Nick Saban

Friedchickenman

I've pretty much held myself in check ever since Saban was hired and watched Alabama fans proclaim that their great heir to greatness has returned (for I guess the 7th time now?) but I can't hold it in any longer, the insufferable ignorance of your fans annoys me too greatly.

Saban is inheriting a pure mess, a team that has been under 4 years of lackluster workouts. it's going to take at the least a year and maybe 2 years or more I think to get that team to the level of conditioning that the other big boys in the SEC are at. Not to mention that even when it gets to that level the competition is going to be extremely tough as it always is, and even more now as I can't think of a single SEC team that hasn't improved in the past 5 years other than Alabama, a team that has sunk to a level below Mississippi State (the worst team in the SEC by all counts) and yet every Alabama fan I see thinks that they'll be back in three years, most of them think even less.

One final question for the Bama fans, If Saban comes in and goes on to have two mediocre years at the start (around 8-4 both times losing both Iron Bowls) then goes on to 10 win seasons or sometimes worse while still losing the majority of the Iron Bowls will you be happy with that? Saban had years of 8-4, 10-3, 8-5, 13-1, and 9-3 at LSU with the guaranteed top 5 recruiting class of LSU to help him along with that, I can only see his record staying the same as that if not worse. He was only 34-23-1 at Michigan State with three six win seasons, he failed in the pros, was 2-3 against Tuberville with LSU's talent, and yet you pay him the most of any coach in college football today?

Want to know how Saban really went 13-1? With a missed field goal by then what was recognized as the best field goal kicker in the nation at Ole Miss, then three missed field goals by Georgia. Do you really think you're going to get that kind of luck? Then there was the whole bluegrass miracle game. Not to mention that most of the time if you have a loss, you won't even have the chance to go to the title game, it's not even guaranteed if you go undefeated. Now I'm sure you're over there sitting on your Roll Tahd blow up recliner saying "Dat's Albarn, it won't happen to us if we go undefated." Let me ask this quick question then, who does the national media hate more, Alabama or Auburn?

It amazes me, it really does. That a fanbase can be so ignorant and blinded to the fact that no one in the United States really gives a crap about "Alabama Football and their Trahdition". Six out of the last ten national titles have gone to a school located in either Florida or California, yet everywhere I look you'd think that you just got the weapon to "beat them all and take over your rightful spot." Know what LSU's secret weapon was? It sure wasn't Saban. It was the recruiting power over Louisiana, Texas, Florida, and the Mobile area that school held and still does. Saban was a fool to leave LSU, and the fact is he knows it, why else do you think he would not want a buyout on his contract? He realizes how impetuous coaching at Alabama is, you expect everything that isn't yours to take. I like to describe it as the spoiled child effect, eventually the spoiled child gets out in the real world and doesn't know what to make of it. You were living in a dreamworld with national championships laid in your lap, that was then, this is now.

Nick Saban on average achieved 9.5-3 per season while at LSU. He did this with a top 5 recruiting class every year, most of the time the top ranked recruiting class. I think it's fairly reasonable to expect then that his average at Alabama will only be around 8-4, some years maybe 6-6, some years, 10-2, who knows maybe a luck filled 1 loss season like he had in 2003 but I doubt it. He wound up 2-3 against Tuberville so I suspect Tuberville will continue to hold the Iron Bowl series over Alabama. So the question is, Are 8-4 years with the majority of the Iron Bowls being lost to Auburn achieving your expectations? If not, then tough luck, it's what you're going to get.

This is what the media means when they say that Alabama fans have unrealistic expectations, and I still can't get over the fact that you don't even include a buyout clause in his contract when the man looked reporters straight in the face and said, "I will not be the head coach at Alabama." I suspect in two years he'll be saying, "I will not be the head coach at LSU" after your fans whine and moan for another head coach "to achieve the greatness of the tahd". Then in another three years I will be saying, "Fear the Last Thumb"

:thumbsup: Great post!

SSSSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Don't go broadcasting that kind of stuff!

Don'tcha remeber...we are afraid of S?

:P

Do you really think you're going to get that kind of luck?

Let me fill in for BamaGrad while he is finishing up with edging and blowing off my drive way.......

"I'd rather be lucky then good anyday"

Tell it like it is brother!

WDE! :cheer:

Another thing that the bammer nation doesn't realize is that Coach s has never been able to get ANY Assistant Coaches to go with him, whenever he left to go to another school. I've always said this and I'll say it again because it holds true, especially in bammer's case, "A Head Coach is only as good as 1). His Assistant Coaches, 2). His players, 3). The system."

Let me fill in for BamaGrad while he is finishing up with edging and blowing off my drive way.......

I think that was a bit much don't you? I mean...a stab at my socio-economic status...really?

