Time to pick players

DKW 86

http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/mobilereg....xml&coll=3

Time to pick players

As two-a-days conclude, next 10 days will see Auburn coaches making major decisions on personnel, especially on defense

Thursday, August 17, 2006

By EVAN WOODBERY

Sports Reporter

AUBURN -- Game week has a certain rhythm, and Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville wants to get his team accustomed to it as soon as possible.

The new routine starts today, when players will rise at dawn for a team breakfast, then put on pads for a morning practice. The Tigers will do the same thing during game weeks.

"The biggest thing about football is to get in a routine where the players know what to expect," Tuberville said.

The sweaty grind of two-a-days is essentially over, as Tuberville has moved practices from the intramural fields back to the football complex.

The team took Wednesday off for the first day of class and will welcome a host of new faces today when rosters are expanded. Soon, coaches will have to make hard choices about which players to place on scout teams and which players to keep with the regular group.

As major decisions approach, defensive coordinator Will Muschamp said certain players must increase their intensity.

"That's what we talked to them about -- leadership and a sense of urgency," Muschamp said. "They need to play harder, play faster, play longer, play better. We're getting it out of some guys, just not enough."

Camp started on Aug. 1 when players officially reported. The true game week begins on Aug. 27, the Sunday before Auburn's Sept. 2 opener against Washington State. That leaves only 10 more days to impress coaches and make final decisions on the position battles still raging.

A brief rundown on what to watch:

Offense

The line is settled, barring injury. Despite assistant coach Hugh Nall's protestations to the contrary, Auburn's first-team offensive line will be one of the most reliable in the conference.

Center Joe Cope has returned from his injury, allowing tackle Jonathan Palmer to return to his original position. King Dunlap holds the other tackle spot and Ben Grubbs and Tim Duckworth are among the best guard tandems in the country. All of the starters except Dunlap are seniors.

Behind the first team, there's much more to be worried about. Tackles Oscar Gonzalez, Antwoin Daniels and Andrew McCain have battled various injuries. Daniels has made huge strides since last year, but any of the three players would make coaches nervous if they were forced to start a big game.

At tight end, redshirt freshmen Gabe McKenzie of Mobile and Tommy Trott will battle for snaps behind starter Cole Bennett, but all three are expected to play.

The receiver rotation is still being worked out. Courtney Taylor and Prechae Rodriguez head the list. Lee Guess could also get the start in certain sets out of deference to his status as a senior.

Defense

There are many more questions on defense, and injuries have only added to the uncertainty.

Mobile native Sen'Derrick Marks will continue to fight Pat Sims for the starting defensive tackle job, but Sims has wowed coaches and might be difficult to unseat. The arrival of junior college star Greg Smith will add another dimension to the battle, especially later in the season.

The linebacker spot is almost too perplexing to unravel, with Tray Blackmon and Kevin Sears suspended and Steve Gandy out with a serious injury. The only sure thing is that Will Herring will start at strong-side linebacker. Beyond that, Merrill Johnson is likely to win the middle spot and Karibi Dede the outside. Depth could be worrisome until Blackmon and Sears return.

In the secondary, Muschamp hasn't named a starter, but he's been pleased with the play of Aairon Savage, who is competing against Tristan Davis for one of the two safety spots. Eric Brock is likely to win the other. David Irons and Jonathan Wilhite are the two cornerbacks.

:cheer: -- SMITH TO PRACTICE TODAY: Greg Smith's long trek to Auburn is finally over, and his college career will officially begin today. :cheer:

Smith, who originally hoped to enroll at Auburn several months ago, has endured setback after setback while trying to finish his junior college classes. Now, after passing a math class at Chattanooga State and graduating from Northeast Mississippi Community College, Smith is ready to play football.

Ranked among the top junior college prospects in the country by most recruiting services, Smith was expected to make an immediate impact this summer and perhaps even challenge for a starting job. His late arrival makes that unlikely, but coaches would still like to get Smith in shape and in a position to contribute later in the season.

"We'll throw him in there and try to get him in as much shape as we can," Tuberville said.

Two things: First of all, Greg Smith is practicing with the first-teamers today. He's legit and could start opening day.

Secondly, I think Lee Guess won't see much of the playing field this year. Even though he's a good wideout, I would put Rod Smith, Hawthorne, Prechae, and CT ahead of him. I see him as a 5th WR tops, and, if he weren't a freshman likely to be redshirted, I would think Zachery might be a better option.

Two things: First of all, Greg Smith is practicing with the first-teamers today. He's legit and could start opening day.

Secondly, I think Lee Guess won't see much of the playing field this year. Even though he's a good wideout, I would put Rod Smith, Hawthorne, Prechae, and CT ahead of him. I see him as a 5th WR tops, and, if he weren't a freshman likely to be redshirted, I would think Zachery might be a better option.

I think if we see Lee Guess very often it will be in possession situations 3rd and short and such , he is a receiver BC is very comfortable with and having a check down target from CT or Pre-Rod could be very valuable.

I think if we see Lee Guess very often it will be in possession situations 3rd and short and such , he is a receiver BC is very comfortable with and having a check down target from CT or Pre-Rod could be very valuable.

Agreed. Let me throw this out there - Lee Guess = Hicks Poor

To show you how valuable each was in his senior season (in terms of depth), check 1997 (I think) and 2006.

We're not LOADED at WR, but we're very deep.

Archived