USC Back To The Top???

AUesquire

Southern Cal got knocked off a couple of weeks ago and everyone breathed a sigh of relief, most feeling like they were finally exposed. However, this is a very talented team and capable of beating most everyone on their schedule. With strength of schedule playing such a huge roll in the polls this year, I can foresee the pollsters falling in love with the Trojans again should they run the table the rest of the way. Going on what the local sports talk guy was saying this morning, they face:

Oregon

Cal

Notre Dame

UCLA

Say what you will about the PAC 10 and Notre Dame, but that is a killer stretch for any team in America. I don't see them going unscathed through these last 4, but it's not out of the question either. Does anyone else see the possibility of the pollsters professing their man-love once again for the mighty Trojans and vaulting them over all of us?

It could def happen. I see three possibles playing Ohio St - who I think will beat Mich.

Texas, Fla, or SC. Texas since they are already #4 and I think they'll win out and win the Big12. Fla, because I think if us or Ark win, neither will get in, but if Fla wins, they will be #3 in the next poll, granted the beat S Car. And if SC wins out, I can def see their SOS and the pollsters love for them putting them in it.

I'll go ahead and put money on it that if we get to the SEC champ and win, we won't go.

Kinda funny the only reason Auurn isn't being mentioned more than it is... is because we haven't been killing our lesser opponents... Of course I wouldn't say S. Carolina throwing a prayer in the endzone was a close call and I wouldn't Ole Miss was a close call either it was close game but it was pretty assured we had the win wrapped up. But I do believe USC flirted 3 weeks in a row with a loss... And then finally loss. Not to mention their loss was to Oregon State who is 24th and ours was to Arkansas who is 11. So why are they so highly coveted over us?

IF usc wins out, there is no doubt that they WILL play in the mnc. Media and pollsters will ensure that. It may be close, but I bet usc will beat out a 1 loss Uf. Several teams would beat out a 1 loss AU. Just the way it is.

Kinda funny the only reason Auurn isn't being mentioned more than it is... is because we haven't been killing our lesser opponents... Of course I wouldn't say S. Carolina throwing a prayer in the endzone was a close call

sc dropped a game tying td pass late in the 4th qtr. They gave us more than we bargained for. We have not been very impressive in the media's eyes but we have won all but one. If any team has the ability to score at the end of a game to win that game, then I would definitely call that a CLOSE CALL........

Texas won two close games. They were BEHIND LATE in those games and got lucky that Nebraska fumbled. Yet no love lost on them.

The two games we won close (USC and OLE MISS) we were AHEAD LATE in those games and held on. Granted Florida and LSU were close but those are Top 15 teams. Maybe "experts" see that we have played 4 "close" games.

And I am counting ND's two close games as loses. Those were more than luck to win. They should not be mentioned as a 1 loss team.

So. Cal. will jump anyone if they win out. I may not have a problem with that, I would have a problem with Texas, ND, or a Mich/OSU rematch.

The one thing we have in our favor, assuming we win out, is that no one else has looked overpowering either. But, I'm going to use a phrase here that I just came up with and I want all of you to use often in casual conversation about football in general.

There's still a lot of football left to play!

So remember that next.....wait...what? Somebody already made that up? Well, it's a dang good sayin' anyway.

Texas won two close games. They were BEHIND LATE in those games and got lucky that Nebraska fumbled. Yet no love lost on them.

The two games we won close (USC and OLE MISS) we were AHEAD LATE in those games and held on. Granted Florida and LSU were close but those are Top 15 teams. Maybe "experts" see that we have played 4 "close" games.

And I am counting ND's two close games as loses. Those were more than luck to win. They should not be mentioned as a 1 loss team.

So. Cal. will jump anyone if they win out. I may not have a problem with that, I would have a problem with Texas, ND, or a Mich/OSU rematch.

I'm the last person to stick up for ND, but did they not win the games? No matter what happens, if you have more points on the scoreboard at the end of the game, you win.

Not to mention their loss was to Oregon State who is 24th and ours was to Arkansas who is 11. So why are they so highly coveted over us?

Don't forget they hung 55 on Arkansas, in Fayetteville. I completely understand that was a long time ago, and that was clearly not the same Arkansas team we played... but still... on the road, USC dominated Arkansas, who dominated us at home.

I think AU could beat USC... but I'm not sure if comparing the losses is the way to justify that when appealing to the pollsters.

Let's just beat UGA and Bammer and worry about this stuff later.

I will be at the game and yelling my fool head off. That's about all I can do as far as having an effect on the outcome of those two games. So, I think I'll go ahead and discuss football related issues on the footabll forum. :poke:

I wouldn't have a real problem with a one loss Florida or USC being in the MNCG even if we have 1 loss. Say what you will, but those two teams will have had significantly harder games than AU with the same record. I hope we get a shot, but I think we would not be as deserving as those two. On the other hand, I agree that UF, USC, and AU should all go ahead of a one loss Texas and a one loss ND. Although either ND or USC won't have one loss for sure. I guess if ND beats USC at home than they will at least have one substantial win over a top 10 team which will benefit them, I just think their overall performance this year will not be enough to be deserving. Similarly, who the hell has Texas beat? They lost at home to Ohio St., escaped against TT, and struggled with TA&M. They will have 0 wins vs. the top 10 and maybe 2 top 25 wins. I am hoping Florida and LSU win out so AU can claim 2 top 10 wins.

We should also keep in mind that a 1 loss Cal team will be getting a lot of love should they win out. ESPN really wants a pac 10 or big 12 team to be in the MNCG. I understand USC, but Cal and Texas? why all the love?