As far as this post, it's tired. I could post the same crap about CTT. I can throw out statistics about how it took him 5 years to have his first 10 win season. Saban did it in his 2nd year at LSU.

CTT averages 8.9 wins per season...while benifitting from having his prime rival be down for 5 years.

All I'm saying is...we will see. Let's revisit this post in 3 years.

I think that was a bit much don't you? I mean...a stab at my socio-economic status...really?

As far as this post, it's tired. I could post the same crap about CTT. I can throw out statistics about how it took him 5 years to have his first 10 win season. Saban did it in his 2nd year at LSU.

CTT averages 8.9 wins per season...while benifitting from having his prime rival be down for 5 years.

In Tuberville's second year he had a nine win season, is there really that much difference between that and ten?

If you're going to say he averages 8.9 wins per season and then whine about your probation putting you down for five years at least include the right record and say that "in the past five years that we have been rightfully punished for buying out recruits like we have done for the past 30 years Tuberville has averaged 10 wins per season", which is the truth, instead of twisting the facts to weakly attempt to prove a point.

Oh, and no, you cannot post this same kind of argument about CTT because really you don't have much to post. He's beaten you five years in a row. He's led his team to an undefeated season. He's won coach of the year. He's led Auburn to the best record in the SEC since 2000.

My point in this post was not to say that Saban is a bad coach. He's almost as good as Tuberville in my opinion, but the facts remain. Tuberville has simply done the same or better than Saban with much less. I'm not going to sit here and say that we'll win all five of the next Iron Bowls (even though I did do so in my original post as a joke), but I am going to say that people that think that Saban is going to come in and have Auburn and the rest of the SEC (Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, Arkansas) just step aside in three years and Alabama will rule the SEC again are nothing more than idiots. It also only makes sense that Auburn will continue to beat Alabama more often than Alabama beats us. Saban went 2-3 against Tuberville with a number 1-3 recruting class every year compared to Tuberville's 10-15, why should I think he's going to do any better than that at Alabama when he's not going to be getting anywhere near the same talent?

In Tuberville's second year he had a nine win season, is there really that much difference between that and ten?

If you're going to say he averages 8.9 wins per season and then whine about your probation putting you down for five years at least include the right record and say that "in the past five years that we have been rightfully punished for buying out recruits like we have done for the past 30 years Tuberville has averaged 10 wins per season", which is the truth, instead of twisting the facts to weakly attempt to prove a point.

Oh, and no, you cannot post this same kind of argument about CTT because really you don't have much to post. He's beaten you five years in a row. He's led his team to an undefeated season. He's won coach of the year. He's led Auburn to the best record in the SEC since 2000.

My point in this post was not to say that Saban is a bad coach. He's almost as good as Tuberville in my opinion, but the facts remain. Tuberville has simply done the same or better than Saban with much less. I'm not going to sit here and say that we'll win all five of the next Iron Bowls (even though I did do so in my original post as a joke), but I am going to say that people that think that Saban is going to come in and have Auburn and the rest of the SEC (Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, LSU, Arkansas) just step aside in three years and Alabama will rule the SEC again are nothing more than idiots. It also only makes sense that Auburn will continue to beat Alabama more often than Alabama beats us. Saban went 2-3 against Tuberville with a number 1-3 recruting class every year compared to Tuberville's 10-15, why should I think he's going to do any better than that at Alabama when he's not going to be getting anywhere near the same talent?

I'm sure it's because it's Alabama. You know that they are the world's best team! (Or they think so.)

I've pretty much held myself in check ever since Saban was hired and watched Alabama fans proclaim that their great heir to greatness has returned (for I guess the 7th time now?) but I can't hold it in any longer, the insufferable ignorance of your fans annoys me too greatly.

Saban is inheriting a pure mess, a team that has been under 4 years of lackluster workouts. it's going to take at the least a year and maybe 2 years or more I think to get that team to the level of conditioning that the other big boys in the SEC are at. Not to mention that even when it gets to that level the competition is going to be extremely tough as it always is, and even more now as I can't think of a single SEC team that hasn't improved in the past 5 years other than Alabama, a team that has sunk to a level below Mississippi State (the worst team in the SEC by all counts) and yet every Alabama fan I see thinks that they'll be back in three years, most of them think even less.

One final question for the Bama fans, If Saban comes in and goes on to have two mediocre years at the start (around 8-4 both times losing both Iron Bowls) then goes on to 10 win seasons or sometimes worse while still losing the majority of the Iron Bowls will you be happy with that? Saban had years of 8-4, 10-3, 8-5, 13-1, and 9-3 at LSU with the guaranteed top 5 recruiting class of LSU to help him along with that, I can only see his record staying the same as that if not worse. He was only 34-23-1 at Michigan State with three six win seasons, he failed in the pros, was 2-3 against Tuberville with LSU's talent, and yet you pay him the most of any coach in college football today?

