Shanehead's 2/13 Article

AUChizad

This isn't new, but I just stumbled accross this article from Shanehead. His ignorance and delusion truly never ceases to amaze me.

crap

Due to the great amount of interest in my column from February 24, 2006, I thought I would present it again for discussion.

After hearing the fortunes of Alabama and Auburn’s football programs discussed on the Paul Finebaum Radio Network for the past several weeks, and knowing spring training approaches, I feel inspired to address an issue that has been on the tip of my pen for some time.

Let me put it bluntly, the University of Alabama in its worst shape is better than Auburn University operating at full strength. There are reasons that clearly illustrate the monstrous gap between the two schools when viewed from a rational perspective. In the following paragraphs, I will give several examples that will help readers understand my point.

First and foremost, the Auburn campus is located within the Alabama state lines – in the shadow of the Bear. Paul W. Bryant put his permanent stamp in the minds of every Auburn coach, player and fan for eternity. He dominated and abused the Tigers to the point where they would forever measure themselves by his and Crimson Tide standards.

Second, look at the national respect Alabama has earned and received throughout history. Alabama has 12 national championships. Auburn has 1. The Crimson Tide has 21 SEC Championship trophies – the Tigers have 7. Alabama holds the national record for bowl appearances – 53, and the national record for bowl wins – 30. Bama has 28 ten win seasons – another NCAA record. Auburn doesn't even merit honorable mention in the last 3 or 4 categories I stated above. These honors for Bama are not a knock on Auburn, but I can understand why they would be envious.

To understand the third phase of my discussion we must first forget that Alabama leads the overall series with Auburn by 7 games. We will have to omit the fact that the Tide was playing without 21 scholarship players and crippled from one of the NCAA’s most punitive penalties ever issued. I'll ask you to forget that Coach Fran, who shellacked Auburn in 2001, gave the game to Tubby out of spite for his parting shot at Alabama in 2002. I want us to overlook the narrow Auburn victories and be proud that during Alabama’s most crippled era in history, Auburn has won 4 in a row. I know my previous statement may seem anti-climatic to most, but it apparently means everything to the Auburn family. Therefore, I'll give them credit for the streak. However, any reasonable person would put an asterisk by the record due to Alabama’s weakened state.

Lastly, let me say that I didn't create the favored status Alabama is blessed with from the national press. I can’t explain why Auburn, at 13-0, was shut out of the National Championship game and was just an afterthought to the national media. I do know why the Crimson Tide’s 10-2 season was recognized by the AP and Alabama gets the favorable press. Bottom line, the AP and the coaches believe that Alabama is better than Auburn – both ranked Bama higher in the final polls. Unlike Auburn, the Crimson Tide has tradition and actually earned a spot at the top of football’s elite.

One more thing, I think Auburn has failed to put Alabama away and the window is now closed. Auburn is what it is, and Tuberville will continue to milk the obsessed Aubies while promising to win it all. He has made a fortune on Alabama’s misfortunes with the NCAA. Tommy knows he can’t win the big one at Auburn as evidenced in 2004, so he has made the state rivalry a focal point to expand his paycheck.

I’m sure the readers of this column everywhere want to know what it’s like to be so honest when comparing Alabama to Auburn. It’s easy – I just tell the truth. Can you handle the truth?

SSDD. Yet bammers have no idea why everyone thinks they are one of the most arrogant fan bases...

I wish I had a nickel for every time some oblivious bama fan has said the same thing over the last few years. Afterall, all Bama fans are all knowing. Fran is not ever gonig to leave them, just ask Shane.etc.

What exactly did he mean by AU not putting Alabama away? They beat Bama 4 times in a row as he said....seems like AU did put Bama away during the last few years.

Was AU supposed to murder some players/coaches or put more probation on Bama or something?

the only truth is they have to keep telling themselves this bs or their fragile world ceases to exist.

Auburn owns uat, and is superior in every way. uat IS the original red headed stepchild.

same old same old.

Bama fan1: Awwwww sh*t, Cletus, we just lost to Auburn ageein. How the hell can we face that big time Aubie Business man I owe $500.

