Let's Talk Expectations for the Ole Miss Game

CarolinaTiger

Seems like the pattern for the past few weeks (years?) has been for Auburn to win the games they should win (with notable exception noted) and yet still get railed against by some posters because we didn't beat a given team bad enough.

Given Ole Miss's performance to date, as well as Auburn's performance thus far, what do you really expect to happen? Not what you wish would happen, but what are your expectations?

We see Ole Miss play UGA and Bama incredibly close...could have won either of those games. Yet get blown out by others (UK, Missouri, Arkansas, Wake).

Memphis W 28-25

Missouri L 7-34

Kentucky L 14-31

Wake Forest L 3-27

Georgia L 9-14

Vanderbilt W 17-10

Alabama L 23-26

Arkansas L 3-38

Auburn, on the other hand, has 2 victories against Top 10 teams, other impressive outings, and Arkansas.

then you have the former coach returning to the spurned school angle. does this still motivate Ole Miss? Is it on Tuberville's radar? Does that matter w.r.t. the intensity either team brings to the mix?

Here's my expectation:

Its a close game early. Auburn pulls away late in the 3rd for a 10-14 point victory. We are once again disappointed that Auburn didn't blow out a team that has been blown out by the likes of Missouri, Kentucky and Wake Forest...forgetting that they have played great ball of late (w/ the exception of the Arky game...giving credit to Arkansas there).

What's your take?

First off, I will be FURIOUS if Ole Miss runs the ball up and down the field on us like Tulane did. Ole Miss's offense is just awful, so there would be absolutely no excuses this time around.

Secondly, I'm expecting some consistency from our running attack (something that's been happening the past few games). It would be nice to see a few vertical passes as well.

Overall, I think about a 20 point win is a reasonable expectation, give or take about 5 points. Ole Miss is one of the worst teams (if not THE worst) in the SEC this year. We shouldn't have too much of a problem; however, we've really been playing down to the level of some of our opponents this year. I wouldn't be shocked to see it a little closer.

I think people missed the point about last weeks complaints. It wasn't about the margin of victory, it was simply the lack of execution by our D. With that said, I don't care what the score is as long as we win, but I would like to see full execution by all three facets of the game.

I expect that we'll be able to run the ball at will. Wake ran wild on OM...to the tune of 50+ of 56 plays were running plays.

I think we win this one easily, but the score will not necessarily reflect that due to the new clock rules and the running plays called.

I also expect that people will piss and moan no matter what the margin of victory is. Our fans have gotten spoiled and a sense of entitlement is creeping into the expectations of some. Bammerish, even.

I don't think the spurned school motivates Ole Miss that much these days. None of the players that Tub coached are there anymore, and this is not even the same coaching staff that replaced Tub. It definitely still motivates the fans and gets them a little extra fired-up, but I don't think it has much effect on the team.

We really should win comfortably. Our offense has been fine for the most part this season, it is just our defense sometimes shows up (2nd half Florida) and sometimes doesn't (Buffalo through 1st half of Florida). But even if we don't give our best performance, Ole Miss is not very good this year, and they just lost several players.

I say we win by between 17 and 21. But who knows. These are kids and I was sure caught off guard by the Arkansas game.

i'd like to see us have 2 100+ yard rushers sat. that would be cake.

something we need to keep in mind though. we will get their best game, period. like a lot of other schools in the conf., they have a chip on their shoulder about Auburn for some reason. so it may be a lot more competitive of a game that we think.

I think the D may actually impress in this one. Shaffer is not a passing threat, so I think Muschamp will have 8-9 in the box all game and run a lot of run blitzes. As for the offense, I think we will probably see only a little of Kenny, a little of Lester and a lot of Tre Smith and Ben Tate again. The two starters need the rest and there should be no reason to have them in for more than a quarter or two.

we're a 17 point favorite. my expectation is a win by less than that margin. we've been pretty terrible against the spread of late (only cover since msu was florida). i figure we'll run the ball well but not dominately. the protection will be pretty solid just like last week. patrick willis will have 42 tackles (or there about). they'll move the ball well, but we'll do better at some of the things muschamp has harped on this week (ripping the ball for example), and we'll win by 10 or so.

this is a really talented, very solid auburn team, but there is no question that this group of guys has a hard time getting up for games like this (msu is the lone exception). i'd be surprised if that trend reversed this weekend.

I think we run a lot...they run some. Their QB gives us a little trouble on the corners...but we win 31-13....

