Adventures of the Nanny State...

NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Comer Wilson hasn't had to show his ID to buy beer in a while. Maybe it's the 66-year-old man's long white beard. Starting Sunday, gray hair won't be good enough. Wilson and everyone else will be required to show identification before buying beer in Tennessee stores — no matter how old the buyer appears.

"It's the stupidest law I ever heard of," Wilson said. "You can see I'm over 21."

Tennessee is the first state to make universal carding mandatory, says the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association. However, the law does not apply to beer sales in bars and restaurants, and it does not cover wine and liquor.

Supporters say it keeps grocery store and convenience store clerks from having to guess a customer's age. Democratic Gov. Phil Bredesen said it's a good way to address the problems of underage drinking.

And the 63-year-old governor said he personally won't mind the extra effort to buy beer.

"I'll be very pleased when I'm carded, and in my mind I'll just imagine it's because I look so young," he said.

Rich Foge, executive director of the Tennessee Malt Beverage Association, said he expects there might be some initial resistance from the beer-buying public.

"But once people live with it for a month or two, it's going to go fine," he said. "It gets routine after a while."

Jarron Springer, president of the Tennessee Grocers and Convenience Store Association, said he understands the law "may seem a little odd" to people who are obviously older than 21, but he said it's necessary to make sure no one slips through the cracks.

"If we're going to hold clerks accountable for their actions, then there's no room for discretion," Springer said. "It's either all or nothing."

The blanket requirement makes it easier for stores to comply, said Steve Schmidt, spokesman for the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association

"There's no need to judge whether someone looks 21, 25 or 30," he said. "It's a set, consistent standard across the entire state."

Richard Rollins, who owns a convenience store in Nashville, is already using a computerized scanner to check everyone's driver's licenses when they buy beer. "We just say we're trying to keep our beer permit, and this is the safest way," Rollins said.

But it has stopped Jeff Campbell from shopping at Rollins' market.

"I don't mind them asking for my ID, but they don't need my driver's license number," said Campbell, 43. "I'm just buying a six-pack. All they need to know is how old I am."

Rollins said scanning licenses has proved beneficial in other ways, such as catching criminals.

When one customer tried to make a purchase using a counterfeit bill, Rollins said police were able to track him down because the receipt from the scanner showed his name and license number — and his address.

The new law, which expires after a year unless the Legislature decides to renew it, also creates a voluntary training program for vendors and their employees. Participating businesses would face lower fines if found guilty of selling beer to a minor, and their beer permits cannot be revoked on a first offense.

However, they face fines of up to $1,000 for each underage sale and they lose their status if they commit two violations in a 12-month period. Another violation could mean suspension or revocation of a license, and fine of up to $2,500.

Noncertified vendors can face those penalties on a first offense.

Marylee Booth, executive director of the Tennessee Oil Marketers Association, which represents gas stations and convenience stores, said the intention is not to hurt vendors, but to help them protect minors.

"We're doing everything we can to keep minors from buying beer," Booth said. "This is just one more tool we want to try."

Tennessee is the first state to make universal carding mandatory, says the National Alcohol Beverage Control Association. However, the law does not apply to beer sales in bars and restaurants, and it does not cover wine and liquor.

Why just make it for buying beer then? I don't understand why you would leave out wine and especially liquor-- which I think can be more dangerous if you are binge drinking--- seems like these should require the same check if you are concerned about fake IDs.

Richard Rollins, who owns a convenience store in Nashville, is already using a computerized scanner to check everyone's driver's licenses when they buy beer. "We just say we're trying to keep our beer permit, and this is the safest way," Rollins said.

Most of the bars and clubs in the DC area require your ID to be scanned before entering. Too many people have been busted for letting underage people in with fake IDs. This just ensures that your ID is real, and that the name that comes up when its scanned is the same name on the front.

I do have a problem though with this information being stored. Once the info is verified by the cashier or bouncer, it should be erased from the scanner's memory. There is no need for big brother to be tracking this stuff... not to mention, there is no guarantee that this information can't be stolen. I see another potential for major ID theft here.

Why just make it for buying beer then? I don't understand why you would leave out wine and especially liquor-- which I think can be more dangerous if you are binge drinking--- seems like these should require the same check if you are concerned about fake IDs.

Most of the bars and clubs in the DC area require your ID to be scanned before entering. Too many people have been busted for letting underage people in with fake IDs. This just ensures that your ID is real, and that the name that comes up when its scanned is the same name on the front.

I do have a problem though with this information being stored. Once the info is verified by the cashier or bouncer, it should be erased from the scanner's memory. There is no need for big brother to be tracking this stuff... not to mention, there is no guarantee that this information can't be stolen. I see another potential for major ID theft here.

Bingo. What does the state do with this information? Who gets hold of it, and what kind of mischief would they cause with it.

I'm a moderate drinker. One beer or glass of wine a night. Two a day on the weekend. Three if I'm at a party. Yet the last thing I want is the state keeping tabs on what I buy and when.

I'm 53 and it doesn't bother me at all for someone to card me. I do agree with those who say the gov't has no business preserving this information, however.

Also, what and how is Tennessee scanning? Can the machine tell if the person holding the card actually is or looks like the person pictured on the card? Can the machine scan ALL legal documents that may be used as legal ID, such as passports, out-of-state ID's, etc.?

Since driver's licenses are generally the only government issued IDs that have barcodes-- it will be used to scan only driver's licenses. Passports do not have a barcode.

For all those people who have their SSN on their drivers license, it would be a good idea to get a new license with out it. Either that or don't buy beer. :angry:

Since driver's licenses are generally the only government issued IDs that have barcodes-- it will be used to scan only driver's licenses. Passports do not have a barcode.

Which was sort of my question: Does that mean persons cannot buy beer with a passport? What about foreign tourists without driver's licenses?

Which was sort of my question: Does that mean persons cannot buy beer with a passport? What about foreign tourists without driver's licenses?

Not necessarily. It depends on how the law was written, but I can't imagine you would be able to turn away someone who had a passport as ID... it is afterall, a government issued ID which has your date of birth.

I live in TN and it is being said that this might be the beginning stages of a new law that some states have implemented where if you get a DUI a banner goes on your license and you cannot buy beer for a certain amount of time thats the only sense I can make out of this.

Archived