Johnathon Palmer

AUbirdie

i just read on autigers that jonathon palmer, who has never been a full time starter at auburn, is considering going pro this year. this has got to be the most ridiculous thing i have heard since junior rosegreen announced that he wouldnt go pro after his junior year. i think these kids just do this crap for publicity.

I read that as well and his Dad is encouraging him to stay.

He will benefit in another year as a starter and another year in the weight room.

But it is his decision, I hope he makes the right one for him.

He would have to be an IDIOT to leave. If he is seriously considering this I don't know how he finds his way around campus because he obviously has no common sense!

Guest Tigrinum Major
He would have to be an IDIOT to leave.  If he is seriously considering this I don't know how he finds his way around campus because he obviously has no common sense!

210067[/snapback]

You cannot fault a kid for checking out his options. Careful making such comments about a 20-21 year old kid. How many of us had our heads screwed on right at that point and we didn't have an agent and others telling us that we should go pro and grab the money?

Do I think it would be wise in his case? No. He is obviously talented, but he is a project at the pro level right now. He needs to play one position and play it with excellence during his senior year.

Just a reminder, folks, you never know who might be reading these forums. Calling kids names because they might be considering a less than prudent move can cause more harm than good. Disagree all you want, but let's keep the more bombastic comments to a minimum.

One thing I can't help but read into these situations is the possibility of having trouble keeping up with the studies. I'm not assuming that JP is not doing well and he may in fact, be Magna Cone Loud or something like that.

But many times you come to find that there's no reason for some of these athletes to stay anyway because they may not be eligible if they do. What was the old joke about the similarity between Brent Fullwood and Bobby Humphrey?

Neither of them went to school at Auburn. :D

Hopefully, this is just JP getting some bad advice and he should now listen to ME. I am fantastic at evaluating talent and I think he should stay another year. I was on the horn with Mel Kiper just this morning. :big:

Jonathan Palmer, a redshirt junior on the 2005 Auburn football team, is taking a look at entering the 2006 NFL draft. He got an evaluation from the NFL that he could go anywhere from the first round to the fourth round.”

Just a reminder, folks, you never know who might be reading these forums. Calling kids names because they might be considering a less than prudent move can cause more harm than good. Disagree all you want, but let's keep the more bombastic comments to a minimum.

Sorry, I just think it would be one of the worst decisions ever if he went pro! I'm not trying to criticize him for exploring his options(though it may have come off that way) but I just wonder if he honestly believes he is ready for the NFL?

riiiiiiiiiiight <_<

210133[/snapback]

His draft evaluation projects him somewhere between the 1st and 4th round. His father wants him to return his enior year.

I hope he is only doing this to see what comes back instead of seriously considering the leap this year. He certainly would benefit from a year as a starter in the SEC, if only from the experience he would get playing against NFL caliber players.

Do any of you remember about 15 or 20 years ago, we had a player named Robert Goff who was never a starter at AU, played DT I believe, but played several years in the NFL anyway.

And Stanley is as high as the 6th... I realize we got depth at the OL position and JP did an awesome job filling in at center... but I'm sorry I just don't believe it.

Based on the NFL evaluation, Jonathan seems to have better reasons to go than Stanley. That said, I hope he stays and delivers a few dozen more pancakes.

Kevin Greene's career at Auburn was largely unremarkable; then he turned up as the Sackmeister in the NFL. He did stay for his senior year, though.

Why so critical?

It seems that he rated pretty good and no matter what you get payed well in the NFL.

If during your junior year someone said you could be making 6 digits in a job that you would enjoy but had to leave college, what would you choose?

Why so critical?

It seems that he rated pretty good and no matter what you get payed well in the NFL.

If during your junior year someone said you could be making 6 digits in a job that you would enjoy but had to leave college, what would you choose?

210171[/snapback]

it depends on how long i thought i could keep the job. ask robert johnson what he would do if he had it over again.

His draft evaluation projects him somewhere between the 1st and 4th round.

210152[/snapback]

Thats pretty vague if you ask me. Especially with a career decision like this...

I certainly hope this is just a case of someone wanting to get input on what areas that he needs to improve on and not a serious case of wanting to actually leave. I think that it is only in a rare case that someone is ready physically and mentally to take the leap early.

My suggestion to Mr. Palmer would be to stay and beat out someone for a starting position here before he starts thinking about the NFL. That is a harsh statement, I know, but if he is thinking about the NFL, he is a big boy now.

You just brought up a good point and I apologize in advance if it was mentioned earlier. The fact that he didn't start on the OL this year until pressed into duty the last 2 games but is projected by at least the 4th round as a Junior says a world about Hugh Nall IMO. Whatever you decide, good luck Jonathan, but we the fans would love to see you stay and get a chance to be a part of something special this year.

How in the world did JP get such a good evaluation? This guy hasn't even played enough for scouts to know much about him. I sure they've checked his verticle, 40 time, and so on but 1st - 4th round. I'm not a rich man but I would be willing to bet everything JP would never go in the 1st round. I'm not knocking the guy. I think it's possible for him to have a good year in '06 and boost his stock.

How in the world did JP get such a good evaluation?  This guy hasn't even played enough for scouts to know much about him.  I sure they've checked his verticle, 40 time, and so on but 1st - 4th round.  I'm not a rich man but I would be willing to bet everything JP would never go in the 1st round. I'm not knocking the guy.  I think it's possible for him to have a good year in '06 and boost his stock.

210354[/snapback]

They say he got a good evaluation because of his ability to play every position on the O-line, not just one.....and his athletic capability.

Archived