Every SEC Coach on Hot Seat

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ds...6570.xml&coll=2

In SEC, every football coach feels the heat

Friday, July 07, 2006

Every SEC football coach is returning for 2006. But in this league, with million-dollar paydays and impossible expectations, no one is ever safe.

Here's a look at the pecking order going into the season, from most secure to most in need of an updated resume:

1. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina - Surprised everyone with seven wins and a bowl game in 2005. Give him two years and South Carolina may be as good as Clemson.

Job security: Ballcoach for life.

2. Mark Richt, Georgia - The Bulldogs have played in four straight Jan. 1 bowl games and are reigning SEC champs. Richt changes quarterbacks seamlessly, a tribute to his offensive genius. Another tribute: see Florida State's struggles since he left.

Job security: Could run for governor.

3. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn - Bama fans may fear the thumb but Auburn fans better fear another bad season out in College Station from Coach You Know Who.

Job security: Could run for Lt. Governor. Could run straight to Texas A&M.

4. Les Miles, LSU - Did a remarkable coaching job post-Katrina and also managed to shed the yuppie earpiece for old-school headphones. (Seriously, made a big difference in terms of image).

Job security: Excellent. But things can change fast on the bayou.

5. Urban Meyer, Florida - Beating Florida State and Georgia in the same season buys time. So, too, does signing a made-for-the-spread attack quarterback like Tim Tebow. A running game would help and revenge on Alabama would be sweet.

Job security: Good, but remember Billy Donovan raised the bar.

6. Mike Shula, Alabama - Eliminated most of his detractors last season, but still needs to be more public with discipline to sway the remaining naysayers. Another loss to Auburn will make the Iron Bowl a must win - in 2007.

Job security: Could run for mayor, but fans have higher aspirations.

7. Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt - The Commodores enjoyed a once-a-decade flirtation with a winning record last season thanks to a once-in-a-generation quarterback. Now it's back to the usual drudgery.

Job security: Lukewarm. Good thing Titans are in town.

8. (tie) Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State and Ed Orgeron, Ole Miss - Both talk the talk, earning style points. Both have intelligent fan bases that understand talent shortcomings.

Job security: Could run for dogcatcher.

10. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee - When last we left, the next shoe was about to drop on Rocky Top. Instead, Fulmer rallied terrifically during the offseason, rehiring David Cutcliffe and eliminating the America's Most Wanted appearances by his players.

Job security: Shaken, but not stirred.

11. Houston Nutt, Arkansas - Bought himself time by signing QB Mitch Mustain. Can buy more time by starting Mustain.

Job security: He remains a state favorite son, but he'd better start winning again or become a former son.

12. Rich Brooks, Kentucky - Owes Tommy Tuberville half his salary because Kentucky's respectable showing in a 49-27 shootout with Auburn took him off the chopping block. Consider it a temporary reprieve.

Job security: Not even a Final Four appearance by Tubby Smith can save him.

Auburn fans better fear another bad season out in College Station from Coach You Know Who.

I really just don't see CTT with this staff and with the level this team is at. Going to lowly Texas A&M to start anew. What would even be the point your at best 3nd in recruiting in your own state 4th if you take into account OU makes out like bandits in TX, and miles behind most of the big 12.

a&m is a HUGE step down from auburn right now. Who is this Doug Segrest clown anyway, wait he writes for the bammerham news, nevermind.

This crap of TT to Texas A&M was started by Finebaum, so we all know how solid that is. Why would TT leave Auburn and go to TAMU now that Fran has driven that program into the ground? I know there is a good friendship b/t Tommy and RC Slocum, but Tuberville was only at College Station for one year.

Segrest used to write for the Decatur Daily a few years ago. I think he was an idiot back then too. CTT is an :au: man and i think he will be as long as he wants to be, as long as the BOTs don' screw it up. The Big 12 can't even compete with the SEC and like somebody said, A&M is a step down. Why go somewhere that u will have to start over when you are on the verge of having built a consistent national powerhouse?

Doug Secrest: Also on a sports show in Bham on ABC 33/40 on Sunday Nights. Doesn't know what hes talking about half the time and from my point of view, acts like any other bammer. I don't like him.

