Pitts to Transfer?

Caveman

The Auburn rivals site has a premium article that seems to indicate this. The link is to the front page. The article is second down.

LINK

I wish him the best and hate that things didn't work out for him at :au:

I wonder how much mroe respect we would have gotten in 2004 if Irons hadn't of gotten hurt and we wouldn't had to start Pitts. I remember most of the big plays against us was he either blew the coverage, missed the tackle, or tripped(sugar bowl) no offence to him but if we would of had Irons that might have given us jsut enough to get to the Orange Bowl. but I do believe he has more experience then any other player mainly cuz he was picked on in the passing game that whole year.

"When Pitts allowed a meaningless touchdown late in the South Carolina game 05', Tuberville angrily addressed him on the sidelines. He spent most of the year as a special teams player and defensive reserve."

Let me refresh everybody’s memory, Auburn had South Carolina beat 48-0.

If Pitts was still in the ball game with the score 48-0, he obliviously wasn’t on the 1st,2nd, or maybe even 3rd team defense. I remember watching the game on ESPN and everybody on the team got in the game. They had guys with the same numbers playing and with no names on the back of their jerseys. The commentators on ESPN had no clue half the time who was in the game.

And if I was Coach Tuberville and I had a kid that gave up a defensive shut-out of a Steve Spurrier coached team, I would throw him off the team.

In 40 career games, Pitts tallied 106 career tackles including a career-high 46 in 2004.

July 20, 2006

Auburn, Ala. - Auburn senior defensive back Montavis Pitts has requested and received his release from Auburn University, head coach Tommy Tuberville announced Thursday.

The Loachapoka, Ala., native played in 40 career games. Pitts tallied 106 career tackles including a career-high 46 in 2004. The 6-1, 195-pounder had one career interception, which came against Georgia Tech in 2005.

"Montavis has decided it would be best to transfer and get a new start his senior year," head coach Tommy Tuberville said. "He has been a key contributor to our program and played an important role as a starter during our perfect season in 2004. We thank him for his contributions to Auburn's football program and wish him the best."

Pitts, who was a 12-game starter in 2004, was sixth on the squad in tackles last season with 43 stops.

"I made a mistake and have decided that I need to get a fresh start and begin somewhere else," Pitts said. "I've enjoyed my career at Auburn and apologize to my teammates, coaches and the Auburn fans for the mistake I've made, but this is a decision that is in my best interest for my football career, both now and the future."

Auburn football players will report on August 1 before starting two-a-days on August 2.

Archived