Hypothetical BCS Bowl Question....

cehuff21

Let's say Auburn does win out but doesn't make it to Atlanta simply because Arkansas won out or at least didn't lose twice. Auburn would still have a legimite shot at an AT LARGE BID to the BCS mainly because we would probably be somewhere in the top 5. My question is... Any chance they would pair :au: against :sc: (barring they make the National Championship)? This game would be not only a great game but huge from a publicity standpoint and would probably raking in a **** load of money. I would love to see this happen. Although it wouldn't make up for us getting shafted in 04 it would definitely put a smile on my face :big: if we went in and kicked the crap out them. Any thoughts? :headscratch:

If USC were to win out and be the PAC 10 champ, but not play in the championship game, they would be contractually committed to playing in the Rose Bowl.

Yes, USC would play in the Rose Bowl. But the Big 10 champ will be in the BSC championship game. The Rose bowl has first pick of the at large teams. So this hypothetical situation could happen.

However, it may be more probable that Cal wins the Pac 10 and goes to the Rose Bowl.

Let's say Auburn does win out but doesn't make it to Atlanta simply because Arkansas won out or at least didn't lose twice. Auburn would still have a legimite shot at an AT LARGE BID to the BCS mainly because we would probably be somewhere in the top 5. My question is... Any chance they would pair :au: against :sc: (barring they make the National Championship)? This game would be not only a great game but huge from a publicity standpoint and would probably raking in a **** load of money. I would love to see this happen. Although it wouldn't make up for us getting shafted in 04 it would definitely put a smile on my face :big: if we went in and kicked the crap out them. Any thoughts? :headscratch:

I for one would love to see it too. To me, there's Ohio State, and then there's everybody else this year. Whoever faces tem for the MNC will get demolished. So if it were to come between us getting creamed by Ohio State in the MNCG or whipping some Trojan @$$ for some poetic justice in the Rose Bowl, I'll take the latter.

Auburn getting an at-large BCS spot is definitely a possiblity, but I don't think we will be playing USC in the Rose Bowl. I think the Rose Bowl is going to be USC vs. someone in the Big 10-probably the loser of the Ohio State, Mich game. They are big on Pac-10 vs Big Ten

If we win out, we will either (1) be in the MNC game playing the Ohio State-Mich winner (long shot, but we can dream), (2) be in the Sugar Bowl playing an at-large team (beating the h*ll out of Notre Dame would be awesome). I guess it is possible we could play USC here if they got selected as the at-large. Or (3) in the Orange Bowl playing the ACC champs (and whoever they are, I think we can take 'em).

So there's no chance of playing in the Fiesta Bowl? I mean the real Fiesta Bowl, not the championship game?

The way I see it, if we win out and can't make it to the SEC championship game, we go to either the Fiesta Bowl or the Orange Bowl, unless, the winner of the SEC championship game goes to the NC game, in which case, we would probably go to the Sugar instead of them. A showdown with USC would be fantastic but might not be likely. What about Texas, Michigan, or maybe Notre Dame? Who else would be eligible? Lets say maybe West Virginia. But who else would or could be a potential opponent?

Of course, this all depends on if we win out. Lets beat the Rebs, the Indians, the Dawgs, and the Turds!

Ryan

I'm not positive, but I think there is a chance we could be invited to the Fiesta Bowl as an at-large. I left it off my list b/c I assumed that if we were an at-large either Sugar would take us in the event that the SEC champ was playing in the NC game and there is the traditional Sugar-SEC tie-in, or the Orange Bowl would take us b/c geographically I think that makes more sense than Fiesta as far as fans going to the games...

Just my two cents.

I don't know, I guess it'd be nice to be playing in a BCS bowl game, but I won't really feel any better playing USC. It won't serve any purpose for me. 2004 was a special year and we got shafted. Nothing now will change history, nothing now will make me feel good about it.

Maybe it can't make up for 2004 but hey people this year aren't giving Auburn any credit. They have thought all along that USC is better than us. So why not prove that we are the better team even this year and show them what the SEC is all about and what the Pac-10 is, as Charles Barkley put it, "a cupcake conference."

I would not want to play USC. Pete Carrol is a sick coach when he has more than 1 week to prepare for an opponent. And let's be honest here, our coaches haven't exactly shown a lot of ingenuity this season. The amount of talent on that USC team is unbeleivable. I'm not saying we couldn't or wouldn't win, but out of ten games I would doubt we would win more than 3 or 4.

I would rather play a Notre Dame, who doesn't have a power running offense, and who's defense is suspect. I also wouldn't mind playing Louisville if that was possible. I think both Big East teams are overrated. If we are playing for the MNC than I would prefer us play someone we match up well against and get a win, and not get embarrassed.

What's up here? A learning disability? When are you guys going to learn that it's ONE GAME AT A TIME.

I don't care if we're playing Florida International. We should be thinking about beating those guys convincingly, rather than the endless mental masturbation of "what if?" It annoys me no end, chiefly because we haven't proven that we're ready for prime time yet. Georgia could beat us. Alabama could beat us. Now, if we manage to throttle the rest of our opponents, then let's sit back and enjoy all these scenarios. But this pointless exercise is just going to drive you guys crazy. I certainly hope our team doesn't indulge in it.

I agree with otter. We have not shwon that we are ready to play in the BCS. We need to be ready to play Ole Sis. We have shown that we are not a good enough team to overlook anyone.

We get back just like we got here ONE AT A TIME!!!!

