Finebaum on Simpson

quietfan

Yeah, I know a lot of you hate Finebaum. If he causes you that much nausea then I suggest you move on to the next thread. But for those of you, like me, who still find him interesting on occasion, sometimes he hits a home run:

http://www.al.com/sports/mobileregister/pf....xml&coll=3

Simpson doesn't get just deserts

Saturday, August 12, 2006

...Instead of being kicked off the team permanently for a recent arrest, as former Alabama All-American Tommy Wilcox suggested, or suspended for several games, which seems to be the conventional wisdom of the state media, Simpson said this week he thinks he shouldn't punished at all.

"If it were me, I'd give myself an ice cream cone," Simpson told reporters in Tuscaloosa this week when asked what the punishment from coach Mike Shula should be.

No humble pie for Simpson. No crow to eat or apologies to hand out. When it comes to showing remorse and repentance, Simpson makes Mel Gibson look like a saint.

In the history of slapdash statements made by college seniors, if this wasn't the dumbest, most arrogant and offensive, I'm anxious to see what beats it out.

After a firestorm erupted on the blogosphere and talk radio, Simpson (obviously with a major shove from Alabama's media relations department) attempted to clean up the rat's nest, indicating he was just joking. Hee, hee, ho, ho.

Of course, we shouldn't be too hard on the 22-year-young man. He's the victim in all of this, after all.

Simpson said he heard the talk from fans and media alike about kicking him off the team following his May 20 arrest.

"I took that personally, you know," Simpson said. "I found out who my real friends were and who the really true fans were."

Well, excuse the world for having an opinion, Juwan. We're sorry you didn't get an apology from any Tide fans or media members who dared to discuss your case in any way other than a positive manner.

"I guess just the fact of being in the wrong place at the wrong time," Simpson said when asked what lesson he had learned.

Next thing you know, Juwan may offer his services to help O.J. Simpson find the real killer of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald Goldman.

Nowhere in this shockingly embarrassing display of superciliousness was there any apology to anyone for bringing a black eye to the university and its football program. In Simpson's world, it seems we owe him an apology.

And you know who may really be at fault here -- Mike Shula. Because of Shula's self-serving policy of keeping discipline in-house -- and apparently in this case for not having doled it out yet -- Simpson has been allowed to make the situation even worse.

Two weeks ago, Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville made the suspensions of linebackers Kevin Sears and Tray Blackmon very public and absolute.

How did they react?

Blackmon, who had been charged with public intoxication and underage drinking, and Sears, convicted of DUI, took it in stride.

"I've got to take what they give," Sears told reporters.

"I made a mistake," Blackmon said. "I've got to live up to it."

So which head coach do you think is getting through to his players the best? The one who apparently hasn't done anything yet or the one who has already publicly laid down the law?

Or perhaps, to answer that question, listen to a 22-year-old football player who apparently has all the answers when it comes to crime and punishment.

"I'd give myself a break," Simpson said.

"I feel like I've taken enough public criticism."

And don't forget to give him an ice cream cone for all of his pain and suffering. The whole situation is enough to make one wonder who really is in charge.

If you heard him slamming Shug this week...you wouldnt even consider his bama slams as good talking points.

What he says is true regardless of what he says about Shug or Dye or anyone else.

In one breath he glorifies Dye and what he meant to Auburn, in the next he crucifies him as a mumbling drunk. Which does he truly believe? Does it really matter? You have to wade through the hyperbole to find the truth.

In this case he's 100% correct in saying that Shula is completely clueless in how to handle the team. Simpson is a symptom of that. It's no secret that things are on the verge of being out of control there and that Shula doesn't have the stones to handle it. Most of my friends are Bama fans, BG. Some of them are deeply connected to the UA athletic program. 90% of them are very uneasy and extremely concerned with Shula's control of the team. They would rather him take the hit and get rid of somebody to make a statement than do absolutely nothing. If Simpson had clowned as he did and Bryant, Dye, Tuberville, Jordan, Stallings (well, nevermind him his record was spotty) or even DuBose were his coach, do you truly think his asinine comments would pass with no comment? Maybe you were appeased by his retroactive suspension of Wilson last season, but none of the people I know were and from what I'm told there was (and remains) a great deal of dissention on the staff as well as the administration over the "dress out and if we don't need to play you, you're suspended" faux punishment that was passed down. I hear a lot of other things too that have bama people extremely concerned -- Castille's poor work ethic and thuggish attitude infecting the team because nothing is done, coaches who attempt to instill discipline not being backed up and in fact being overturned are just two of them. It's pretty clear to most outside observers that Shula's lack of response in regard to Simpson is a symptom of a much larger problem, and one that could have long-lasting ramifications.

