Looking back on the Bowl Game

Aubie7

First of all, I can't believe I bought into the hype. I am guilty, just like most of our fans. When I heard that there were no curfews and how the time would be used to practice the freshmen and under classmen at the bowl game, I started feeling uneasy. When I saw the shirt being worn and the picture of the gator being pulled out of the pool, it got to me more. However, I felt that everything would be under control. When I saw the Tiger walk, with players wearing their "grills" and hopping around and dancing I knew we were in trouble. When I saw coaches and players holding up 4 fingers, I also knew we weren't focused. When the game started it showed that we were completely unprepared.

Auburn's recruitment of "small but fast' defenseive players was over shadowed by UW's bigger, stronger, faster, offfensive players. At the first Tiger Walk this year I kept waiting for our big linemen, both O and D, to walk by, but they never did! I have heard many others say the same thing. UW blew us off the ball.

UW was also prepared mentally, even thoguh their team went to the same activities as ours. The UW coaching staff had obviously watched Auburn game films (and yes I am saying that it appeared that AU's staff had not). One of our biggest problems this year has been a breakdown between the linebackers and secondary on passing downs. The problem, I am told, stems from the fact that the two coaches do not get along. One has been their 25 years and the other is new. Our secondary is awful, yes I said it awful. I am sure that they are doing the best they can, but that is not good enough. UW, like many other teams this year, had wide open recievers whenever they needed it. Our defense, as a whole, has poor technique when tackling. We don't cover the TE or the back out of the backfiled, something I have said many times and was once again proven right in Orlando.

I am glad the server was down when I got back and I did not get to inject all of my anger over this pitiful showing on the field last Monday. The team did not play with much enthusiasm, nor with much knowledge it seemed, of what to do. A total meltdown in the biggest game of the year, to that date. Why was it the biggest yet? We all know: for next year. The bowl sets you up for the follwing year. A 10-3 record and we start higher, however that really doesn't seem to matter to Auburn. I predicted 8-3 for this year, while some here foolishly said 10, 11 and 12 wins. Looking at next year, it will be no better. 8-3. With LSU, UAT, UGA, UF, USC, and WS, we are looking at 6 losses if we don't show up for those games either.

Herin is the problem, yes we have won some big games. Yes we have beaten UAT 4 straight and UAG 5 of 7. Those games are huge! BUT, when getting to the SECCG, or trying to reach the SECCG game, or winning a bowl game, we fall. I know we won 13 last year and we won the Sugar Bowl and it was great. But that is the exception rather than the rule. CTT's one and only 10+ win season. I was really starting to think he would get us over the top. With a 10 win year this year and next, Auburn would be an elite team. Right now, we are not. All we have to show is one SECC and 5 SEC West trophies, 3 of which we shouldn't have received because we did not win the West outright.

Until this program, and God knows I love it, wins 10 plus game a year for 3 years straight, it will not be mentioned or thought of as "elite" on a national scale. Our bowl game was hardly even mentioned during the holiday's on ESPN and other networks. No one cared. We can always be satisfied with 7, 8, 9 wins though, if you like. That is the way it has always been anyway. As for me, I am embarrassed by the results of the bowl and the shortfalls of this program.

I will continue to show my support for the Tigers with money and cheering. I will not stop fighting for them or believing that someday we will get over the mountain.

I have only been going to games for over 40 years, so maybe sometime in the next 40 years things will change. :au:

At the first Tiger Walk this year I kept waiting for our big linemen, both O and D, to walk by, but they never did!

209196[/snapback]

You might not want to say that around Marcus McNeill, Troy Reddick, or King Dunlap! ...just a suggestion :big:

I doubt, very serioiusly, that "he" has EVER been to JH, much less to Tiger Walk. :rolleyes:

we could have a 25-30 game winning streak and the media still wouldn't notice.. We are not a media favorite and from the looks of it, never will be...what we have to do is continue to support our tigers, on and off the field, and be prepared for EVERY GAME...

You are 100% correct. Not bashing our TEAM and COACHING STAFF is a good way to show "support" as well. :cheer::cheer:

The end is coming....... :rolleyes:

I for one am glad the fact that we got killed wasn't all over the press. It was a bad game, theres no denying it. But it has been far from a trend.

The only thing I can say is that I agree with him that our team was clearly unprepared. Aside from that, pack it in and let's prepare for next season. No need for further excuses or comlpaints...

The only thing I can say is that I agree with him that our team was clearly unprepared.  Aside from that, pack it in and let's prepare for next season.  No need for further excuses or comlpaints...

209388[/snapback]

If there were such an animal as the "AUnation Post of the Day", this one would get MY vote!

Well said and WDE ! ! ! :au:

Archived