NYT article about the Iron Bowl

WAR-MATT

A play off the NYT article from ITAT. Funny stuff here. :roflol:

VICTORY WITH NO EFFORT FOR AUBURN PLAYERS

By PETE THAMEL

New York Times News Service

A graphic popped up on Gene Stallings' TV during the Iron Bowl in the fall of 2005, and he could not believe his eyes. One of the nation's prominent football teams was being honored for beating its rival for the fourth year in a row. Stallings, the ex-coach of the Alabama football team, had never beat his rival four times in a row. He asked two other Bama ex-coaches, and they could not recall beating Auburn four in a row either.

Fifteen members on the 2005 Auburn football team, never lost to the Crimson Tide during their careers. One of those players, Stanley McClover, had 3.5 sacks vs. Bama, but averaged less than a sack a game vs. other opponents. At one point, McClover was sacking at the rate of three and half defensive ends, a rate that his colleagues said no one could legitimately handle. "It was a lot of sacks," McClover said. "And I basically wore myself out." A number of Auburn athletes had sacks in the 2005 Iron Bowl: two athletes took two sacks, two athletes took 1.5 and two got one each. Auburn was averaging only 2.5 sacks per game going into the Iron Bowl.

The 15 football players won 100% of the Iron Bowls, but in all other games, their average was only 74%.

The journey of Auburn running back Kenny Irons illustrates how Auburn routinely defeats Alabama. When Irons arrived at Auburn in 2005 after transferring from South Carolina, he wanted to beat Alabama. Irons asked for advice from Williams, who claimed that the Iron Bowl was "easy if you practiced."

In the fall of 2003, Williams found himself in a competitive bind. More than two months into the season, he realized that Auburn had won only six games. Williams went to Coach Tuberville with a plea: "I need a victory, and I'll take any victory right now. I want to win this year's Iron Bowl game." He said Tuberville told him about a "one-play victory" that he would enjoy. So Auburn and Williams won the 2003 Iron Bowl after only one play and 15 seconds. Football games typically run 60 minutes.

As for Alabama, they have left Mike Shula in charge of the football team, something that stunned many around college football. "Things have reached a point where we're getting ready to produce more Bill Curry incidents," Stallings said. "It's embarrassing."

A play off the NYT article from ITAT. Funny stuff here. :roflol:

VICTORY WITH NO EFFORT FOR AUBURN PLAYERS

By PETE THAMEL

New York Times News Service

A graphic popped up on Gene Stallings' TV during the Iron Bowl in the fall of 2005, and he could not believe his eyes. One of the nation's prominent football teams was being honored for beating its rival for the fourth year in a row. Stallings, the ex-coach of the Alabama football team, had never beat his rival four times in a row. He asked two other Bama ex-coaches, and they could not recall beating Auburn four in a row either.

Fifteen members on the 2005 Auburn football team, never lost to the Crimson Tide during their careers. One of those players, Stanley McClover, had 3.5 sacks vs. Bama, but averaged less than a sack a game vs. other opponents. At one point, McClover was sacking at the rate of three and half defensive ends, a rate that his colleagues said no one could legitimately handle. "It was a lot of sacks," McClover said. "And I basically wore myself out." A number of Auburn athletes had sacks in the 2005 Iron Bowl: two athletes took two sacks, two athletes took 1.5 and two got one each. Auburn was averaging only 2.5 sacks per game going into the Iron Bowl.

The 15 football players won 100% of the Iron Bowls, but in all other games, their average was only 74%.

The journey of Auburn running back Kenny Irons illustrates how Auburn routinely defeats Alabama. When Irons arrived at Auburn in 2005 after transferring from South Carolina, he wanted to beat Alabama. Irons asked for advice from Williams, who claimed that the Iron Bowl was "easy if you practiced."

In the fall of 2003, Williams found himself in a competitive bind. More than two months into the season, he realized that Auburn had won only six games. Williams went to Coach Tuberville with a plea: "I need a victory, and I'll take any victory right now. I want to win this year's Iron Bowl game." He said Tuberville told him about a "one-play victory" that he would enjoy. So Auburn and Williams won the 2003 Iron Bowl after only one play and 15 seconds. Football games typically run 60 minutes.

As for Alabama, they have left Mike Shula in charge of the football team, something that stunned many around college football. "Things have reached a point where we're getting ready to produce more Bill Curry incidents," Stallings said. "It's embarrassing."

251837[/snapback]

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT WORK

Archived