Are the walls of Troy crumbling?

quietfan

First Reggie Bush's parents' suspicious real estate deal...

Then Sanchez suspended while dealing with sexual assualt charges...

Now another sweetheart real estate deal:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2428059

In the past week, questions have been raised ... about whether an upscale apartment that wide receiver Dwayne Jarrett shared with former teammate Matt Leinart violated NCAA rules.

Leinart's father, Bob, put the duo on the lease at the secured apartment complex downtown after Leinart moved out of his former residence near campus because he was constantly hounded by fans.

Leinart -- the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback picked 10th by the Arizona Cardinals in Saturday's NFL draft -- and Jarrett each paid $650 a month for the apartment that cost $3,866 a month, according to the Times. Leinart's father paid the difference and said he's been told Jarrett might have to repay him about $10,000, the newspaper reported.

University compliance officials are looking into whether the football program received an unfair advantage. While Bob Leinart would have been allowed to make up the difference for his son, he might not have been allowed to do so for another player.

Actually Southlink, It's not. When i first heard about this whole Bush ordeal, I barely payed attention to it, but with the recent developments.......Lets just say Bush, the last two seasons, and USC are in a lot of trouble.

This will explain it all:

Lawyer: Bush's parents received $100K

Posted: April 29, 2006

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- The parents of Southern California football star Reggie Bush received $100,000 in cash from investors in a sports marketing company that hoped to sign the running back, an attorney for the investors said in a letter obtained by The San Diego Union-Tribune.

Meanwhile, the Los Angeles Times reported that when Bush signed with an agent who was not connected with the marketing company Bush's family was asked to return the money, and Bush himself sat in on a tense settlement meeting between his parents and company officials.

Attorney Brian Watkins told the Union-Tribune on Friday that Bush's parents, LaMar and Denise Griffin, asked for the money partly to resolve financial problems. Watkins said the money included an initial payment of about $30,000 to help start up the New Era Sports and Entertainment agency.

Watkins said the money was disbursed throughout 2005 and was given on more than one occasion at the home of Lloyd Lake, an investor in the company and a documented gang member. Watkins described him as a longtime friend of the Heisman Trophy winner.

Watkins described the $100,000 in disbursements in a letter dated Feb. 13 in which he asked David Cornwell, the Bush family's attorney, if USC should be included in settlement discussions.

"We would not object to their (USC's) participation as we understand their wanting to be involved due to the fact this matter was ongoing during their championship season of 2004 as well as the entire season of 2005, and any lawsuit filed might have an adverse effect on them," Watkins' letter said.

USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said he was unaware of the letter and declined comment.

The content of the letter was reported hours after the Houston Texans, who have first overall selection in Saturday's draft, passed on Bush and signed North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams. Bush was selected second overall Saturday by the New Orleans Saints.

Watkins said earlier this week that Bush's parents didn't pay $54,000 in rent during the year they lived in a house owned by a sports marketing agency investor who wanted to represent the football star.

The money dispute began after Bush signed with another agent and marketing representative, ending any chance of a deal with New Era.

Watkins told the Times that Bush personally tried to resolve the dispute, sending New Era an e-mail that said no one was trying to cheat them, then attending a settlement meeting several weeks ago that included his parents, Watkins and New Era representatives. Watkins said New Era representatives were searched for recording devices when they entered the meeting room.

Bush's mother and stepfather had agreed to pay landlord Michael Michaels $4,500 in monthly rent when they moved into the Spring Valley house Michaels bought for $757,000 in March 2005. Michaels said the Griffins told him they eventually would pay him rent from Bush's earnings when he went pro.

Also Friday, agent David Caravantes, who is under investigation by the NFL Players Association for his role in the housing arrangement, said he has had nothing to do with the former USC star.

Caravantes told The Associated Press he is unaware of the investigation, adding: "I have had no involvement with Reggie Bush. The truth will come out."

Gene Upshaw, executive director of the NFLPA, confirmed Friday that the probe of Caravantes has begun.

Watkins, who represents Lake and Michaels, said Bush's family defrauded his clients of $300,000 over 11/2 years using "the carrot" of Bush's future football career as an enticement.

Bush, who signed with agent Joel Segal, said he believes the matter will be cleared up in a few weeks.

"I've got to get back to football," he said. "My life is parallel to a horse race. They have blinders on to keep them from being distracted in the race and keep them focused on winning the race. That's kind of like my life. Focus on the goal, not the things coming at me from the side."

Watkins sent the player's parents an eviction notice on April 3 and they moved out of the house last week. Bush has said his parents left because they found another place to live.

Watkins said he plans to file a fraud lawsuit against Bush's parents and possibly Bush.

Cornwell, the Bush family attorney, did not return phone calls to The Associated Press, but in an interview with the Times he accused New Era of trying to extort millions from Bush.

"We identified their scheme months ago and collected written evidence over the course of the months," Cornwell said. "And we provided that evidence to the NFL Players Association and NFL security."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said in a statement Friday, "Based on the information presented by Reggie Bush's attorney, our office has advised the attorney to consider referring these matters to law enforcement authorities."

The NCAA is investigating whether the living arrangement violated rules prohibiting student-athletes and their families from receiving extra benefits from agents or their representatives.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

SN

"We needed to see this coming, and we didn't," Pete Carroll was quoted saying in a column about the recent spate of trouble facing some of the team's current and former players. "It's gone beyond all the heads up, all the alerts, all the education we give these kids. We need to do more."

