FSU sacks two players

DKW 86

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/14891332.htm

Seminoles part with Ford, O'NealBY IRA SCHOFFEL

Miami Herald Writer

TALLAHASSEE - Florida State cut ties Friday with football players Trevor Ford and Kenny O'Neal, another blow to what was considered a promising 2004 recruiting class.

O'Neal, a wide receiver and track star from California, was dismissed by FSU coach Bobby Bowden for ''conduct detrimental to the team.'' Bowden declined to give a specific reason for the dismissal.

Ford, a highly regarded cornerback from Miami Northwestern High School, announced he plans to transfer to another school ''for personal reasons.'' Ford's destination has not been determined, but FSU officials said he is not expected to attend an in-state school.

Neither player was projected as a starter for this fall, but they were key members of the Seminoles' 2004 signing class, which was ranked No. 3 nationally by some. Of the 27 recruits that signed with Florida State that year, nine are no longer with the program: Three were lost because of grades, three have been dismissed for breaking team rules, two transferred and one did not qualify academically.

Well, I know where Trevor's going..........'bammer, Duh. :lol: Coach sheila knows how to bring in those Great Attitude Players, kinda like the one in Fred Rouse that they were going after Heavily.........Yea, that there boys is a winnin' program.

FSU won the ACC so I give them credit but they are heading downhill as to what they used to be in the 90's and early 2000's

243078[/snapback]

I give them very little credit for "winning the ACC"--or rather getting lucky in the ACC championship game. They finished the regular season 7-4, for gosh sake, and 8-5 for the year! <_< . At least three ACC teams had equal or better regular seasons: GA Tech (also 7-4), Miami (9-2, albeit losing to FSU), and Virginia Tech (9-2, but yes, lost to FSU in the ACC-CG).

In the SEC, there at least 4 teams with better regular season records and more deserving of a BCS bid, IMO: Bama (9-2), Auburn (9-2), Florida (8-3), and LSU (10-1). Heck, even Steve Spurrier's Gamecocks matched FSU's regular season 7-4 record.

This is why I hate automatic BCS bids to conference championship game winners. If the BCS evolves into a legit playoff system (as most of us hope), does anyone really think a 7-4 regular season team deserved a playoff bid over an 8-3, 9-2, or 10-1 team? Yes, FSU beat Va. Tech in one (ACCCG) game. But in an 8-game national championship playoff (based on 8 BCS bids last year), does anyone really think the 'Noles had a better claim to one of those 8 slots than LSU, Bama, Auburn, Florida, Miami, or Va Tech?

Archived