Bama scrimmage numbers confirming what we thought

BamaGrad03

Lots and lots of offensive numbers put up. Don't have the actual stats, I'm sure they'll come out. Terry Grant tore up the D as did JPW. Receivers put up big numbers.

Tells me we have some skills on offense...but possibly more indicative of where we are on defense.

I really think if Bama beats and of the top 5 teams on their schedule (AU, UGA, FSU, LSU, UT) it will be a track meet. 31-30 type games.

It would be interesting to see an Iron Bowl shootout, the last time it was the 1995 game with a final of 31-27.

Statistics from Saturday’s scrimmage: RollTide.com

PASSING

John Parker Wilson – 13 for 22, 231 yards, 2 TDs, 1 Int.; Greg McElroy – 16 of 26, 201 yards, 3 TDs, O Int.; Nick Fanuzzi – 4 for 9, 24 yards, 0 TDs, 2 Int.; Thomas Darrah – 5 for 6, 72 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int.

RUSHING

Terry Grant – 15 rush, 110 yards, 1 TD; Jimmy Johns – 10 rush, 39 yards, 1 TD; Glen Coffee – 4 rush, 15 yards.

RECEIVING

Matt Caddell – 4 rec., 48 yards; Nikita Stover – 3 rec., 61 yards, 1 TD; Glen Coffee – 3 rec., 38 yards; Terry Grant – 3 rec., 38 yards; Keith Brown – 3 rec., 37 yards, 1 TD; Jimmy Johns – 3 rec., 26 yards; DJ Hall – 2 rec., 41 yards; Preston Dial – 2 rec., 22 yards, 1 TD; Marquis Maze – 2 rec., 21 yards, 1 TD; Mike McCoy – 1 rec., 50 yards, 1 TD; Travis McCall – 1 rec., 43 yards; Baron Huber – 1 rec., 3 yards, 1 TD.

FIELD GOALS

Jamie Christensen – Made: 42, 21; Missed 31. Leigh Tiffin – Made: 51, 21.

PUNTS

P.J. Fitzgerald – 8 punts, 301 yards, 37.6-yard average.

TACKLES

Bobby Greenwood – 5 tackles, 1 QB Sack (6 yards); Rashad Johnson – 5 tackles; Wallace Gilberry – 4 tackles, 3 QB Sacks (14 yards); Brandon Fanney – 4 tackles, 1 QB Sack (6 yards); Darren Mustin – 4 tackles; 1 Pass Break Up; Chris Rogers – 4 tackles, 1 Interception; Javier Arenas – 4 tackles; Tremayne Coger – 4 tackles.

SCORING

Grant 22-yard run (Tiffin PAT)

Tiffin 51-yard FG

Christensen 42-yards FG

Maze 24-yard pass from Darrah (Christensen PAT)

McCoy 50-yard pass from Wilson (PAT not attempted)

Stover 50-yards pass from McElroy (PAT not attempted)

Tiffin 21-yard FG

Johns 18-yard run (PAT not attempted)

Brown 13-yards pass from McElroy (PAT not attempted)

Huber 3-yard pass from Wilson (PAT not attempted)

Dial 3-yard pass from McElroy (PAT not attempted)

Good news --Offense has improved since Spring.

Bad news -- Defense allowed a ton of points and yards.

I think the most impressive stat of Bama's scrimmage is from Greg McElroy. I've thought that y'all's biggest weakness going into this season was the backup QB. Sounds like he did well. Or the D was that bad. Sorry but Bama may be looking at some serious blowouts if they don't fix their D-line.

I don't think scrimmage numbers mean a lot. I am not saying Bama is better or worse than what appears in the stats, but traditionally I have found scrimmage statistics to be practically worthless from any team.

1. Coaches are usually experimenting with personnel and trying different looks.

2. True offensive and defensive schemes are never fully revealed to the public before the season. Barely half the playbook would be available in an open scrimmage.

3. There are always a number of players who play better than they practice and vice versa.

Has Auburn had any scrimmages yet? I have read a little about their practices, but no scrimmage numbers.

I don't think scrimmage numbers mean a lot. I am not saying Bama is better or worse than what appears in the stats, but traditionally I have found scrimmage statistics to be practically worthless from any team.

1. Coaches are usually experimenting with personnel and trying different looks.

2. True offensive and defensive schemes are never fully revealed to the public before the season. Barely half the playbook would be available in an open scrimmage.