I've heard it said by someone in the bama athletic department that if Simpson starts against Hawaii, it sends the clear message that this coaching staff cares more about trying to win a game than they do about building a program over the long term. There are forests and there are trees. We all know where that kind of tree-based thinking leads.

As for Finebaum it's pretty obvious his primary agenda is to piss people off enough to listen and discuss, otherwise that assbarber Shane wouldn't be on there every day. Sometimes in the course of pissing people off, he hits on a truth.

Castille has already turned it around

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/huntsvil....xml&coll=1

I think Simpson's comments were out of frustration. He's tired of talking about it. He's already done interviews where he was apologetic and humbled. He, like everyone else, is ready for the season to start.

And for all the comments that suggest we are on the bring of losing control...its funny that if you look at Shula's term and CTT's in the same time span...there have been roughly the same amount of problems off the field (that have been reported).

In the past year we've had Juwan's thing, Simeon not making the grade, and JPW's DUI. While im not saying its ok to drink and drive, JPW blew the equivalent of about 3-4 beers. That doesnt indicate a guy whos out of control. Simeon has already righted himself and is a proven leader. I dont know what to think about Juwan's thing. I think he should be suspended, but Im not the coach. And I dont know what has already happened behind closed doors.

Its funny that in spite of our continued path of spiraling out of control...we seem to have fewer discipline issues than most programs in the SEC.

Shula has been here for going on 4 seasons...we've had 8 major problems:

JPW's DUI

Simeon's Grades

Hudson's weed thing

Brandon Avalos and his drug thing

Simpson's deal

And Britts crazy outburst on the strip

Curtis Dawson's partying

Earnest Nance's nightclub thing

Curtis, Nance and Brandon were excused from the team. Simpson has been here for 4 years and NEVER had a problem. Simeon one problem in 3 seasons. Hudson 1 problem in 5 seasons. Never did ANYTHING wrong after his run in. Britt didnt have another problem and graduated.

Yeah, we are out of control. UT has had, what 4 arrests since May? They had like 12 last year?

I think Simpson's comments were out of frustration. He's tired of talking about it. He's already done interviews where he was apologetic and humbled. He, like everyone else, is ready for the season to start.

And for all the comments that suggest we are on the bring of losing control...its funny that if you look at Shula's term and CTT's in the same time span...there have been roughly the same amount of problems off the field (that have been reported).

In the past year we've had Juwan's thing, Simeon not making the grade, and JPW's DUI. While im not saying its ok to drink and drive, JPW blew the equivalent of about 3-4 beers. That doesnt indicate a guy whos out of control. Simeon has already righted himself and is a proven leader. I dont know what to think about Juwan's thing. I think he should be suspended, but Im not the coach. And I dont know what has already happened behind closed doors.

Its funny that in spite of our continued path of spiraling out of control...we seem to have fewer discipline issues than most programs in the SEC.

Shula has been here for going on 4 seasons...we've had 7 major problems:

JPW's DUI

Simeon's Grades

Hudson's weed thing

Simpson's deal

Curtis Dawson's partying

Curtis and Brandon were excused from the team. Simpson has been here for 4 years and NEVER had a problem. Simeon one problem in 3 seasons. Hudson 1 problem in 5 seasons. Never did ANYTHING wrong after his run in. Britt didnt have another problem and graduated.

Yeah, we are out of control. UT has had, what 4 arrests since May? They had like 12 last year?

Not talking about arrests or that kind of thing. Just a team that isn't under control. I've been on and around teams where the monkeys ran the zoo and the coaches didn't have a firm grip on things. Doesn't mean the kids were out getting arrested or shooting up the town.

Your evaluation of the Castille thing completely contradicts what I was told just yesterday by someone inside the program. There are grave concerns about his attitude and its affect on the team. There were some pretty harsh words used to describe him and also in reference to Shula for allowing the situation to continue unabated.

