Question from a Hogfan

Mustain Ranch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is the :au: - :ua: rivalry game called the Iron Bowl. Just wandering

:arky: Thanks GHG :arky:

The game used to be played in Birmingham. B'ham was once known for its metalworks/foundries.

For the longest time, up until 1989 (and some odd years afterwards), this game was played in Birmingham, which used to be the steel capital of the south (or Pittsburgh of the south). Steel... thus iron. There might be more to the story than this, but this is the basic idea.

Why is the :au: - :ua: rivalry game called the Iron Bowl. Just wandering

:arky: Thanks GHG :arky:

The game used to be played in Birmingham. B'ham was once known for its metalworks/foundries.

Thanks for telling me. Thats been on my mind for a while :au::au:

:puke:

:ua:

Shug Jordan named the Auburn-Alabama game, kinda' spontaneously during an interview one year when it was obvious Auburn was not going to a bowl. He said, "We've got our own special bowl--the Iron Bowl in Birmingham with Alabama".

I wish we had an Iron Bowl trophy w/ Vulcan on it. (Arky, Vulcan is a statue of a Greek? god located in B'ham.)

Heck, I didn't realize until a year or so ago that we have an Iron Bowl trophy.

Thanks for the link.

This is what I love about college sports, the tradition, the bands and the fans. IMO pro sports just doesn't live up to the hype.

:arky: Go Hogs!

I agree with you on that one. Yeah, I know the pros have great technique, but NFL football has all the mystique and fun of an IBM company softball game.

A lot of people don't. IMO this tradition of presenting this trophy to winning school is under-hyped. What a great old college tradition!

A lot of people don't. IMO this tradition of presenting this trophy to winning school is under-hyped. What a great old college tradition!

You would have heard of it but it is done at the basketball game which discounts most AU fans right there.

Yes but is it as awesome as....

THE GOLDEN BOOT??

GoldenBoot.jpg

Clearly not. The Boot belongs up there with Floyd of Rosedale.

Or Floyd of Mayberry. Need a hair cut Andy???? B)

:au::homer:

It's awesomeness exists on 2 levels. First, it's goldenness. Second, it's Bootiness.

I challenge anybody to present a more golden, bootier trophy than this masterpiece.

Google Images presented me with mucho golden booties....all were way more awesome than the boot.

They were, unfortunately, not suitable for a family-friendly football forum. How's that for alliteration?

I am not sure what is worse Wes..... The fact that I actually searched "golden botties" on Google or the fact that you think what it brought back was "golden"?

You would have heard of it but it is done at the basketball game which discounts most AU fans right there.

Truth. I've enjoyed the last four years having the UAT SGA president sing the War Eagle Fight song and handing over the trophy. More often than not in these last few years it has been the only highlight of Auburn/UAT basketball games...

I am not sure what is worse Wes..... The fact that I actually searched "golden botties" on Google or the fact that you think what it brought back was "golden"?

Wes has a weird taste in "girls" so I'm not surprised you would say this.

Almost any of the booties that came up in response to that search are more awesome than this silly boot.

Archived