Ivan Maisel

An Auburn Fan

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/stor...&id=2604577

"It's a rule of For Argument's Sake not to talk about the BCS in September. The season is barely a third complete. If we start discussing who gets left out now, we might as well discuss playoff pitching matchups in May.

But in the wake of the release of the initial Harris Poll, which concurs with the coaches in ranking USC No. 2 ahead of No. 3 Auburn, this is an exception.

As Auburn fans prepare their conspiracy theories, ready to show once again that The Big, Bad Media is ready to make them live through 2004 all over again; ready to show once again that the media is all Trojans, all the time, they should take a look at the Associated Press poll.

The media ranks Auburn second. No. 3 USC is 22 points behind Auburn. That's not a large margin, but it's not thin enough to read through, either.

My advice, and this comes from someone who doesn't have a vote in any poll beyond the ESPN Power 16 (where I do rank USC second and Auburn third) is simple. One, don't worry until November. No team, even Auburn, has a guarantee that it will go undefeated. Two, if you must ignore one and worry, don't go off on the media. The media believes in Auburn.

As of Sept. 26, anyway."

:cheer::au:

They know, man. They know.

And it is starting. They know there is not going to be a better storyline for December than if we are undefeated.... USC is old hat, blah blah. Ohio State exciting. Auburn exciting.

One game at a time and everything else will take care of itself.

They know, man. They know.

And it is starting. They know there is not going to be a better storyline for December than if we are undefeated.... USC is old hat, blah blah. Ohio State exciting. Auburn exciting.

One game at a time and everything else will take care of itself.

Circle as usual I agree it will be ok

so now we have the media cutting us off at the pass...telling us to not worry, we'll probably lose anyway.

i know i feel better. a little preachy for me.

yet, i honestly do not worry about being the odd-team out again. if that happens, it will mean we will have had yet another stellar season.

It's a rule of For Argument's Sake not to talk about the BCS in September.

If it is not widely discussed year-long in how to improve or replace; then the odd man-out will always grip and moan in November and December and after bowl-season it will be forgotten how it didn't really work. And next season it will always be in place.

As Auburn fans prepare their conspiracy theories, ready to show once again that The Big, Bad Media is ready to make them live through 2004 all over again; ready to show once again that the media is all Trojans, all the time, they should take a look at the Associated Press poll.

Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the AP poll ask not to be used in the BCS equation? So, in effect the AP poll is useless and has nothing to do with the MNC.

One, don't worry until November. No team, even Auburn, has a guarantee that it will go undefeated

So, what is the purpose of a poll if it comes down to going undefeated to have a claim on the MNC title game? Why even have polls? (For the talking heads to talk about).

Maisel is an idiot. He contridicted himself twice in his little column.

I'm just hoping we can win out,

....and that WSU can pull off the upset this weekend and make the whole AU vs. USC discussion a moot point!

WDE! :cheer:

Go Cougars! :cheer:

Couldn't agree with you more. Let's start if with a win tonight.

Forget the Wash St upset over USC!! How about ND or Mich upsetting OSU!! I would LOVE to see us play USC for the MNC!!!!!!

From the way the media/polls have reacted, that would lead to a Michigan or ND vs. USC MNC Game.

Guest Tigrinum Major

Unpossible. USC also plays Norte Dame, so one will end up with two losses or both will have one. There would be no rematch if there were any other undefeated teams, up to and including the winner of Louisville and West Virginia.

Archived