This crap of TT to Texas A&M was started by Finebaum, so we all know how solid that is. Why would TT leave Auburn and go to TAMU now that Fran has driven that program into the ground? I know there is a good friendship b/t Tommy and RC Slocum, but Tuberville was only at College Station for one year.

245831[/snapback]

Is this the ONLY connection CTT has with A&M? Does he have family or other history nearby?

Another thing is, A&M is stuck in the wrong half of the Big 12. In the Big 12 North they could probably be quite competitive with Colorado and Nebraska these days. But instead they're stuck in the South with Texas, Oklahoma, and Texas Tech to compete with.

This guy is an obvious idiot...living here in the Houston area for the past 25 years with a good number of "Aggie" friends...there is no way in holy hell that CTT would leave AU for that! This dude must not be able to think of an article every week to earn his pay so he regurgitates finescum crap and claims it as original thought. Geez.

http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/ds...6570.xml&coll=2
In SEC, every football coach feels the heat

Friday, July 07, 2006

Every SEC football coach is returning for 2006. But in this league, with million-dollar paydays and impossible expectations, no one is ever safe.

Here's a look at the pecking order going into the season, from most secure to most in need of an updated resume:

1. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina - Surprised everyone with seven wins and a bowl game in 2005. Give him two years and South Carolina may be as good as Clemson.

Job security: Ballcoach for life.

2. Mark Richt, Georgia - The Bulldogs have played in four straight Jan. 1 bowl games and are reigning SEC champs. Richt changes quarterbacks seamlessly, a tribute to his offensive genius. Another tribute: see Florida State's struggles since he left.

Job security: Could run for governor.

3. Tommy Tuberville, Auburn - Bama fans may fear the thumb but Auburn fans better fear another bad season out in College Station from Coach You Know Who.

Job security: Could run for Lt. Governor. Could run straight to Texas A&M.

4. Les Miles, LSU - Did a remarkable coaching job post-Katrina and also managed to shed the yuppie earpiece for old-school headphones. (Seriously, made a big difference in terms of image).

Job security: Excellent. But things can change fast on the bayou.

5. Urban Meyer, Florida - Beating Florida State and Georgia in the same season buys time. So, too, does signing a made-for-the-spread attack quarterback like Tim Tebow. A running game would help and revenge on Alabama would be sweet.

Job security: Good, but remember Billy Donovan raised the bar.

6. Mike Shula, Alabama - Eliminated most of his detractors last season, but still needs to be more public with discipline to sway the remaining naysayers. Another loss to Auburn will make the Iron Bowl a must win - in 2007.

Job security: Could run for mayor, but fans have higher aspirations.

7. Bobby Johnson, Vanderbilt - The Commodores enjoyed a once-a-decade flirtation with a winning record last season thanks to a once-in-a-generation quarterback. Now it's back to the usual drudgery.

Job security: Lukewarm. Good thing Titans are in town.

8. (tie) Sylvester Croom, Mississippi State and Ed Orgeron, Ole Miss - Both talk the talk, earning style points. Both have intelligent fan bases that understand talent shortcomings.

Job security: Could run for dogcatcher.

10. Phillip Fulmer, Tennessee - When last we left, the next shoe was about to drop on Rocky Top. Instead, Fulmer rallied terrifically during the offseason, rehiring David Cutcliffe and eliminating the America's Most Wanted appearances by his players.

Job security: Shaken, but not stirred.

11. Houston Nutt, Arkansas - Bought himself time by signing QB Mitch Mustain. Can buy more time by starting Mustain.

Job security: He remains a state favorite son, but he'd better start winning again or become a former son.

12. Rich Brooks, Kentucky - Owes Tommy Tuberville half his salary because Kentucky's respectable showing in a 49-27 shootout with Auburn took him off the chopping block. Consider it a temporary reprieve.

Job security: Not even a Final Four appearance by Tubby Smith can save him.

245792[/snapback]

The Uncle Fester looking Finebaum Tool on ABC 33/40 has a show on Sunday nights called "The Zone." He hosts it with Ray Melick and Segrest. During Football season it is a pretty good show. Other than that it pretty much sucks in stereo.

