You guys need a Wonderlic class

BamaGrad03

2 years running an AU guy gets the lowest score.

T-1. David Irons, CB, Auburn (4)

T-1. Bo Smith, S, Weber State (4)

3. Earl Everett, OLB, Florida (5)

T-4. James Jones, WR, San Jose State (9)

T-4. Turk McBride, DT, Tennessee (9)

T-4. Julius Wilson, OT, UAB (9)

T-7. Brandon Mebane, DT, Cal (10)

T-7. Matt Trannon, WR, Michigan State (10)

T-9. Baraka Atkins, DE, Miami (11)

T-9. Alonzo Coleman, RB, Hampton (11)

A freaking 4? Really? You know a 10 is considered illiterate.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you were half as smart as you think you are, you would know that IQ tests are flawed, and they show a bias based on who writes the test. You could see where a test written by a white 60 year old PhD in the Northeast wouldn't test the intelligence fairly of a young black man in the south. I'm not saying conspiracy, just that its not an accurate predictor of intelligence. It doesn't explain him doing more poorly than other test takers however.

I don't think David Irons was the sharpest knife in the drawer either. I think it was known he had a learning disability and one of the reasons he went the junior college route before coming to Auburn.

Don't give me that racially or culturally biased crap.

English is English. Math is Math.

Having to figure out an analogy on a test or know what number comes next in a series has NOTHING to do with your ethnic or cultural background.

IQ tests are actually a very good measure of your abilities. That's why they can give them to 10 year olds and its a pretty solid predictor of how that kid is going to pan out in terms of brain power.

And just because we don't make up tests that test uneducated people in the very small part of the world that they have knowledge...doesn't mean tests are biased either. It means...in the REAL world...they wouldn't know nearly as much as they should.

So the 60 year old PHD in the northeast does different math than in the south? How about those trains leaving from Chicago and Columbus? Would the young black man in the south be better able to tell when they will arrive if they were leaving from Birmingham and Atlanta?

I'd like to add a little bit of side commentary that has nothing to do with David Irons. He could be as dumb as a box of rocks, and he will still make more money than I will ever see. And we had our own last year when Freddie Roach made an 8 or 10.

These kinds of excuses that you made are EXACTLY what is wrong with America. We constantly pander to the lowest common denominator. You don't know basic arithmetic and english? That's ok...we wont make you learn it. We will just make an "ebonics" class so you can make up your own language. Oh you are an immigrant and dont WANT to learn English? Oh that's fine, we will make everything in America be written in English and Spanish.

Instead of giving these people crutches so they can limp through high school, and sometimes college...only to have the real world take a huge bite out of their ass....why not STOP making excuses for these people and make them do the work? There's nothing culturally biased about the need for hard work. And the fact that many many minorities ace school and standardized tests is merely a testament to how un-culturally biased these tests are. The problem is, many of those minorities are considered sellouts by their own piers just because they get a good education.

And every Bama player has done well on the Wonderlic.

No, they haven't. I even pointed that out about Freddie Roach in my last post. However, I think it looks bad if the same University that is taking heat for their SACS stuff and the Sociology stuff (even if its unfounded)...has the back to back lowest Wonderlic scores in two consecutive NFL drafts.

Auburn needs to do something to better prepare these kids for this test. Either they aren't stressing to them how important it actually is in terms of their draft status, or these kids just dont care.

Or worse, this is the best they could do. And if that is the case, these kids have NO BUSINESS getting a degree from any University. We aren't talking about a bad score. We are talking about a score that most 6th graders could achieve.

I guess you also fail to mention that an Auburn player scored the 3rd highest.