Whatever Simpson's motivation for saying what he said, you left the question unanswered. Would Tuberville, Dye, Bryant, Spurrier or any GOOD coach have let it slide? Would any DISCIPLINED coach handle the situation the way Shula has?

Justin Britt graduated? He was the one who headbutted one cop into unconsciousness and kicked another to the ground. He's still on the team. Nothing was ever done about that. If you or I had done it, we'd still be in jail or at least trying to pay off the six-figure fine.

You can excuse it all you want, but Shula does not seem to have a grip on the team. Things are swept under the rug, ignored and excused.

You also left unanswered the questions of dissent on the coaching staff. Does it exist? Is there a discipline-related rift by two different camps?

I think it is all an act. Mike Shula told Juwan to act like this because he embarassed himself and the University of Alabama and the football program. I personally think Shula told him to say these things, so that when Shula does suspend him, it will make him (Shula) look really good in front of the media. The media and the public will say, "Look at Mike Shula - it took him a couple months, but he has a player thinking he should get off with an ice cream cone, and he showed him that he will not tolerate this in his program. Good for Mike Shula to finally get some balls. Now if only he could beat Tuberville."

Shula has been here for going on 4 seasons...we've had 8 major problems:

JPW's DUI

Simeon's Grades

Hudson's weed thing

Simpson's deal

Curtis Dawson's partying

Earnest Nance's nightclub thing

Curtis, Nance and Brandon were excused from the team. Simpson has been here for 4 years and NEVER had a problem. Simeon one problem in 3 seasons. Hudson 1 problem in 5 seasons. Never did ANYTHING wrong after his run in. Britt didnt have another problem and graduated.

BG, it's NOT the number of problems that is of discussion, it is the handling of said problems. Sears was arrested last year, automatically got a one game suspension. Now after his conviction has/is going to get several more games!! Blackmon is arrested for basically underage drinking and is getting a several game suspension. JPW is arrested for DUI and gets a one game "suspension" where he is dressed out with the team standing on the sideline!!! Simpson gets arrested for some serious offenses, that soon start disappearing, and it has yet to be said any word of a suspension!! Then he is so smug as to say I don't deserve to be suspended b/c I've taken so much criticism from the public and media. Give me a break, not to mention Keys getting a few breaks after being told one strike and your out!!

Shula is losing control, maybe not to the point of where Fulmer is, but it is getting there. Teams are going to have problems.....It is how the coaches and team handles those that matter.

I find it funny your comments about drinking 3 or 4 beers and being out of control. That few can still affect your reactions, a fraction of a second at 60 mph can be the difference. Having gone thru police academy and gone thru the training for DUI detection and 4.5 yrs of experience, it doesn't matter. A police officer can tell thru the testing whether or not someone is capable of operating a motor vehicle, whether they blow a .08 or a .42 (which I had a lady blow, and she was not falling down drunk).

Just go ahead and admit that Shula is soft. Or if you like play the well we don't know what the punishment is b/c Shula does not make those things public Card if you like. Not matter how you cut it Shula is soft.

If you heard him slamming Shug this week...you wouldnt even consider his bama slams as good talking points.

Finebaum knows nothing about Shug and whatever he says he speaks from ignorance. Finebaum openly worships Bear.

BG still thinks DJ Hall was sent home to help his family out. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

No, but I know he wasnt arrested. And I know every internal conflict doesnt require suspending a player...especially not just to keep the AU fans satisfied.

BG still thinks DJ Hall was sent home to help his family out. :roflol::roflol::roflol:

No, but I know he wasnt arrested. And I know every internal conflict doesnt require suspending a player...especially not just to keep the AU fans satisfied.

You should be worried that he was accepted back with no penalty. If only 1/10th of the rumors I've heard are true, Shula can't let this kid walk off and on the team without some retribution.

Bomar wasn't either. :poke:

Speaking as an AU Fan, I am "satisfied" by a Team and Coach that has the reputation of doing things the right way...on and off the field. :au::cheer:

Oh, OWNING uat is satisfying too. ;)

Finebaum knows nothing about Shug and whatever he says he speaks from ignorance. Finebaum openly worships Bear.

Excuse me...that's BAHR.... :)

:au::homer:

galen, you should be governor of this state.....WAR EAGLE

That's reserved for Sir Charles! :lol:

:au::homer:

Archived