Bama fan2: Sheeeeeeit, I reckin' we don't even have t'worry, ya see, see'in as the Tide is still better than Auburn.

Bama fan1: What? What do you mean Cletus?

Bama fan2: Dayum Cletus, you're stupider than a 10 point buck walking through Tuscaloosa! Alabama is still better cause we won all those games back when our daddies were janitors at the University.

Bama fan1: You're right, Hey, now that you mention it, that Aubie owes ME money, cause no matter what, Alabama comes out a winner! That'll teach him to bet against the Tide!

Bama fan2: Row tahhhd.

Bama fan1: Row tahhhd.

Every time a Bama fan bring up ancient history I respond with (assuming I bother to respond): "You know, you're right, Bama had some fabulous years a long time ago. Of course, 2000 years ago Rome was kicking everyone's butt. Guess they're still the world's dominant military power..."

Alabama holds the national record for bowl appearances – 53, and the national record for bowl wins – 30.

Give them Trojans two more years and they will definetly have that record.

ALABAMA BOWL RECORD IS 30-21-3

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BOWL RECORD IS 29-16

For comparison

NEBRASKA BOWL RECORD IS 22-22

FLORIDA STATE BOWL RECORD IS 21-13-2

FLORIDA BOWL RECORD IS 17-18

AUBURN BOWL RECORD IS 18-13-2

TENNESSEE BOWL RECORD IS 24-22, As the bammer would say, "Fat Phil is gaining ground fast"

LOUISIANA STATE BOWL RECORD IS 20-18-1

link

looks like shane has a little obsession problem.

it would seem that a point so self-evident as he seems to think his point is would not need four points to support it.

shane: the typical bama fan.

I'm going to try and step outside the Auburn love for a second:

He's not right with what he's saying, however, with the way college football is set up, Bama would get more recognition if they were winning. The poll voters seem to be all about tradition and are quick to vote traditional powerhouses high. Take USC as an example - they were out of the limelight for 15 or so years and as soon as they developed a good football team, they were ranked in the top ten. Florida St and Miami have both been preseasonally ranked in the top ten every year for the past few years and both have gone on to have mediocre seasons. Michigan wins one football game against Notre Dame and they get pushed up to being a national title contender even though Lloyd Carr was in danger of being fired. Notre Dame hasn't won a bowl game in 12 years yet they put up a decent fight against USC one year and get a ton of hype the following year. Fresno ST put up a good fight against USC but they didn't any love. Heck, Oregon St beat USC this year and I bet they aren't ranked in the top 25 at the start of the year next year. If Bama starts winning again, they will get a lot of love from the media because they are a traditional powerhouse. I'm very happy to play them at the very end of the season because if they ever do get a high ranking, it will be so much more fun to beat them. Although, in reality I don't believe we will have to worry about Bama being a powerhouse again for a while. Saban won't do it but he may set up whoever takes over after him to have a few good years at Bama.

Me too....

Our tradition goes back to BEFORE John Heisman (who coached at AU). We played the FIRST game in the deep South, and won it...beating UGA.

Bamar tradushun=cheating!!! See Harper's Bazarre article from the 1920's!!!

:au::homer:

Me too....

Our tradition goes back to BEFORE John Heisman (who coached at AU). We played the FIRST game in the deep South, and won it...beating UGA.

Saying John Heisman coached at Auburn is true but misleading, he coached at like 6 other schools. He coached 5 years at auburn and only lost 4 games the whole time. Other facts of interest, while at Georgia Tech, he defeated the Cumberland College Bulldogs 222-0. Ga Tech scored on every possession.

Me too....

Saying John Heisman coached at Auburn is true but misleading, he coached at like 6 other schools. He coached 5 years at auburn and only lost 4 games the whole time. Other facts of interest, while at Georgia Tech, he defeated the Cumberland College Bulldogs 222-0. Ga Tech scored on every possession.

Why is that misleading?

He coached for 5 years.

It's not like he was a Mike Price type situation.

Archived