Best 10 scores

1. Justin Blalock, G, Texas (41)

2. Anthony Pudewell, TE, Nevada (39)

3. Kody Bliss, PK, Auburn (38)

T-4. Jon Cornish, RB, Kansas (37)

T-4. Brandon Harrison, S, Stanford (37)

T-6. Scott Chandler, TE, Iowa (36)

T-6. Daniel Sepulveda, PT, Baylor (36)

T-6. Jared Zabransky, QB, Boise State (36)

9. Jordan Kent, WR, Oregon (35)

10. John Beck, QB, BYU (34)

Well how about this little tid bit of info. Auburn as a whole scores higher than Bama.

link

Yeah, and if all of AU's guys were scoring 18.5s (compared to our 18.2) this wouldn't be a problem.

But when a guy scores a 4 and gets a degree from your university...it SHOULD raise a red flag. When it happens 2 years in a row...it doesn't look good.

I'm not dogging the academic standards of Auburn. It's a great state institution and I'm proud of where they rank overall academically. But they NEED to do something to better prepare these kids on the lower end of the scale when it comes to this wonderlic test.

I for one don't take it as fact because someone took the time to post it here. I'm not doubting it, well, maybe I am, but I prefer to see actual proof instead of taking peoples word for it. That being said: Link please....

Personally, I couldnt care less. Shows how hard he really had to work to graduate college.

Link?

Link?

The two years in a row thing is fishy, too. I'm not buying this. Bogus.

Well the scores are on ESPN insider per Todd McShay. If you have insider you can see them plain as day.

And you are right it wasn't 2 years in a row. It was 2 out of 3 years. In 2005 Junior Rosegreen scored an embarassing 2 on his wonderlic. One of the lowest in the history of the NFL draft.

... I'm not dogging the academic standards of Auburn. It's a great state institution and I'm proud of where they rank overall academically. But they NEED to do something to better prepare these kids on the lower end of the scale when it comes to this wonderlic test.

Totally disagree. It's not AU's responsibility to prepare its students to take this particular test administered to players drafted into the NFL. For that matter, it's not any school's responsibility. The test is used by some teams as another tool to evaluate a potential draftee. If you think poor test scores are some kind of indictment against a school's academic rigor, that's great. That's your prerogative. This is strictly on the player. Some care about it, some don't.

Totally disagree. It's not AU's responsibility to prepare its students to take this particular test administered to players drafted into the NFL. For that matter, it's not any school's responsibility. The test is used by some teams as another tool to evaluate a potential draftee. If you think poor test scores are some kind of indictment against a school's academic rigor, that's great. That's your prerogative. This is strictly on the player. Some care about it, some don't.

You're right. It doesn't make AU look bad at all.

You're right. It doesn't make AU look bad at all.

Only to you.

Well the scores are on ESPN insider per Todd McShay. If you have insider you can see them plain as day.

And you are right it wasn't 2 years in a row. It was 2 out of 3 years. In 2005 Junior Rosegreen scored an embarassing 2 on his wonderlic. One of the lowest in the history of the NFL draft.

haha. I see Junior at the SAC all the time. He doesnt seem like a dumb guy if you spend some time around him. Maybe he did it just to be funny or something.

Yeah, David isn't that smart. Thanks Captain Obvious for pointing that out. But after hearing Joakim Noah "talk" the other night after winning the national title, I'm not so sure he wouldn't get below a 4 on that sucker.

BG, yeah you proved that you are so much smarter than all those guys going pro. But, in the money department, they can all beat your butt. Now, who's the smart one?

BG, yeah you proved that you are so much smarter than all those guys going pro. But, in the money department, they can all beat your butt. Now, who's the smart one?

Obviously, I am also smarter than you. Because I know how to read.

From the first page of this thread quoting myself:

I'd like to add a little bit of side commentary that has nothing to do with David Irons. He could be as dumb as a box of rocks, and he will still make more money than I will ever see. And we had our own last year when Freddie Roach made an 8 or 10.

Ok, I think that is just wrong, and I don't care what team you favor. After these young men graduate and are no longer playing for the university, I just don't think it is any of our business to know these personal things about them. Why aren't facts like this kept a secret? Why should these scores be posted?

Archived