Can you say "lack of institutional control"

I doubt the NCAA can. They won't do anything that might take away any of Pete's shine. My bet is that all this will be swept away.

I think that this is maybe stretching it for something.

233245[/snapback]

Actually, if Leinhart & Jarrett's help from Leinhart's dad were the only thing, I wouldn't think it much of a big deal either--a dad helps his son find a place to live and the son invites his friend to room with him. It may be a technical violation, but I don't think it was motivated by an intent to cheat.

But it draws even more attention to the other things at USC. For an analogy, I'd say Reggie Bush's parents' issues are like the Albert Means' affair, while Jarrett's rent is like some of the other other infractions that Bama was found guilty of during their problems. It all adds up to force the NCAA to take a serious look at the Trojans.

If Bush's parents really took $100,000 from sports marketers while he was still playing, as reported in AWK's link, then that is certainly a major infraction, IMO!

"We needed to see this coming, and we didn't," Pete Carroll was quoted saying in a column about the recent spate of trouble facing some of the team's current and former players. "It's gone beyond all the heads up, all the alerts, all the education we give these kids. We need to do more."

Can you say "lack of institutional control" 

I doubt the NCAA can.  They won't do anything that might take away any of Pete's shine.  My bet is that all this will be swept away.

233250[/snapback]

Unless some substantial evidence gets to the media the worst espn and the ncaa's golden child will recieve is a slap on the wrist.

I think that this is maybe stretching it for something.

233245[/snapback]

Yea, for sure. I think everyone is looking into USC a little to hard now.

I bleed orange and blue, BUT If the NCAA lets this mess slide after what they did to UAT, than that is a bunch of crap....

per Everydayshouldbesaturday.com the name of the apartment complex was "Medici" which apparently was a grand dynasty that was powerful until poor leadership destroyed them. Don't you just love irony?

I bleed orange and blue, BUT If the NCAA lets this mess slide after what they did to UAT, than that is a bunch of crap....

233273[/snapback]

I am with AWK on this one. I think if they are not treated the same as bama or even us in the early 90s, or as others then something is very wrong. It is obovious to me there are some things askew going on at usc. Pete's coments read like, oops we let this get out of control. How does a college student afford $650 rent per month on their on when they are playing football?? Unless mommy and daddy are pitching in? I don't know it all is on the fishy side if you ask me.

233273[/snapback]

Awk I agree if they dont get put on probation that will be bs!

Call me stupid, but I just don't see how Leinart's FATHER paying the tab on an apartment is in violation of an NCAA policy. It wasn't a gift because either Leinart or Jarrett were players, it was a Father helping a son and his friend out. If it were a random booster or just the owner of the complex saying "live here, pay later" I would agree with coming down on them. What Father that has the means to pay for something like that wouldn't do so if their son had the level of notoriety that Leinart had? I see the fault in the Reggie Bush situation, but this is just digging for more. The "dynasty" has crumbled. Let it be

Guest Tigrinum Major
Call me stupid, but I just don't see how Leinart's FATHER paying the tab on an apartment is in violation of an NCAA policy.  It wasn't a gift because either Leinart or Jarrett were players, it was a Father helping a son and his friend out.

233380[/snapback]

As a parent of a student athlete, Mr. Leinart is loosely defined as a booster. Him paying for his son is fine, but not for another student athlete. Jarrett is on the hook for about 10 grand.

Ticky-tack, but still the rules.

And I would never call you stupid.

Goose-Gander...

If Langham can cost bama the 1993 season or almost all of it, then Bush should cost USC EVERY game he played in.

Fair is Fair.

I for one do not see USC getting anything but their salad tossed by the MSM-ESPN, SI, etc. They are USC and they are the very definition of class to the hacks in sports media. I truly see nothing happening to USC, Bush, or Carroll.

Call me stupid, but I just don't see how Leinart's FATHER paying the tab on an apartment is in violation of an NCAA policy.  It wasn't a gift because either Leinart or Jarrett were players, it was a Father helping a son and his friend out.

233380[/snapback]

As a parent of a student athlete, Mr. Leinart is loosely defined as a booster. Him paying for his son is fine, but not for another student athlete. Jarrett is on the hook for about 10 grand.

Ticky-tack, but still the rules.

And I would never call you stupid.

233387[/snapback]

I agree with the Crimson Tusks Member of the Month. (Never thought I'd ever be saying that !! :blink: )

Indeed awkward, since what father doesn't want to help his son and his son's friends? Still, technically a problem.

Think of it this way--if Mr Leinhart can do this, what prevents a wealthier father from giving everyone on the team $10,000 to "help out his son's friends"? What prevents it from becoming a "tradition" that every recruit who signs on while Mr. X's son is on the team becomes the son's "instant" friend for $10 grand? And what if Mr. X's has enough talented children to run 10-12 years of this sort of "help" for his children's teammates/"friends"?

Call me stupid, but I just don't see how Leinart's FATHER paying the tab on an apartment is in violation of an NCAA policy.  It wasn't a gift because either Leinart or Jarrett were players, it was a Father helping a son and his friend out.  If it were a random booster or just the owner of the complex saying "live here, pay later" I would agree with coming down on them.  What Father that has the means to pay for something like that wouldn't do so if their son had the level of notoriety that Leinart had?  I see the fault in the Reggie Bush situation, but this is just digging for more.  The "dynasty" has crumbled.  Let it be

233380[/snapback]

Agree AND he was paying $650 which more per month then I ever paid but then again I wasnt in his type of place.

I think they are stretching

Archived