3. There are always a number of players who play better than they practice and vice versa.

Has Auburn had any scrimmages yet? I have read a little about their practices, but no scrimmage numbers.

Defense usually dominates early scrimmages. You appear have issues on D....

:au::homer:

Bama's front seven on defense will kill them in their big games this year. It's not good and has very little depth.

Bama's front seven on defense will kill them in their big games this year. It's not good and has very little depth.

So what you're sayin' is, they not good, but they stink too.... :)

:au::homer:

So is Satan 2-0 now?

2-1. The defense lost saturday.

2-2 - someone had to lose at A-Day

Nah, the 1-1 draw on A day counted as a moral victory, thus nullifying the 1-1 number becoming a 1-0 number :)

Another possible concern I have...our new spread out offense seems to hinge on big gains and quick hitting scores.

Even if that works perfectly, it still means our defense is on the field for a VERY long time. We don't have the depth for that.

PASSING

John Parker Wilson – 13 for 22, 231 yards, 2 TDs, 1 Int.; Greg McElroy – 16 of 26, 201 yards, 3 TDs, O Int.; Nick Fanuzzi – 4 for 9, 24 yards, 0 TDs, 2 Int.; Thomas Darrah – 5 for 6, 72 yards, 1 TD, 1 Int.

RUSHING

Terry Grant – 15 rush, 110 yards, 1 TD; Jimmy Johns – 10 rush, 39 yards, 1 TD; Glen Coffee – 4 rush, 15 yards.

RECEIVING

Matt Caddell – 4 rec., 48 yards; Nikita Stover – 3 rec., 61 yards, 1 TD; Glen Coffee – 3 rec., 38 yards; Terry Grant – 3 rec., 38 yards; Keith Brown – 3 rec., 37 yards, 1 TD; Jimmy Johns – 3 rec., 26 yards; DJ Hall – 2 rec., 41 yards; Preston Dial – 2 rec., 22 yards, 1 TD; Marquis Maze – 2 rec., 21 yards, 1 TD; Mike McCoy – 1 rec., 50 yards, 1 TD; Travis McCall – 1 rec., 43 yards; Baron Huber – 1 rec., 3 yards, 1 TD.

FIELD GOALS

PUNTS

TACKLES

Bobby Greenwood – 5 tackles, 1 QB Sack (6 yards); Rashad Johnson – 5 tackles; Wallace Gilberry – 4 tackles, 3 QB Sacks (14 yards); Brandon Fanney – 4 tackles, 1 QB Sack (6 yards); Darren Mustin – 4 tackles; 1 Pass Break Up; Chris Rogers – 4 tackles, 1 Interception; Javier Arenas – 4 tackles; Tremayne Coger – 4 tackles.

SCORING

Tiffin 51-yard FG

Christensen 42-yards FG

Tiffin 21-yard FG

Do you know if you add up the Quarterbacks stats they were:

38 of 63 for 528 yards w/6 TD's

And the receivers were:

28 receptions for 428 yards w/6 TD's

How does that happen?

And the receivers were:

How does that happen?

Saban's greatness must be rubbing off on the team.

And the receivers were:

How does that happen?

Scrimmages are all relative. It's always situational work and never really comparable to a real game.

I think he's saying that the stats read:

36 completions...

28 receptions... ????

Saban needs to fire another statistician (sp?)

PASSING

RUSHING

RECEIVING

FIELD GOALS

PUNTS

TACKLES

SCORING

Tiffin 51-yard FG

Christensen 42-yards FG

Tiffin 21-yard FG

And the receivers were:

How does that happen?

It's that whole space time continuoum that sabban has trouble with. Genuis sometimes carries a high price.

Well since they concur on the number of touchdowns I can only assume that once they get to numbers above 21 there are bound to be errors. Maybe 20. Just not sure on who has what there.

Well since they concur on the number of touchdowns I can only assume that once they get to numbers above 21 there are bound to be errors. Maybe 20. Just not sure on who has what there.

Nah, we just made sure to score before we got to the red zone.

And the receivers were:

How does that happen?

Scrimmages are all relative. It's always situational work and never really comparable to a real game.

I guess that's kinda like NC's?

And the receivers were:

How does that happen?

I guess that's kinda like NC's?

Yet another Auburn fans bringing up Bama's NCs. And WE'RE the ones who can't talk about anything else? Hey, for fun, why don't you bring up something about Coach Bryant too?

Archived