lower.

What concerns me more, however, is our percentage attendance. A quick glance at these stats make it look like on a percentage basis, we are actually #7 out of 12 SEC teams. Tenn, Florida, LSU, UGA, South Carolina, Alabama, then Auburn. If the different teams use different ways of figuring their attendance (for instance if stadium workers are counted in some, but not others) I would be interested to hear. Otherwise, I stand by my earlier comments, I don't think any massive additions should be made until we can get people in the seats for our "B" level games (Ole Miss, UK, Vandy, Miss St. etc).

Thanks again for going out and finding hard numbers!

204363[/snapback]

No problem I added no comments for a reason, I wanted to see what everyone did with the numbers. An announcement of planned stadium expansion may be on tap as I would suspect that activity to take years to complete. Also with the TV, Scoreboard, and Luxury seats closing the end-zone do not add as many seats as everyone thinks.

Maybe we should just wait.. ;)

It cumulative numbers appear impressive to me ... selling 96.24% of all available seats this year. Its too late to wait until we obtain 100% and then begin ... construction takes too long. I am not familar with the student ticket situation, but if more seats are needed I am providing more seats for our the students. On the other hand I believe the AU leadership is sufficiently competent to have appropriate needs and cost analyses prepared and use same in making decisions in this area.

If they make a decision to expand, I'm for it ... if they make a decision to wait, I'm for it. Bottom line is this ... I have confidence that the right decision will be made.

WAR EAGLE!!!

I found out what the infamous "rumor" was, and if there is any truth to it. Ok Guys, yes AWK took a day off Yesterday and did not post on the forums, BUT contrary to the beliefs of many, he has returned today. SO, everyone put away your tissues, you didnt miss me that much did ya? :big::comfort:

Archived