I agree with otter. We have not shwon that we are ready to play in the BCS. We need to be ready to play Ole Sis. We have shown that we are not a good enough team to overlook anyone.

We get back just like we got here ONE AT A TIME!!!!

Well said!

Don't you all know that playing Auburn football is a lot like putting on your pants. One leg at a time! :lol:

But isn't it fun to just speculate..?

Personally, I don't want to think of anything other than beating :om: . No one needs to worry about which bowl we will go to. I hope to be there, no matter what. BUT - we must stay focused on supporting this team ONE GAME AT A TIME! I distinctly remember a few years ago when all we had to do to win the SEC West was win ONE of our last three games. Didn't happen. I just get superstitious about contemplating the bowl game situation - let's not jinx ourselves.

I am just a fan, not a player. If I want to spend my time talking about what ifs, then no harm done. It's not as though I am missing practice or something. Anytime a thread gets started that is forward looking it is immediately bombarded with ONE GAME AT A TIME posts. That's fine, but if someone can point to one thing wrong with talking about possibilities than please do so. Personally, I have the ability to think about not only Ole Miss, but also possibilities for the SECCG and potential BCS matchups. Please allow people who want to find out more about possible scenarios to do so. I am sick of reading threads that get hijacked by people who don't want to post on the topic of the thread. Also, for those in the one game at a time camp, how about if just one person posts it to get the message across?

Also, you guys might want to consider the fact that talking about a potential BCS berth can provide the team and fans with the motivation to start playing and cheering better. It is not a bad thing to have a goal in mind. In fact, most psycologists would probably argue that it makes people perform better. So before you you post it next time, consider the fact that maybe some people don't get energized for games versus Ark st and Tulane unless they realize what the result could mean for the team in the future. We are just fans, we aren't going into battle. Nobody is hurt by playing out scenarios on a message board.

I'm with you jwise0022. No harm in talking about what ifs. We don't play or coach and some people are juts bitten with the superstitious bug. Personally, I believe we will be 11-1 at the end and not going to the SEC championship game. That leaves us as an outside shot at the MNC or the Orange Bowl. The most realistic possibility is the Orange Bowl vs. V. Tech, Boston College, Clemson, or Notre Dame. Just my two cents. I want Notre Dame and bad! I would love to rematch USC, but I don't see it happening unless we meet in Glendale, which is a possibility.

Teams I hope we face in a bowl to earn some real respect are Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, Ohio State. Some of the posts above talking about Ohio State creaming everybody, come on. The Ohio State I have watched this year are not invincible. In fact nobody ever is.

What's up here? A learning disability? When are you guys going to learn that it's ONE GAME AT A TIME.

I don't care if we're playing Florida International. We should be thinking about beating those guys convincingly, rather than the endless mental masturbation of "what if?" It annoys me no end, chiefly because we haven't proven that we're ready for prime time yet. Georgia could beat us. Alabama could beat us. Now, if we manage to throttle the rest of our opponents, then let's sit back and enjoy all these scenarios. But this pointless exercise is just going to drive you guys crazy. I certainly hope our team doesn't indulge in it.

What's up here??? If you don't like talking about it, then go to another freaking thread!!!! What is the point in YOU guys, that don't like, coming into a thread where some folks are talking about it. IF you don't want to talk about....then don't crapping come into a thread to talk about how much you don't like it. How much sense does that make?!?!?!?!? Start your own thread to talk about one game at a time, so I can come into it and talk about how I hate threads about one game at a time, not that I do, but just a what if, hypothethical scenario. Don't bother reading these ( it was blatantly obviously what this thread was about) if you don't like it. SOme of us enjoy these type discussions. Doesn't mean we are not supporting AU and looking at Ole Piss, or overlooking UGA and bama. Just talking about the possibilities of how the bowl games can play out. GEEZ!!!!!!!!

Teams I hope we face in a bowl to earn some real respect are Notre Dame, USC, Michigan, Ohio State. Some of the posts above talking about Ohio State creaming everybody, come on. The Ohio State I have watched this year are not invincible. In fact nobody ever is.

OSU has been impressive, but any given SAturday as they say. Like everybody thinking USC couldn't go down, then they did. I think the OSU/UM matchup is going to be a great ball game. Loser still plays in the BCS as you eluded to. I would love for us to play any of those, but look for AU to get matched up with the non obvious, maybe Boise St, Rutgers (if they finish out undefeated or with one loss), or WVU.

I think if AU can win out, who could possibly see us stay in the BCS top 8..I think that would happen. We would need ND to lose another probably to get the bid. AU could end up playing Texas, L'ville/WVU loser, Cal ( if they win out) in a BCS bowl game. The next few weeks will be interesting, especially to see how USC does against Oregon, Cal, ND, and UCLA. Surely they don't make it through that unscathed??

Okay, totally in the abstract and leaving the Tigers to focus on the Rebs:

Now that the MNC game is a fifth game, I guess the four regular BCS bowls can go back to their conference tie-ins. I know these as far as:

Rose Bowl--Pac 10 vs. Big 10 champs

Sugar Bowl--SEC Champs vs. ??open bid??

Orange Bowl--ACC Champs vs. ??open bid??

Fiesta??

So: Do the other BCS conferences--Big 12 & Big East--have bowl tie-ins (I know the old Big 8 used to be tied to the Orange); and/or does the Fiesta Bowl have any automatic conference ties?

[And yes, I could look this up myself, but I thougth someone here might know off the top of their head and save me the search. Thanks if so!]

Archived