:au::homer:

great responses thus far.

i think we all recognize auburn's ability to not impress at times. i thought the UF game was the best one we've played in a long time...all three facets of the team were clicking...and that's despite no offensive TDs. the O earned their keep in the first half by keeping the ball away from UF (IMO).

as a lifer auburn fan, i long for the days where i know we'll go into a game like this weekend and dominate the way we should. yet, we don't tend to spank anybody...not the way other teams do.

either we can't (from a talent standpoint), or we don't (from a philosophy standpoint), or we aren't psyched up to (coaching?).

at any rate, I'd love for a carefree 2nd half where we fans can relax knowing the outcome isn't in doubt...but like all of you, i'll take a 1-point win and move on, too.

WAR EAGLE

they have a chip on their shoulder about Auburn for some reason.

I believe the name of that chip is Tommy Tuberville.

I don't know, everyone involved with that are gone now at Ole Miss.

It may have some effect but not much. They have to have something to get riled up over

how about uat = Ole Miss, ouch!

Bottom line: This is an SEC road game, and :om: has played tough in Oxford - a win is a win is a win. Hopefully, CTT & Co learned something from :arky: and the early kickoff won't be an issue - it really should be an advantage, of sorts, since we're on the road.

That said, I actually expect to see CAB open up the offense a little. Cox is healthy, and protection has improved. Since :om: will undoubtedly load up the box and sell out against the run, I expect CAB to use play action (and maybe a reverse?) early to get :om: off balance (and establish, finally, some rhythm/tempo that will carry over, hopefully, to the remaining games) and not let the crowd in the game. If the passing game is clicking and we get a 10+ point lead (and the defense looks like it can hold it), then expect CTT to impose a heavy dose of Irons / Lester (/Tate??).

Defensively, we just need to execute. Green-Ellis is a strong, physical runner, and their O-line is improving - no doubt, like :arky: , they'll come right at us. That said, if :au: can (1) win 1st down (i.e., match their physicality and make tackles) and (2) contain / limit any big plays by Schaeffer (doubt we'll see a consistent, Syvelle Newton-like performance out of him), we should be fine.

My $.02.

WAR EAGLE!!! BEAT :om: !!!

:au:

I would like to say one thing. being one of the ones that was negative after Tulane. I was not concerned with the point spread I was and am concerned with us playing down to our opponent. If we play like we played against Fla this is an easy win 21 points at least. If we play like we did against Ark we could lose or keep it too close for comfort. With that being said why is it bammerish to want to see the team crush the Tulanes and Buffalos of the world. we pay them to come and play us and we should crush them not give up tons of yards and play with no fire what so ever. You are right on one point and that is that our level of satisfaction after wins. I will point out that I am frustrated by how we have played at times this year. But is it not a sign of the shape of our program and do we have to always be happy with lackluster performances just because we used to have issues?? Just because we have been very succesful we still have 1 SECC and no MNCs. To me this means we still have work to do and should not say that is all sunshine and rainbows because we used to have real bad seasons. I lived in Auburn during the 3-8 and so on seasons and being a grad until we get the MNC in some form I am worried we will fall back to what we were.

But I will say this we are 7-1 with 2 huge wins over top 10 teams. In the grand scheme of things I am satisfied. But why is it some peoples mission to call somone out for wanting more. WE SHOULD NOT HAVE LOST TO ARK and complacency with the team caused that issue! I want everyone to know that I am not a doom and gloom type guy... I am however sometimes hard to please!!

I expect to see:

1. A win - a shut out would be nice

2. First string players play - they need to be AWAKE!

3. A great offense

4. A great defense

5. NO injuries

I do not want to hear:

1. Complaints about how we win

2. Whatever that obnoxious cheer that Ole Miss does - Hotty Toddy? Sorry, I just remember it being stupid and obnoxious

I think it would be nice if we could have a show off game. Maybe give ESPN a little something to show during the highlights.

1) K. Irons breaks 2 long runs for a total of 100+ yds

2) B. Lester comes in the end of the first quarter, breaks off 6 good runs and chump yards for about 100+ total yds

3) T. Smith comes out after halftime, grinds out the yds and breaks 2 decent runs for about 100+ total

4) B. Tate comes in the 4th quarter, pounds out some more yds, breaks 3 big runs real quick and finishes the day with about 100+ total.

5) Cox goes 10 for 10 for about 200 yds and 2 TD

6) I know i'm dreaming, but man it would be nice to just let go of the frustrations.

War Eagle Baby

Archived