Borges' Offense

Raven_tiger

I have been critical of Muschamp defense, but if you look at the numbers, the defensive unit is performing better than the offensive unit... :coffee:

AU offense: #59

AU defense: #6

AU NCAA stats

Petrino is actually a better OC than Borges. I know that probably surprises no one here.

UL offense: #2

Maybe the Nall debacle skewed our perspective on OCs...

I have to admit this year's O is not as good as years past...

Auburn is #40 in term of rushing, #80 in term of passing. I think when the WRs are getting better we will see more production through the air. Kenny and Brad hampered by injuries also doesn't help the rushing. If it makes you feel better we are 2nd in SEC in rushing.. and 7th in passing..

Apparently you're not happy unless you're bashing some ac or ctt.

Let's see, over the last two years borges has lost 3 first rounders to the pro's and practically his entire receiving corps (in one year).

I'd say borges has proven time and time again that he can coach the right players. We have obvious weaknesses at qb and receiver this year. I don't see anyone that is ready to jump in and lift those positions higher than they are right now.

Noticed your boy chizik was 15th in scoring d.

Who's bashing? :o

Maybe a bit over the top and I was referring to Raven.

He was our favorite doom and gloomer around here until tubs finally turned the corner.

Now borges comes in, lifts the offense to new heights, suffers some setbacks this year due to things beyond his control.

Now here comes raven with the "petrinos better" crap. Who freaking cares if petrino is or isn't better than borges? The jury is still out on that one and if we played in the big east our O numbers would be much better this year, no if's and's aor but's.

Either he's wanting ctt fired, getting a stiffy over chizik, or now he's into knocking Borges.

Classic doom and gloomer.

There is definitely a big difference in the types of plays we are running this year compared to 2 years ago. Certainly the personnel differences are part of the reason, but I do believe we have the talent at QB and most certainly at RB to execute a lot of what was run back then. The only thing I can think is that CTT's conservativism has had an affect on what Borges wants to put in the games...

I seriously doubt tubs is holding borges back. I'd say it's more of a mutual thing imo.

Face it. If we don't run the slow down game against sc (holding the ball the entire 3rd Q) we probably lose that one.

If we don't hold the ball for huge amounts of time against fla. they probably beat us.

If we opened it up in either of those games we probably lose. Same could probably be said for some other games this year.

IMO we are playing with the hand we have been dealt this year.

As much as I have wanted to see us open it up this year I think it would have hurt us MUCH more than it would have helped us.

Well, I think the problem is the lack of deep talent on the O-line and wide receivers. I have a hard time believing that Borges has suddenly become a bad coach. I think we have alot of young kids still learning.

Well, I think the problem is the lack of deep talent on the O-line and wide receivers. I have a hard time believing that Borges has suddenly become a bad coach. I think we have alot of young kids still learning.

The talent is there, it just needs to be polished a bit more. We're a pretty young team. Although that's probably not doing us any favors this year, it will do leaps and bounds the next few years. Honestly, there's been a ton of expectation put on this team from basically everyone, and we're not allowing time for the younger players to develop. This doesn't excuse the D performance yesterday, but it perhaps explains a lot of the strategy used by the coaches. I don't feel the game coaching has been that bad this year, I actually think its been pretty dang good.

The play of the two new tackles has been hurting the whole offensive game plan, but they are coming around now if the latest injuries haven't set us back again. The one thing I fault Borges for is that he should have recognized the problems on the line and done something sooner to compensate for it. Cox was getting knocked around by the pressure coming from the outside and was holding the ball much to long. He is getting rid of the ball much sooner now and finally getting into a rythm throwing it on shorter passes and crossing routes. I think we will be much better for the rest of the season if the injuries hurt the continuity on the line.

The play of the two new tackles has been hurting the whole offensive game plan, but they are coming around now if the latest injuries haven't set us back again. The one thing I fault Borges for is that he should have recognized the problems on the line and done something sooner to compensate for it. Cox was getting knocked around by the pressure coming from the outside and was holding the ball much to long. He is getting rid of the ball much sooner now and finally getting into a rythm throwing it on shorter passes and crossing routes. I think we will be much better for the rest of the season if the injuries hurt the continuity on the line.

Borges has alot of respect for Hugh Nall and probably felt like he could coach them through it.

At least they are 7-1 and trying to solve some issues. It appears that the toughest part of the schedule is behind them. Unless there is a complete collapse, this is gonna be a very successful year. 10 wins are acheivable, a solid bowl game is in the future and still a chance at an SECC. I find it hard to complain. I think we get too caught up in the pre-season rankings.

We started the year weak at WR. It has haunted us so far. Since the LSU game, we have been injured at QB and at starting RB.

Hopefully we are finally going to be healthy after the Tulane game. We rested everyone. CTT basically made us a bye week. Anyway Cox was almost perfect Saturday and says he feels better then ever.

Lets play the rest of the ganmes and see.

We started the year weak at WR. It has haunted us so far. Since the LSU game, we have been injured at QB and at starting RB.

