Coach Tubs sent a message to the students today

jwise0022

The biggest problem i have with the student section are the frats dressing up and girls wearing dresses. It is a freakin' football game who are you trying to impress. I know many here do not like the All Auburn All Orange. But hey it is impressive to see all the orange. It "pops" out much more than navy blue.

The most intimidating student section I have seen was LSU's It seemed like every single student in the section had the same color shirt on. It was just a massive wall of gold, yellow or whatever color that is supposed to be. I would love for ours to be like that.

Another thing that would be VERY cool. At the beginning of the 4th quarter the band always plays the pregame. If you would watch they jump up and down during the drum cadence... How cool would it be if the students started doing that? I would be quite impressive. Just think if you are an opposing team down by 3 going into the 4th and you glance over your shoulder and you see 20,000 students jumping up and down with the band?

The reason the spirit points system sucks is because 70% of the students at Auburn cannot attain those seats. It's not that they aren't involved, it's because they aren't involved in huge groups. Most students are independents who are involved on campus and volunteer at a multitude of places not because they must but because they can. The fact also remains that most spirit points for fraternities are earned by pledges who are forced to earn them and that just doesn't really jive with how I feel volunteering should be done. The really rediculous thing this year is that fraternities that didn't earn enough points to get those seats are sending their pledges to save open seats. Auburn should really rethink how the system works.

My seat is in Section 8. Row 44 Seat 9. Just about even with the 25 yard line. Whether I get there early or late, it's always waitin' on me. No purses, no one saving seats around me, no threats on my life. If it's 97 degrees in the shade, there won't be anyone wearing long khaki pants, white long-sleeve shirts and blue blazers. I'll be in that seat tomorrow morning in time to watch the Eagle take flight. I'll look across the way at the student section and wave. :wavey:

Oh, I'll be wearing an orange, Auburn short sleeve pullover if you want to wave back. B)

I'll look across the way at the student section and wave. :wavey:

Oh, I'll be wearing an orange, Auburn short sleeve pullover if you want to wave back. B)

i'll look for you to wave back at. you're really gonna stand out in an orange shirt ;)

I was in a fraternity and I loved my block seats. My fraternity won spirit points every year(so I guess I gave away which one) and we get first choice. I put in alot of work to get those seats and I felt deserving. I also showed up when the gates opened to go in even though I did not have to. I now sit in the old people section and I dont like that the block is empty until 10 minutes until game time. The system has been reworked so that the points are given based on the percentage of a groups members that participate in an event. If my fraternity just sends our 30 pledges then we have about 25% participation. Water polo can send all 12 members and they would get more points than we would for having 30 people show. If you took away block seating people would be alot less involved. I would prefer that people volunteer and get involved out of the goodness of their heart, but for Auburn's sake they need people to be involved and sometimes you have to provide a reward to make that happen for some people. I think the system should be kept in place for those students who participate. I also think that SGA should enforce their rule stating that people must be in the block at least 1 hour before game time. As an outsider now, I do not think it is fair that those seats sit empty until 10 minutes before the game sometime. At 1 hour before game time, students should be allowed to come in and take any empty seats. Im sure this would lead to fights, but it is not fair at all that those seats remain empty while thousands of people are crammed into the rest of the student section. The university also needs to add more student seating but they never will because they cant charge students thousands of dollars for a seat like they can the average fan.

Dang things have gotten all uppity since I was there. Back in the day if you could break off a R.D. Mercer on someone, you got the seat.

I was in a fraternity and I loved my block seats. My fraternity won spirit points every year(so I guess I gave away which one) and we get first choice. I put in alot of work to get those seats and I felt deserving. I also showed up when the gates opened to go in even though I did not have to. I now sit in the old people section and I dont like that the block is empty until 10 minutes until game time. The system has been reworked so that the points are given based on the percentage of a groups members that participate in an event. If my fraternity just sends our 30 pledges then we have about 25% participation. Water polo can send all 12 members and they would get more points than we would for having 30 people show. If you took away block seating people would be alot less involved. I would prefer that people volunteer and get involved out of the goodness of their heart, but for Auburn's sake they need people to be involved and sometimes you have to provide a reward to make that happen for some people. I think the system should be kept in place for those students who participate. I also think that SGA should enforce their rule stating that people must be in the block at least 1 hour before game time. As an outsider now, I do not think it is fair that those seats sit empty until 10 minutes before the game sometime. At 1 hour before game time, students should be allowed to come in and take any empty seats. Im sure this would lead to fights, but it is not fair at all that those seats remain empty while thousands of people are crammed into the rest of the student section. The university also needs to add more student seating but they never will because they cant charge students thousands of dollars for a seat like they can the average fan.

Old people section??? Old people section??? You young whipper snapper, why I oughta'...... :angryfire:

Actually, I guess I do sit in the old people section... :P

i hate the mic man with a passion, and so does the majority of the student section. he comes up with the dumbest chants and things to say.

"big tough d!" ya that's hardcore!

"push em back, push em back, waaay back" another awesome saying of his

"hold that line, hold that line" yayyyy i'm so pumped up!

"we want some yardage" wow how creative!

and of course his favorite "get your hands up for two bits!!!" it might be cool if he didnt' do it every 5 minutes.

then whenever we try to boo something he always tries to start some chant. like the pass interferance agains lsu and that fumble by buffalo that they gave back to buffalo after review. i know he cant really boo with us and has to show sportsmanship but come on.

sorry for the rant, the mic man just annoys the hell out of me

I am a former :au: cheerleader, and honestly, I get tired of hearing about how much the mic man sucks at life and needs to stop cheering etc. The mic man doesn't make up those offensive/defensive cheers. Those cheers are just as much an Auburn tradition as bodda getta, two bits, and track 'em. There are 15 offensive cheers, and 15 defensive cheers that the cheerleaders have to learn and relearn every year that they cheer. Auburn is all about tradition, and that is part of the reason why Auburn cheerleaders don't compete. It is the mic man's job to get the crowd involved. If the mic man wasn't there, only the first 15 rows of the crowd or so could hear the cheerleaders. Have you ever sat about 30 rows back at an away game from the cheerleaders?! I did it last week at South Carolina, and you can't hear them without the micman. Yes, the mic man ALWAYS starts cheers when the student section boos or more frequently chants the "BS" chant...but that is his job. His job is to promote good sportsmanship and school spirit. Chanting BS is NOT good sportsmanship. And guess what...when people are chanting "BS" and he starts a cheer, it usually works! People stop chanting "BS" and start cheering along with him! During pre-game, have you ever noticed that most of the time, there is a PR rep from the athletic department telling the mic man what cheers to do and when to stop. Sure, he does screw up the cheers sometimes (such as him saying go aubuan go instead of score auburn score, but usually, the cheerleaders are the only ones who take notice). Anyway, sorry for my rant, but I have just about had enough of the mic man bashing!

War Eagle! Roast the :arky: !! :cheer:

My older than average hubby and I had immense problems when he came back to finish his BS at AU in the early 1990s. His student tickets were for two numbered seats in a particular section, which for some unknown reason was in the middle of a block of seats for Chi Phi fraternity. Well, we were harrassed the entire season by the frat members to move, move, move. We held our ground, but I have always wondered why our seats were there. I am not sure if they made their own block or if the school did it.

Anyway after that season, we said to hell with the cheap student tickets and bought regular season tickets and never regretted it. I found the fans in the "real sections" much more sprit oriented and not using the game as a social calendar event. Back then at least, students were not the most supportive and they made it known.

Archived