I wouldn't have a real problem with a one loss Florida or USC being in the MNCG even if we have 1 loss. Say what you will, but those two teams will have had significantly harder games than AU with the same record. I hope we get a shot, but I think we would not be as deserving as those two. On the other hand, I agree that UF, USC, and AU should all go ahead of a one loss Texas and a one loss ND. Although either ND or USC won't have one loss for sure. I guess if ND beats USC at home than they will at least have one substantial win over a top 10 team which will benefit them, I just think their overall performance this year will not be enough to be deserving. Similarly, who the hell has Texas beat? They lost at home to Ohio St., escaped against TT, and struggled with TA&M. They will have 0 wins vs. the top 10 and maybe 2 top 25 wins. I am hoping Florida and LSU win out so AU can claim 2 top 10 wins.

We should also keep in mind that a 1 loss Cal team will be getting a lot of love should they win out. ESPN really wants a pac 10 or big 12 team to be in the MNCG. I understand USC, but Cal and Texas? why all the love?

Florida I would have a problem with. When you have two teams with the same record and basically the same schedule (I think UF's is easier than AU's) and one of those teams beat the other head to head, then there is really no question which one should be ranked higher. Polls suck.

For the record? I think Florida should be ranked below Auburn and Arkansas above. Notre Dame should not be in the Top 25.

Umm why aren't our wins "impressive" but USCal's are?

09/02 at Arkansas W 50-14

09/16 #19 Nebraska W 28-10

09/23 at Arizona W 20-3

09/30 at Wash St W 28-22

10/07 Washington W 26-20

10/14 Arizona St W 28-21

10/28 at Oregon St L 33-31

11/04 at Stanford W 42-0

11/11 #21 Oregon 10:15 PM

11/18 #8 California 8:00 PM

11/25 #9 N Dame 8:00 PM

12/02 at UCLA 4:30 PM

They beat Wash St. by only 6, a team we dominated.

They beat a Washington team that is 4-6 by 6 pts.

They beat an Az St. team by only 7

They haven't blown out anyone except Stanford who hasn't won this year and Arkansas who is a VERY different team now. I will give it to them that this win was impressive but that is one game.

I think the next couple of weeks will define USC. I don't know if they win out anyway, they havn't looked dominant against a team that was well put together this year.

And lets not forget that their loss to the powerhouse Oregon State is a 6-3 including a 13-6 loss to Wash St. Arkansas is still 8-1.

Umm why aren't our wins "impressive" but USCal's are?

09/02 at Arkansas W 50-14

09/16 #19 Nebraska W 28-10

09/23 at Arizona W 20-3

09/30 at Wash St W 28-22

10/07 Washington W 26-20

10/14 Arizona St W 28-21

10/28 at Oregon St L 33-31

11/04 at Stanford W 42-0

11/11 #21 Oregon 10:15 PM

11/18 #8 California 8:00 PM

11/25 #9 N Dame 8:00 PM

12/02 at UCLA 4:30 PM

They beat Wash St. by only 6, a team we dominated.

They beat a Washington team that is 4-6 by 6 pts.

They beat an Az St. team by only 7

They haven't blown out anyone except Stanford who hasn't won this year and Arkansas who is a VERY different team now. I will give it to them that this win was impressive but that is one game.

I think the next couple of weeks will define USC. I don't know if they win out anyway, they havn't looked dominant against a team that was well put together this year.

And lets not forget that their loss to the powerhouse Oregon State is a 6-3 including a 13-6 loss to Wash St. Arkansas is still 8-1.

You guys are ridiculous. Florida's schedule is not easier than ours. That is stupid. My points were if UF and USC only have one loss at the end. UF only loss would be at auburn. Having beaten: Ten, South Car, LSU, UGA, AL, Vandy, Kentucky, FSU, and then Arky or AU in SECCG. USC will have beaten NDU, Nebraska, UCLA, Cal, Oregon, WSU, Wash, etc.

Now come on, AU can't point to "oh well, USC only beat USC by this much..." when they beat Arky at Arky. As AU fans you should know better than to point to margin of victory because we have not been impressive. AU's better argument is that we will have beaten two top 10 teams, not that USC only beat WSu by 6. Anyone who knows anything about football knows its about matchups. That is why Arky can't beat USC but pretty much dominated us. It doesn't mean USC is better than us, it does mean that they are better than ARk and we aren't.

Either OSU or Meechigan is going to lose.

Florida won't lose any more.

Texas won't lose any more.

If Auburn does not lose any more, how can USC jump OSU/Michigan, Florida, Texas, AND Auburn into the #2 spot in the few remaining weeks? I just don't see it.

If FSU beats Wake Forest and X Lee looks impressive in the win, they will take UF. I know that's a wild prediction but if Lee comtinues to progress the way he has so far, FSU suddenly becomes a dangerous team. Heck, Vandy gave the Gators all they wanted.

I didn’t want to start a new thread with this, so I am jamming into the first USC thread that I saw.

I came across the gem on a USC board ...

Re: Question regarding parking: I'll be a late arrival tomorrrow

I think the KFC on Figueroa and 39th St. is charging only $80 a car to park. Although this is Homecoming, so the price may be higher...

My Mind on My Money

ONLY $80 a car.

That should help you appreciate the gameday experience at AU a little more.

Carry on.

Either OSU or Meechigan is going to lose.

Florida won't lose any more.

Texas won't lose any more.

If Auburn does not lose any more, how can USC jump OSU/Michigan, Florida, Texas, AND Auburn into the #2 spot in the few remaining weeks? I just don't see it.

Look up the 1983 Bowl game. #1 lost, #2 lost, we were #3, I don't remember who #4 was - it doesn't matter. Miami was #5, they won, the polls jumped them to #1 OVER US. I'm still pissed about that.

Archived