Simple Game

aumd03

A few years ago, before our 2003 season with such great hype, I went to an alumni event as a representative of my college and got a chance to speak with Coach Dye one on one. He said something that I've heard him say on Finebaum before as well. Football is a simple game. You have to do three things.

1. Play good defense - He said, if the other team doesn't score, worst you can do is tie.

2. Run the ball

3. Throw the ball deep.

Everytime I look at a game where we've lost since that year, I realize, its one of those three things we haven't done well. Usually its #1. It really impressed me Saturday how we didn't do any of those well. I think our inability to throw the ball deep hampers our ability to keep defenses honest and run the ball against 8 or 9 man fronts.

A few years ago, before our 2003 season with such great hype, I went to an alumni event as a representative of my college and got a chance to speak with Coach Dye one on one. He said something that I've heard him say on Finebaum before as well. Football is a simple game. You have to do three things.

1. Play good defense - He said, if the other team doesn't score, worst you can do is tie.

2. Run the ball

3. Throw the ball deep.

Everytime I look at a game where we've lost since that year, I realize, its one of those three things we haven't done well. Usually its #1. It really impressed me Saturday how we didn't do any of those well. I think our inability to throw the ball deep hampers our ability to keep defenses honest and run the ball against 8 or 9 man fronts.

Dye was spot on. Nice post.

Archived