Want to know how Saban really went 13-1? With a missed field goal by then what was recognized as the best field goal kicker in the nation at Ole Miss, then three missed field goals by Georgia. Do you really think you're going to get that kind of luck? Then there was the whole bluegrass miracle game. Not to mention that most of the time if you have a loss, you won't even have the chance to go to the title game, it's not even guaranteed if you go undefeated. Now I'm sure you're over there sitting on your Roll Tahd blow up recliner saying "Dat's Albarn, it won't happen to us if we go undefated." Let me ask this quick question then, who does the national media hate more, Alabama or Auburn?

It amazes me, it really does. That a fanbase can be so ignorant and blinded to the fact that no one in the United States really gives a crap about "Alabama Football and their Trahdition". Six out of the last ten national titles have gone to a school located in either Florida or California, yet everywhere I look you'd think that you just got the weapon to "beat them all and take over your rightful spot." Know what LSU's secret weapon was? It sure wasn't Saban. It was the recruiting power over Louisiana, Texas, Florida, and the Mobile area that school held and still does. Saban was a fool to leave LSU, and the fact is he knows it, why else do you think he would not want a buyout on his contract? He realizes how impetuous coaching at Alabama is, you expect everything that isn't yours to take. I like to describe it as the spoiled child effect, eventually the spoiled child gets out in the real world and doesn't know what to make of it. You were living in a dreamworld with national championships laid in your lap, that was then, this is now.

Nick Saban on average achieved 9.5-3 per season while at LSU. He did this with a top 5 recruiting class every year, most of the time the top ranked recruiting class. I think it's fairly reasonable to expect then that his average at Alabama will only be around 8-4, some years maybe 6-6, some years, 10-2, who knows maybe a luck filled 1 loss season like he had in 2003 but I doubt it. He wound up 2-3 against Tuberville so I suspect Tuberville will continue to hold the Iron Bowl series over Alabama. So the question is, Are 8-4 years with the majority of the Iron Bowls being lost to Auburn achieving your expectations? If not, then tough luck, it's what you're going to get.

This is what the media means when they say that Alabama fans have unrealistic expectations, and I still can't get over the fact that you don't even include a buyout clause in his contract when the man looked reporters straight in the face and said, "I will not be the head coach at Alabama." I suspect in two years he'll be saying, "I will not be the head coach at LSU" after your fans whine and moan for another head coach "to achieve the greatness of the tahd". Then in another three years I will be saying, "Fear the Last Thumb"

Great Post ! Friedchickenman you said it all. Saban had a goldmine of talent at LSU. DiNardo recruited a solid group of players. When the honeymoon is over it will get real ugly.Bama fans are dilusional. Saban has no buyout clause. He owns Bama ! Mal Moore made a deal with the devil. It will be fun to watch.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but I wouldn't really call you our prime rival. I mean yes you are our most hated rival. But we have a much harder time trying to figure out how to beat LSU, Georgia, Florida, Arkansas, Tennessee and even South Carolina. Hell even Ole Miss gave us a closer game than ya'll did. So to say we are benefitting from you being down for the last 5 years is naive and egotistical in that everything has its equilibrium ok so you have fallen but just as you have fallen someone else has risen that we have to worry about.

For instance Florida was down for a while during the Zook era and is now back at the top of the league and South Carolina are now a tough team to beat as well with Spurrier there. The football world doesn't revolve around Bama and the fact that they are down doesn't mean "Oh well now everybody else has a chance to win" I mean yeah you've gotten beaten 5 years in a row but at the same time you haven't been that good for quite some time now whether you beat us or not.

As much as I hate bama for this very thing I get pumped up and more nervous for teams like LSU, Florida and Georgia becuase I know those games have significance in the conference and national picture. I get pumped up for the Bama game simply to be able to say haha we beat you again!

while benifitting from having his prime rival be down for 5 years.

I thought this was handled in the "Auburn Only Beats Us When We're Down" thread in the classics section..

Talk about tired BG....sheesh...... :thumbsdown:

while benifitting from having his prime rival be down for 5 years.

I thought this was handled in the "Auburn Only Beats Us When We're Down" thread in the classics section..

Talk about tired BG....sheesh...... :thumbsdown:

those bammers love throwing this excuse around. They will still be using it in 30 years.

PRime rival?? uat?? most hated?? YES. ALWAYS. UAT needs to be in contention for something other than a top 4 SEC WEST finish before they are worthy of being a prime rival of us again.

I'd love to revisit this thread in 3 years, when uat starts their hiring circus all over again. It makes for great entertainment. Next 5th choice here I come..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived