Saddam left for the Soldiers?

DKW 86

That article has a decidedly anti-American slant to it, as if what the American troops did was somehow diminished. Let the record show that US GIs did capture SH and that SH was armed with a sidearm & 2 AK-47s nearby. He could have fought to the bitter end or he could have offed himself, drugged or not. He still had enough presence of mind to to identify himself & say in English after being captured, "I want to negotiate."

As for being held prisoner for the reward money, I don't doubt that at all. Here's DebkaFile's take on it:

Not Hiding, but a Captive

I find it hard to believe that if Kurdish forces had Saddam, that they would have left him in one piece for anyone to find...

Exactly my thoughts.

Well, the thought of $25 M in your pocket can make a person do all kinds of things.

Remember, this is still very much a tribal region. Even the Kurds have a lot of factions among them as a people.

What's funny is the initials of the faction known as Patriotic Union of Kurdistan -- PUK. Somebody needs to tell them what that means in English. :lol:

I was wondering if anyone else was struck by the wishy washy nature of the article. No hard quaotes there, at least to WEN/AUN standards...lol

Although he had weapons, does anyone know if he had rounds for them? Another article I'd read (looked but can't find it, but if I do I will) said that the Kurds may have been negotiating with us for more governmental power when that time comes.

I talked about this at church fxn tonight. I was reminded that the Kurds hate Saddam as bad as Jews hate Hitler. If we did ever get him from the Kurds, it would have been in multiple body bags.

Archived