The SEC in 2007

BAMMERPERRY

I find that an essential tool for grilling is a meat thermometer, preferably one of those wireless ones. I have not ruined a steak since I started using one.

I have actually never used a thermometer for anything but checking grease tempeture. Always been my feeling you can't ruin a good piece of meat and there is nothing you can do to help a bad one.

So how well do the electronic ones work? I still have the old fashioned kind where you have to sit there and watch the needle rise until it finally stops on the temperature.

I don't trust those digital ones. I prefer the old fashioned thermometer.

Ditto what Howard said. The best gauge I've found to go by when grilling is either the martini or the cigar method. It takes trial and error to master, but when you've got it down pat, you'll never go wrong.

Had an uncle that grilled his steaks via the budweiser method. Cook one side for half a beer, then flip it over and cook it until the beer is gone. Said it takes discipline to cook this way. You have to resist the urge to drink the beer too fast.

So how well do the electronic ones work? I still have the old fashioned kind where you have to sit there and watch the needle rise until it finally stops on the temperature.

With mine, I can set the target temperature and it will beep when that temperature is reached. I can carry the readout instrument with me as I continue to prepare side dishes in the kitchen. It also works in the oven when roasting meat.

i have a digital one and i love it. i go the type with the long cord so you can put the unit away from the grill/oven and just let the meat cook. the thing actually tells you "food is ready in 20 minutes"

i used it for the first time yesterday on the smoker and the pork came out fantastic. i only opened the grill one time to flip the meat and it def. came out in the overall flavor.

Don't really use a thermometer on anything that's not real thick, like a steak or chicken. I will use that with pork loins and much thicker cuts that I don't want to cut open to check. The degree of doneness doesn't matter that much to me. But, my wife has to have it carbonized through and through before she'll take a bite.

I don't trust those digital ones. I prefer the old fashioned thermometer.

Ditto what Howard said. The best gauge I've found to go by when grilling is either the martini or the cigar method. It takes trial and error to master, but when you've got it down pat, you'll never go wrong.

Had an uncle that grilled his steaks via the budweiser method. Cook one side for half a beer, then flip it over and cook it until the beer is gone. Said it takes discipline to cook this way. You have to resist the urge to drink the beer too fast.

I think my steak would be near raw.

I find that an essential tool for grilling is a meat thermometer, preferably one of those wireless ones. I have not ruined a steak since I started using one.

no, no, no! never pierce your meat with a thermometer. It'll lose essential juices that way. press the meat with your pointer finger to figure it's rigidity. The softer the feel, the less done it is. It may take a few tries to perfect, but your meat will be juicier than you can imagine.

With steaks I use the palm of the hand method. When the steak has about the same "give" as the upper meaty part of the palm of your hand it is done about medium rare. The closer in consistency it feels to the lower part of your palm the more done it is.

handvx5.jpg

With steaks I use the palm of the hand method. When the steak has about the same "give" as the upper meaty part of the palm of your hand it is done about medium rare. The closer in consistency it feels to the lower part of your palm the more done it is.

handvx5.jpg

I see atleast second degree burns coming from this thread.

handvx5.jpg

Whoa. For a second there, I thought that was Liger's date from the other night.

handvx5.jpg

Whoa. For a second there, I thought that was Liger's date from the other night.

BURN!

Archived