16th commitment

Tigermike

Birmingham (Ala.) Oak Mountain kicker Ryan Shoemaker became Auburn's 16th commitment of the 2006 class when he announced his decision to play football on the Plains at a Friday afternoon press conference.

Shoemaker will get his first look as a punter at Auburn.

The state's top kicker picked the Tigers over rival Alabama.

"At this time I want to announce that I've been offered and accepted a scholarship to play football at Auburn University," said Shoemaker.

I thought he was gonna be an invited WALK ON? :blink:

I am very glad to have him though. :au::thumbsup:

Saturday's Birmingham News said he is from an Alabama family, but now they are Auburn fans ... seems CTT offered a scholarship whereas UA offered to let him walk on. I'm sure the UA people are in a state of disbelief, after all, how could any athlete turn down an opportunity to walk on at THE university. Oh well, how the times have changed.

Well, I guess the bowl loss and uat's bowl win didn't influence his decision. I guess maybe bowl win or lose is not a major factor after all????

Well, I guess the bowl loss and uat's bowl win didn't influence his decision.  I guess maybe bowl win or lose is not a major factor after all????

209573[/snapback]

AU offered a scholarship while UA did not.

Well, I guess the bowl loss and uat's bowl win didn't influence his decision.  I guess maybe bowl win or lose is not a major factor after all????

209573[/snapback]

AU offered a scholarship while UA did not.

209695[/snapback]

From what I have been hearing, Shula at first told the young man a position as an invited walk on. Tubberville later offered him a scholarship and then Shula offered later. But the young man told Shula that he had given his word and would be attending AU. Or at least that is what I have either heard or read somewhere. I am sure there will be a Bama fan to refute it.

Kickers are holding press conferences? What is the world coming to?

What they need to do is go over to the rugby pitch on West Thatch and see what's over there - when I played, we had a couple of guys who were invited to walk-on (albeit by Tot's regime) on the defense. I am sure there are a few guys there who might have a chance to kick a football without it going out-of-bounds.

Of course, we also used Natural Light instead of Gatorade - so our performance may have been "enhanced" a bit....

Archived