Tonight they spoke about this column and Tubbs to A&M. All three think that A&M can and possibly will get Tubbs to College Station if they want. It sounded almost like a Finebaum show with a hint of jabs at Auburn and their loyalty to Tubbs and he to Auburn.

Uncle Fester, also known in Birmingham as ABC 33/40 Sports Director Mike Raita, said about the above list that the top four should be Spurrier, Richt, Miles and Meyer and they are tied as far as security. He said the bottom four should be 9) Tubbs, 10) Fulmer, 11) Nutt, 12) Brooks and "you could possibly throw Shula in" there with them. Raita is heard from time to time on Finebaum's show.

Here is my feeling about all this...it is the off season and there is nothing to really report for a few more weeks until players report for practice. This gets people to write in and call the radio shows to complain. They mentioned a few times the people taking Melick to task for a column, ribbed Segrest for a writer to sound off and how somethings he said on the show would get more writers. This is a ratings trick. As long as Melick and Segrest get mail, they can show they have readers. If people call in Finebaum, or write in to The Bamaham News, or email ABC 33/40 Raita can say he has viewers. BTW, ABC is 3rd in the B'ham market behind Fox 6 and NBC 13. I don't know if I have to tell most of you that newspapers are a dying medium thanks to electronic news forms. Melick wrote for the Post Herald until it closed up shop several months ago and now writes for the "News."

When it comes to Tuberville leaving for other schools I will fear it when one.. the administration rubs him wrong again, two... if the school being mentioned is Miami.

Personally I don't see him leaving Auburn, and if he was going to do it I think he would have done it after 03 when he could have taken the 7 million dollars and stepped right into the North Carolina job.

I also don't think he'd take the staff if it did happen, Borges very well could be up for the AU head job if Tuberville left and I don't think Muschamp would have signed on just to move again in a year.

Sounds like the LSwho possibility of a year or so ago. Not that worried about TT. Like everyone else said, A&M is a pretty big step down from Auburn. TT has got the program in the national spotlight. We're nationally known, and we have been for the last 4 or 5 years. Even with the disaster that was 2003, everyone with even a passing knowledge of college football knew who Auburn was. Auburn gets great national publicity, and Tuberville is the architect of that.

Excellent recruits, great esteem, superb record, above average coaching staff. Tuberville has just about got it all at Auburn. He's been turning Auburn into a possible future dynasty for years now and his hard work is paying off. Why leave Auburn now and try to repeat what he did here at A&M? The only incentives I would see are, a bigger paycheck, which, after this upcoming season of national success, Auburn will surely give him a raise, or he has some special place in his heart for College Station. The latter, I am not aware of at all and would not think to be strong enough if it existed.

Of course its off-season banter. How could you make A&M a national powerhouse? More importantly, how could you convince your staff to follow you to a place like that? Tuberville may make men loyal to him, but don't think anyone would be that stupid. I don't see TT leaving Auburn for a while.

WDE!

Ryan

It's almost worthless to respond to bammar-ham papers or radio jerks.

FWIW, just a thought........

In 2-3 years CTT will move up to the AD position and CAB will be the next head coach.

Wonder what kind of discussion this will bring????

Richt to FSU and Tubs to A&M are "cool" media stories.

Unfort, the facts don't fit for either going to those schools.

Richt has zero interest in heading to FSU when he played for Miami and was only their OC.

Tubs has zero interest heading to A&M to start anew while he has built AU into SEC Champions.

It's media stupidity at its best.

Guest Tigrinum Major
Uncle Fester, also known in Birmingham as ABC 33/40 Sports Director Mike Raita,

246220[/snapback]

Raita is a worthless human being. Once when he was out doing his Friday night high school show, he was in Locust Fork for a game. They retire the US flag there at teh end of the third qurter and play retreat while doing so. While they are in the middle of this, he and his cameraman walk across the field, which I found direspectful. I wrote him an email the next week and told him I found his actions unprofessional and disrespectful. He shot one back spouting off about how could I question his patriotism and how his father was a WWII vet who fought in the Battle of the Bulge and how he was almost selected for the CIA (what a joke.) I sent him one back telling him basically that his actions spoke louder than his words. I never heard back from him.

I washed my hands of that rube that day.

Archived