First 2008 Committ!!!

TigerfanKM

I just heard we received a verbal today from 6-2, 180lb Damion Allen out of Orlando, FL. He will be a senior this coming season, was a Jr All State selection (in FL keep in mind!) and his coach said he thinks he will be the #1 rated WR in FL after this season. WOW!!!! War Eagle!!!!

and his coach said he thinks he will be the #1 rated WR in FL after this season. WOW!!!! War Eagle!!!!

His coach is just being polite.

In all honesty, there are severa WRs in Florida who are better. Kind of surprising that we'd take Allen this early.

i know its not surprising to start getting one or two early commits for next year about this time but according to rivals Texas A&M already has 14 for the class of 2008. :blink:

This may not be a bad choice at all. This kid was the only junior on the all-state team in Florida last year and is expected to be one of, if not THE top receiver in Florida this coming year. War Eagle!

Given that next year will be a small class anyway, and if CTT & Co. get as many early commits as last year, we could have most of our schollies filled before fall!

But I guess it's important to get 'em committed early so Nick the Hypocrite will know which ones to try (and fail) to steal while condemning his own for "shopping around". :rolleyes:

Those in the know are saying he's the "deep threat" kind of guy we need. Regardless of whether he's THE top WR in Florida, he is one of them, which in turn means he's most likely one of the best in the country too. If he turns out to be another Devin A., then that's good enough for me.

This may not be a bad choice at all. This kid was the only junior on the all-state team in Florida last year and is expected to be one of, if not THE top receiver in Florida this coming year. War Eagle!

He's not man.

For one thing, Allen made the HONORABLE MENTION All State team (and thats for Class 6A only, its really not a ranking among ALL players in Florida). Each classification gets a First Team, Second Team, Third Team, and Honorable Mention Team listing.

Secondly, he wasn't the only JR on the All-State team, far from it. WR Alderius Johnson (the REAL top WR in Florida next year, a Top 10 WR nationally at this point) made the FIRST TEAM in the 6A classification (remember that Allen made Honorable Mention). Johnson's JR WR teammate, Tommy Streeter, made the 6A SECOND TEAM.

Allen is a good player, but I'd have to say that he's likely in the Top 5 to 10 when ranking WRs in Florida next year, at this point. Guys in front of him off the top of my head: Alderius Johnson, Montavious Odoms, Melvin Ray, Darius Morgan, Tommy Streeter. Then theres a second group of guys who are just as good as Allen, with some likely being better as well.

Killing us with the semantics, meta. Does it really matter? Some of the best ones in high school will either not qualify or be busts anyway. At least we know he has the potential.

Killing us with the semantics, meta. Does it really matter? Some of the best ones in high school will either not qualify or be busts anyway. At least we know he has the potential.

Yes, it does matter when people are hyping him to be something he isn't. He isn't the top WR in Florida and likely wont even be close, either. I dont see the point in overhyping a guy for no reason, because it only bites you in the ass later when he doesn't end up living up to said expectations. Allen is a nice player, but like I said, its a bit surprising that we'd accept his commitment this early...especially since we weren't ready to give him a commitable offer about a week or two ago when he tried to commit publically. Right now I'd compare him to a guy like Alex Rose, a good player that I'd take in any class...but I'm not sure about taking him this early, in a class that will be smaller than past years', when there are still several bigger WRs on our radar. I've heard that this commitment could mean that our coaching staff isn't that confident in our ability to land some of the bigger names on our board, which would make sense. We'll see, Allen could explode and end up being a major steal, this could also end up being a Dequan Bembry type situation where we take a guy too early and find later on that there are better players lined up that want to commit as well.

He's not man.

For one thing, Allen made the HONORABLE MENTION All State team (and thats for Class 6A only, its really not a ranking among ALL players in Florida). Each classification gets a First Team, Second Team, Third Team, and Honorable Mention Team listing.

Secondly, he wasn't the only JR on the All-State team, far from it. WR Alderius Johnson (the REAL top WR in Florida next year, a Top 10 WR nationally at this point) made the FIRST TEAM in the 6A classification (remember that Allen made Honorable Mention). Johnson's JR WR teammate, Tommy Streeter, made the 6A SECOND TEAM.

Allen is a good player, but I'd have to say that he's likely in the Top 5 to 10 when ranking WRs in Florida next year, at this point. Guys in front of him off the top of my head: Alderius Johnson, Montavious Odoms, Melvin Ray, Darius Morgan, Tommy Streeter. Then theres a second group of guys who are just as good as Allen, with some likely being better as well.

debbiedownerbh3.jpg

It doesn't matter that much when we're talking about potential...

Some players that were three stars or less...

Karibi Dede

Ben Grubbs

Lee Guess (2 stars)

Will Herring

Anthony Mix

Courtney Taylor

Kody Bliss

Eric Brock

King Dunlap

Marquies Gunn (2 stars)

David Irons

Kevin Sears

Carl Stewart

John Vaughn

Tristan Davis

Steve Gandy

Brad Lester !!!

Jae Wilhite

Honestly, these guys have all started, and a lot of them are huge playmakers for us. I don't want to say this kid is the next Devin Aromashoudu (sp?) but he certainly has the potential, and why not get excited about him? If he's a bust, so be it, but confidence can go a long way and if people are talking about him, I can't imagine he's gonna walk into practice and say, geez, I don't think I can do this...

Honestly, these guys have all started, and a lot of them are huge playmakers for us. I don't want to say this kid is the next Devin Aromashoudu (sp?) but he certainly has the potential, and why not get excited about him?

Then why even talk about recruiting at all? We could sign 25 one-stars every year and use the same: "he has potential" arguement. Of course he has potential, every player we sign HAS potential. You think the coaching staff targets players who they think DONT have potential? Allen is a GOOD player, I already admitted that. What I'm shooting down is the out-of-nowhere reports that claim he is the best WR in Florida (he isn't) and that he was the only Junior on the All-State team (he wasn't). If he was THAT good, then why havn't we heard more about him, and why havn't the big-three in Florida shown more interest? Both Rivals and Scout rank several Florida WRs higher at this point, and Florida Varsity didn't even have Allen listed on their initial Florida Top 100 for next year if I remember correctly. I think that Allen COULD be a 4-star if he has a big SR season, but even some of the insiders I speak with were a bit surprised that we let him commit this early.

Honestly, these guys have all started, and a lot of them are huge playmakers for us. I don't want to say this kid is the next Devin Aromashoudu (sp?) but he certainly has the potential, and why not get excited about him?

Then why even talk about recruiting at all? We could sign 25 one-stars every year and use the same: "he has potential" arguement. Of course he has potential, every player we sign HAS potential. You think the coaching staff targets players who they think DONT have potential? Allen is a GOOD player, I already admitted that. What I'm shooting down is the out-of-nowhere reports that claim he is the best WR in Florida (he isn't) and that he was the only Junior on the All-State team (he wasn't). If he was THAT good, then why havn't we heard more about him, and why havn't the big-three in Florida shown more interest? Both Rivals and Scout rank several Florida WRs higher at this point, and Florida Varsity didn't even have Allen listed on their initial Florida Top 100 for next year if I remember correctly. I think that Allen COULD be a 4-star if he has a big SR season, but even some of the insiders I speak with were a bit surprised that we let him commit this early.

Fine, shoot down talk of "best WR in florida" but don't downplay this guy as a poor player.

Archived