The Letter

zeebish

I was reading about our brilliant new defensive coordinator and I saw this blurb:

"Muschamp, who went to Georgia as a walk-on and became a four-year letterman as a defensive back from 1991-94, is from Rome."

Huntsville Times article about Muschamp

I started thinking about something I have always been curious about. What does it take to get a "letter" in football?

I checked Wikipedia and found this definition:

Wikipedia

"A letterman, in U.S. sports, is a high school or college athlete who has met a specified level of participation on a varsity athletic team.

The term comes from the practice of awarding each such participant a cloth "letter", which is usually the school's initial or initials, for placement on a "letter sweater" or "letter jacket" intended for the display of such an award. In some instances, the sweater or jacket itself may also be awarded, especially for the initial award to a given individual.

In order to distinguish "lettermen" from other team participants, schools often establish a minimum level of participation in a team's matches in order for a letter to be awarded. A common threshold in football and basketball is participation in a set level, often half, of all quarters in a season. (To meet this standard in a ten game season, one would have to have participated in at least twenty of the forty quarters played.) In individual sports such as tennis and golf, the threshold for lettering is generally participation in one half or sometimes one third of all matches contested. Frequently, other members of the team who fail to meet requirements for a letter are awarded a certificate of participation or other award considered to be of lesser value than a letter."

Interesting! So, does anyone know what it takes to get one at AU?

zeebish

:au:

I was reading about our brilliant new defensive coordinator and I saw this blurb:

"Muschamp, who went to Georgia as a walk-on and became a four-year letterman as a defensive back from 1991-94, is from Rome."

Huntsville Times article about Muschamp

I started thinking about something I have always been curious about. What does it take to get a "letter" in football?

I checked Wikipedia and found this definition:

Wikipedia

"A letterman, in U.S. sports, is a high school or college athlete who has met a specified level of participation on a varsity athletic team.

The term comes from the practice of awarding each such participant a cloth "letter", which is usually the school's initial or initials, for placement on a "letter sweater" or "letter jacket" intended for the display of such an award. In some instances, the sweater or jacket itself may also be awarded, especially for the initial award to a given individual.

In order to distinguish "lettermen" from other team participants, schools often establish a minimum level of participation in a team's matches in order for a letter to be awarded. A common threshold in football and basketball is participation in a set level, often half, of all quarters in a season. (To meet this standard in a ten game season, one would have to have participated in at least twenty of the forty quarters played.) In individual sports such as tennis and golf, the threshold for lettering is generally participation in one half or sometimes one third of all matches contested. Frequently, other members of the team who fail to meet requirements for a letter are awarded a certificate of participation or other award considered to be of lesser value than a letter."

Interesting! So, does anyone know what it takes to get one at AU?

zeebish

:au:

218968[/snapback]

In highschool it was given depending on the # of plays (all kicking: kickoffs, kickoff returns, etc counted as a play) you were involved in. At Huntsville high, if you had 50 plays or more in a season...you were given a letter.

I'm not sure if Auburn gives it based off plays or quarters.

I’m not sure what the requirements are to letter in football for Auburn today. I think back in the early 90’s you were considered a letterman if you got into any game. It was my understanding that if you played one play all year you were given a letter.

I’m not sure what the requirements are to letter in football for Auburn today.  I think back in the early 90’s you were considered a letterman if you got into any game.  It was my understanding that if you played one play all year you were given a letter.

218983[/snapback]

I am not doubting you are correct, but if that is the case, then a kid could redshirt and still get a letter. It just does not seem it should be that way, does it?

Based on my experiences from working with the football team for 4 years, if you played in the games or competed, then you would recieve an award at the end of the season. The Letterman jacket is the first award given at Auburn.

If an individual was redshirted for that season, they could not recieve a letter for that year. The first year that they actually played or competed would be there letter year, even if it was their second or third year playing on the team.

Archived