Remembering the 89 Miss State game

StatTiger

How many of you remember the 1989 Mississippi State game? After losing to Florida State and averaging only 122 yards rushing in the last 4 games, Coach Dye was determined for Auburn to become more physical the week of the Mississippi State game.

It might have been one of the most boring offensive games under Pat Dye as Auburn called 59 run plays to just 14 passes. Auburn completed 9 of the 14 pass attempts for a grand total of 37 yards. :(

Though Auburn only defeated MSU 14-0, Coach Dye got what he wanted as Auburn went onto to average 192 yards rushing the remainder of the season, capturing their 3rd consecutive SEC title. :cheer:

Coming into the 2006 season, Coach Tuberville has preached about wanting Auburn to be a more physical team this season and we saw some of it against Washington State. As the 2006 Auburn Tigers venture to Starkville this Saturday, expect to see a very physical ball game.

Over the last 45 meetings against Mississippi State, Auburn is 31-2-0 when they out rush the Maroon Bulldogs and 1-10-1 when MSU has the upper hand in the rushing yardage. During the 33 games Auburn outrushed MSU, the Tigers averaged 237.6 yards rushing, holding State to 108.8 yards rushing. In the 12 games State outrushed Auburn, the Bulldogs averaged 176.2 yards on the ground, holding the Tigers to 103.9 yards rushing.

Auburn 30, Mississippi State 7

:au::football::cheer:

Thanks for the nostalgia Stat. Coach Dye wanted to prove a point and toughen up his team. He accomplished both objectives that day.

WDE ! ! !.......O N E at a time.

He did the same sthing aginst Miss Southern and Brett Farve picked us apart to win the game. The game plan for the second half was running back left, running back right, pass, punt.

The Mississippi State game that sticks out to me was during the Bowden phase in 1997. AU, an 18-point favorite if I remember right, was driving, had the ball at about the MSU 20, Craig throws a little flare to the back out of the backfield. He put a lot of air under it. The corner broke on it, snagged the pass at a dead run and returned it for a score.

AU ended up losing a game 20-0 in which they were clearly the superior team.

That game, to me, was the final straw (or was it the first straw, I don't remember so well execpt that is was VERY strawy) for Bowden.

AU ended up going to the SEC Championship game where idiotic coaching cost us the SEC title. AU wasted time trying to stop Tennessee over and over and over on that last drive when allowing them to score would have been the smarter option. AU had found an offensive rhythm and could have scored at will toward the end.

The next season, Bowden was gone.

Archived