Hopefully we are finally going to be healthy after the Tulane game. We rested everyone. CTT basically made us a bye week. Anyway Cox was almost perfect Saturday and say she feels better then ever.

Just curious.. why do you say she?

Hopefully we are finally going to be healthy after the Tulane game. We rested everyone. CTT basically made us a bye week. Anyway Cox was almost perfect Saturday and say she feels better then ever.

Just curious.. why do you say she?

'... say_s he feels better than ever. "

Who's bashing? :o

Maybe a bit over the top and I was referring to Raven.

He was our favorite doom and gloomer around here until tubs finally turned the corner.

Now borges comes in, lifts the offense to new heights, suffers some setbacks this year due to things beyond his control.

Now here comes raven with the "petrinos better" crap. Who freaking cares if petrino is or isn't better than borges? The jury is still out on that one and if we played in the big east our O numbers would be much better this year, no if's and's aor but's.

Either he's wanting ctt fired, getting a stiffy over chizik, or now he's into knocking Borges.

Classic doom and gloomer.

I wasn't bashing Borges. I just pointed to the facts that show that the offense really lagging behind the defense if you look at the stats. Muschamp has received criticism for the defense, but the defense is actually performing better than the offense. Sometimes people just can't accept reality. :rolleyes:

What was beyond his control?

Who freaking cares if petrino is or isn't better than borges? The jury is still out on that one and if we played in the big east our O numbers would be much better this year, no if's and's aor but's.

Just comparing old vs new OCs. Maybe we will get a chance to see how well UofL really is, first hand.

Chizik won (again) yesterday, didn't he??? :cheer: (just for you 88)

I think if it's 4th and inches you have to show some imagination.

If you go for it on 4th you sure better give yourself a chance to get it.

Auburn has the weapons and the OC to be very good.

Your just one of those glass half empty people raven. Go take some more meds and breathe in and out a few times.

No, not really. I would just think, 'Why was the glass not optimized to hold the correct amount of fluid...' ;)

I think B.Cox's lack of athleticism and arm strength plus the inexperience and lack of playmakers at WR has caused the coaches to run a very scaled back attack, which has allowed teams to key on the run. When you combine this with the absense of a SEC caliber center on the line this year, it has caused the offense to fail against top-level SEC caliber defenses.

I like Brandon Cox, but his arm strength and lack of athleticism prevent him from achieving ALL-SEC status. Also, Joe Cope is OK but he is not a big guy compared to modern-era SEC Nose tackles. Behind him, the situation is even worse. Given our situation on Offense it would take a phenomenal OL to make up for the short comings we have this year. I think our guards and King Dunlap are really good.

I think B.Cox's lack of athleticism and arm strength plus the inexperience and lack of playmakers at WR has caused the coaches to run a very scaled back attack, which has allowed teams to key on the run. When you combine this with the absense of a SEC caliber center on the line this year, it has caused the offense to fail against top-level SEC caliber defenses.

I like Brandon Cox, but his arm strength and lack of athleticism prevent him from achieving ALL-SEC status. Also, Joe Cope is OK but he is not a big guy compared to modern-era SEC Nose tackles. Behind him, the situation is even worse. Given our situation on Offense it would take a phenomenal OL to make up for the short comings we have this year. I think our guards and King Dunlap are really good.

Yup!

Cox needs to roll out of the pocket more if he is gonna hold the ball for 10 seconds.

I don't think Cox lacks arm strength. Compared to some of the freaks of nature in the SEC like J. Russell, yeah, he's weak. He has a compact short release which I think makes him effective especially on short routes. If you compare him to someone like Leak who has a very long throwing motion, but gets more behind it. I don't think Cox was recruited for that. He was recruited for accuracy and being a lefty.

I don't think Cox lacks arm strength. Compared to some of the freaks of nature in the SEC like J. Russell, yeah, he's weak. He has a compact short release which I think makes him effective especially on short routes. If you compare him to someone like Leak who has a very long throwing motion, but gets more behind it. I don't think Cox was recruited for that. He was recruited for accuracy and being a lefty.

How is having a qb that is left handed beneficial in football?

Not having the deep threats at WR like Devin and Ben have allowed the safeties to cheat up more than in previous years also.

There are alot of reasons for the drop off in production, but it is better to be 7-1 with things to improve than 4-4 with issues. So, they are doing something right.

I'm not sure being a lefty is as beneficial as some people make it out to be. It throws a little wrinkle in the defense because the qb's blind side is the opposite. Your left tackle is supposed to be the best one to protect the qb's blind side. But most defenses run a strong weak side system rather than a left right system that was used in the past. I think its more an aura of a left handed qb, as there have been some great lefties. The ball also has a different rotation on it that takes some getting used to.

I think that BC has sufficient arm strength. Accuracy is not an issue. Some of the plays where he holds the ball, making multiple reads and taking a sack, has hurt us. The kid is smart and heady. He is able to go through the route progressions. I'm not sure he has developed the confidence in the WR corp (excluding CT).

Archived